Top speed?

But do you both have the same gearbox, and are you talking about displayed speed or GPS speed?

230km/h = 143mph which is about the same as the displayed speed of an early gearbox car on the rev limiter.

With a later gearbox car, the impact will be a touch further down the rev range, where the car isn't yet developing peak power or torque, and is therefore overwhelmed by the drag.

Also maintenance can make quite a difference too.

But do you both have the same gearbox, and are you talking about displayed speed or GPS speed?

230km/h = 143mph which is about the same as the displayed speed of an early gearbox car on the rev limiter.

With a later gearbox car, the impact will be a touch further down the rev range, where the car isn't yet developing peak power or torque, and is therefore overwhelmed by the drag.

Also maintenance can make quite a difference too.

Same gearbox, looking at the display speed.

Both cars are maintained properly.

Although, I've never tried his car, but he claims that he can't go >215km/h.

151 :smile: indicated. so take a little off. not 10% though, as i find the clio speedo to be much more accurate to true speed than any previous cars i have owned.

TBH the speedo and GPS have always been beween 2/3 mph when I have checked, maybe 4/5mph at that speed but it is still good.

130mph down Conrod Straight at Mt Panorama, Bathurst (GPS - speedo probably showing 140 but I wasn't looking as there was a corner coming up :smile:). This was in my 172 though.

Have done 160+ on various sportsbikes.

Had 140 (on the speedo) that was in the 197 on a massive downhill straight with no interuptions.

Had the old car, S3 at 160, and the clio didn't feel any less stable

132 -135ish not to hard to get the 197 there. been 145 in a bmer 5 series estate diesel but lets be fare its not all about the top end and the indicated speed is shot in the dark. I would be fairly confident turning in in the clio regardless of the number on the dial!

Off the 160mph clock (162gps) accelerating on the flat, backed off for a incline/corner but it was still pulling, my impreza.

Last edited: