197: Test driving

Hi everyone, i test drove a 197 a few month ago and they only needed to see proof of full driving license which i had in my wallet (the card) .... they didnt need any documents off me

i visited a evans halshaw garage yesterday wanting to test drive yet another 197 that had come up for sale near me with all the spec i want and they refused me it due to no proof of insurance on current vehicle and no proof of bank details. Now im confused to what i need for a test drive? would they really need bank details for a test drive as i arent paying for one

Please shed some light on this for me as im confused now

Thanks

Carl

thats whats confused me as jct600 only wanted to see i had a license but thats maybe due to them wanting to know i can drive lol :smile: as for insurance and stuff i think evans halshaw were just being nosey

When I went to test drive my 200 I was asked to bring both parts of my license (card and paper) + my certificate of motor insurance.

Just take those along they should let you have a spin :smiley:

Must not have liked the look of you ;-) were you in trackies a Nike cap and a fake Lacoste t-shirt?

If so it doesn't normally work for me haha

Must not have liked the look of you ;-) were you in trackies a Nike cap and a fake Lacoste t-shirt?

If so it doesn't normally work for me haha

sadly im not like that :smile: 3/4's and summer shirt with pumps so no quite matching your description

Must have just wanted to double check and be re-assured i guess

thats whats confused me as jct600 only wanted to see i had a license but thats maybe due to them wanting to know i can drive lol :smile: as for insurance and stuff i think evans halshaw were just being nosey

In Leeds? Which car did you test?

The most I've ever been asked for was a signature lol and that was from the above

When I test drove I was asked to arrange my own insurance so needed driving licence and insurance certificate... But they did let me take the car for a whole day, not your usual spin round the block!

As with the others, I've never been checked. Some companies don't like time-wasters though and VW didn't let me test drive the car until I paid a deposit - WTF?!

Hi everyone, i test drove a 197 a few month ago and they only needed to see proof of full driving license which i had in my wallet (the card) .... they didnt need any documents off me

i visited a evans halshaw garage yesterday wanting to test drive yet another 197 that had come up for sale near me with all the spec i want and they refused me it due to no proof of insurance on current vehicle and no proof of bank details. Now im confused to what i need for a test drive? would they really need bank details for a test drive as i arent paying for one

Please shed some light on this for me as im confused now

Thanks

Carl

Forgive me for asking, but if you have already test driven a 197 and know what the score is, why are you test driving another? Other than the difference between a cup/FF they will all handle exactly the same.

It just sounds like they are trying to filter out time wasters which in this case looks like its worked? If your serious about this 197 as it has the spec you want then just put a deposit down and watch them bend over backwards to please you with test drives to your hearts content.

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking, but if you have already test driven a 197 and know what the score is, why are you test driving another? Other than the difference between a cup/FF they will all handle exactly the same.

It just sounds like they are trying to filter out time wasters which in this case looks like its worked? If your serious about this 197 as it has the spec you want then just put a deposit down and watch them bend over backwards to please you with test drives to your hearts content.

It's a 197 so it's not a new car.

I looked at 14/15 cars before i bought mine, i test drove over half of them. if it's not a new car and has a fair bit of mileage you want to be test driving it.

Don't want to pay for it then 10 miles down the road find it pulls to the left (it will anyway :rofl:smile: and all the ball joints are knacked.

Got my car last month and all I had to do was give them my card license and then they let me go out on my own, couldnt fault them lol as it gave me the chance to give it a proper test drive

I've been asked for my plastic part of my driving license before but nothing else. Not sure why garages are asking to see insurance certificates, any test drive should be on their insurance!

Because if you're spending 7/8k of your own cash you'd want to make sure its in order? Check for any issues etc?!

Because if you're spending 7/8k of your own cash you'd want to make sure its in order? Check for any issues etc?!

True i forgot alot of the 197s are out of warranty period now my bad! If this wasnt the case then my previous comment is still valid :tongueout:

Some I've had a test drive at have asked for both parts and some just asked for the card. I've not been asked at some places too.

Ive never been asked for either when've test driven stuff. Once a guy just threw me the keys and stuck som plates in the window and let me and the gf go out for a blast lol. Although in fairness the car turned out to be a total dog so he was probably too embarrassed to sit in it with me!

Ive never been asked for either when've test driven stuff. Once a guy just threw me the keys and stuck som plates in the window and let me and the gf go out for a blast lol. Although in fairness the car turned out to be a total dog so he was probably too embarrassed to sit in it with me!

Was'nt at liverpool that was it? same happened to me there, nimbus cup.

Never asked for licence on any of the other drives i had but when trying the one i bought i was asked to give all my details beforehand.