Test driving a 250 tonight...!

Well here I find myself again, the 197 not really doing it for me anymore and trying to get out of this modifying game. Of all the cars I've looked into for a replacement over the years ( Civic FN2, Evo, 350z, S2000 and a 250 ) only one car tempted me away from the clios and it was an oyster grey 250 Cup. At the time I wasn't in a financial position to commit but I'm now looking at some fairly tidy used models for under 15k!

So anyway booked another test drive with the same dealer tonight just to make sure I remembered how nice it was correctly and then the only ITB'd 197 could be up for sale soon...

Anyone going to talk me out of it lol?

Only thing I can say is in comparison the enjoyment might not be the same, the 265 I drove left me wanting to get back in the Clio. Faster yes, a bit more refined yes, more grip yes BUT just not as fun as revving the valves off the Clio and taking massive liberties with corners.

For the extra cost and insurance... not for me at the moment.

Extra insurance? Mine was cheaper than the 200 due to being newer and there being less of them on the roads so statisticly they are involved in less crashes... or some such BS. Either way i wasnt complaining :smile:

Extra insurance? Mine was cheaper than the 200 due to being newer and there being less of them on the roads so statisticly they are involved in less crashes... or some such BS. Either way i wasnt complaining :smile:

....mine is cheaper than a 200 to insure too....more 'grown up' perhaps...except for the tyres, I have found the running costs of my Meg250 to be less than the Clio's I have had previous...it is slightly better on the MPG.....

Already checked insurance, a standard 250 is cheaper to insure than a caged and ITB'd 197 lol.

Have driven one before and pretty much as everyone says, feels lazy and heavy but its a train down the straights.

Already checked insurance, a standard 250 is cheaper to insure than a caged and ITB'd 197 lol.

Have driven one before and pretty much as everyone says, feels lazy and heavy but its a train down the straights.

Fancy a Clio with a Meg 250 Engine. Best of both worlds and save yourself a few quid????

Lol it's tempting but hardly help me get out of the modding game.

Why you selling up? Thought you were well chuffed with it.

Lol it's tempting but hardly help me get out of the modding game.

Why you selling up? Thought you were well chuffed with it.

Its superb but if I'm honest...trying to get out moddin' game too. Its like a crack habit, thats never ending and I need to know when to stop before I go too far and the cars got 400bhp but turned into something that spends more time in the garage than on the road. Need some rehab for a couple of years, but not as easy as I thought.....I've driven a 250. Def more grown up but couldn't justify the extra money and the cost to change, plus before long I'd be mappin it etc.....and you know the rest!!!! lol

Good luck anyway

Last edited:
Cheers mate I already swore to myself if I get one I'm only doing exhaust, remap, intercooler and some track worthy pads THAT'S IT!...... Maybe

Thats the thing though, once you get it on track you'll start wanting to change stuff. The track is where the Megane loses out to the Clio IMO.

Road: Meg wins
Track: Clio wins

I drove them both back to back on track before (my 197 vs 250 meg, then back in my Clio) and they're worlds apart in terms of fun and feeling. If your trying to avoid mods, and buy the meg, you'll need to avoid tracks too or in no time you'll be looking at bigger disks, better suspsension etc :smiley:

Im looking for something I can use everyday for work, weekend toy and an occasional track weapon. Far from an evo/scooby the megane fits the bill perfectly?

I prefer the meg everyday of the week, until I want a seat of pants fun.

The Clio is then the car of choice. As for faster on track......

The track would decide that but I'd say a pro driver would get the meg round quicker on 99% of tracks.

I prefer the meg everyday of the week, until I want a seat of pants fun.

The Clio is then the car of choice. As for faster on track......

The track would decide that but I'd say a pro driver would get the meg round quicker on 99% of tracks.

If the Clio had the LSD it might keep up on 1% but I think it's always going to be slower, where's the fun in being faster than everything though?! :smiley:

Im looking for something I can use everyday for work, weekend toy and an occasional track weapon. Far from an evo/scooby the megane fits the bill perfectly?

I wasn't doubting you choice, just saying for track use the Clio is, and (and short of spending a lot of money) always will be the better track car IMO. But the Meg is the better/nicer car on the road, which since I'm guessing like most people your car will spend the majority of its life doing normal stuff makes it the better car overall.

If the Clio had the LSD it might keep up on 1% but I think it's always going to be slower, where's the fun in being faster than everything though?! :smiley:

I've always said the Clio is more fun than the meg but it doesn't make it quicker in a pro drivers hands.

But for day to day living the meg is easier to live with. I'm not knocking the Clio is anyway I love mine hence why I didn't trade it in.

Gonna agree with Mental tbh. How often does one go on track days? Once a month? The Meg is definitely the better car for those other 29days of the month where your just driving "normally".

I would do it.

In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing the Megane is quicker on the track. They drive great on the track in fact i say this from having driven both on track.

And

As mentioned above its a better car 99% of the time ( 1% being those times when only NA will do ie tight twisty back roads) However on the road you wont notice the diffrence in the advantage NA gives you .

Megane is a fantastic car speced with the 5 spoke wheels, leather and sight and light pack its a must have :smile: :wink: