Tyre Choices... The hardest decision!

Hey Guys,

So about 3 weeks ago I finally decided to replace my AD08r's since they were wearing pretty thin! At the time i was a bit short on cash and didn't want to spend £500+ on some more AD08r's despite the fact they are worth every penny.

So I headed to Camskill and searched for what I could get at a decent price, I decided to go for 4x Goodyear Eagle F1 ASM2's since I had heard a lot of good things about them with great traction in both the dry and wet. Oh i also opted to go a little wider and get 225 rather than 215's. And they came in only at £330!
At first I thought they were pretty good but really lacking the feel and rigidity of the AD08's although the softness did make for a bit of a better ride. And they are very good in the wet!

So after about a week of ownership I took to Brands Hatch for a track evening and was bitterly disappointed, I know they really aren't a track focused tyre but I really didn't expect them to overheat as quickly as they did over just four, not extremely hard, laps. They felt pretty good on track at first, a lot more roll in the sidewalls than the AD08's, but pretty good grip and feel considering they are a road tyre. But as they got hot the car just became very skittish and a bit unpredictable.

So after that I made the decision they had to be changed since over the summer I am planning quite a few track days/evenings. After doing some research on here I found that alot of guys have been using the Nankang NS-2r tyres and have been raving about them a fair bit, and in come tests they have been performing better than the AD08's.

So on Tuesday i've got some Nankangs being fitted in 225/45 17 in the 180 medium compound, I'll then be heading back to Brands on Thursday so will report back then but was wondering if anyone else had the same problems with their Eagle F1's? And if anyone runs them as track tyres!

Cheers!

I've got some Syrons to try out shortly... They've had good reviews too :smile: I'll be doing a track evening at brands next month with them!

[MENTION=4271]leeboy[/MENTION] assuming you've received them all okay?

Jesus at that price you cant go far wrong! Let us all know how you get on with them!

I hope Thursday is a dry outing but I seriously have my doubts at the moment! Maybe I should have stuck with the asm2's!

Can the Syron's be used on the road ok, and what are they like in the wet?
I have AD08's on at the moment.

They are Road legal but are quite soft and only come with something like 5.5mm of tread from new. As an alternative if you are willing to go to a 225 width look at Bridgestone Potenza RE070 from Camskill for around £80 a corner, they come with just over 7mm tread and would be a slightly harder compound yet still softer than a normal road tyre.

I'm very happy with the ns2rs really good grip and not too loud at all I payed 350 for a set of 4

Last edited:
I'll be fitting my syrons on Thursday morning ready for my evening session at brands :smile: will give a update once fitted and on track!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Clio General Chat 2
N Car Parts For Sale 1
mb77 Clio 200 Area 15
DrDx Wheels and Tyres 15
S Wheels and Tyres 15