Top speed?

Purely on tracks or private roads mind you as I won't be condoning speeding!

Just curious as a trip to France in my 328i involved around 150mph and the car felt as safe as houses. I've had my trophy around the 110 Mark and it felt very light.

I think the most I've had out of the 197 is about 85mph, so just curious if anyone had tested the top end out and how it felt!

@ Elvington, had 130+ out of it and it felt perfectly fine. I have done less in other cars and they felt a lot more uneasy!

Also done 130, felt like my old Clio doing 80. No worries, gets there a bit too easy if you ask me :s

Fastest ive bin was 155mph in a 2005 sti subaru impreza was fine nice and chilled felt ok and in the vee i ve bin 145mph a few times but its not so good in that feel very light but i think i could push it a bit more if i had some brave pills.

Also done 130, felt like my old Clio doing 80. No worries, gets there a bit too easy if you ask me :s

Did you not find that the last 10mph (120-130) took an age to get there though? I know that air resistance is like hitting a wall at that kind of speed, it just felt like a very long time. But I agree that 110/120 is very easy to achieve!

i think i'm going to miss my current car when i get my clio :worried:
i've accepted that the clio won't be anywhere near as quick, but it should be fun enough to make up for that, and more importantly, not 20 years old.... ha ha

130? Is that all the 197 will give??

I had 130 out of my CLIO 1.2tce... It had been remapped tho.. I would have hoped you could atleast get 140 - 145 from a 197 :,-(

Fastest I've been was 145 in my brothers Corsa vxr :smile:

Had 135 on the speedo, felt absolutely rock solid at that speed. I would go as far as saying it feels more and more planted the faster you go

130? Is that all the 197 will give??

I had 130 out of my CLIO 1.2tce... It had been remapped tho.. I would have hoped you could atleast get 140 - 145 from a 197 :,-(

Fastest I've been was 145 in my brothers Corsa vxr :smile:

It will get there , indicated speed at least not sure about actual speed.

I wouldnt fancy the clio much over 130 is quiute light with naff all to keep it on the road.
Also has no torque which means pushing against the air is going to be very difficult.
Pete

My clio tops out at 151........ Hits the limiter in 6th and a big cloud of smoke plooms from the back lol.

Id like to add these were all on private roads for legal reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
My clio tops out at 151........ Hits the limiter in 6th and a big cloud of smoke plooms from the back lol.

Id like to add these were all on private roads for legal reasons.

Your speaking from first hand experience with the black cloud of smoke eh woody ?
Cant imagine 150 in the Clio! Thats insane Ive got to 130 and it had some more left, but got a bit worried about the old over head gantry's, got speed camera paranoia :001_huh:

I've had 120 out of mine and tbh I bottled it and began slowing down, all that starts going through my head is "what if a wheel comes off now?" :rofl:

went to 135 in my 197, but only been up to 130 in the 200. Didnt feel like it would do much more though, even with the longer ratios.