Thoughts on the new driving test system

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11462155

More un-supervised assessment is the bottom line. But do you think this will help make safer drivers?

I think key parts of a driving exam should cover:
Car maintenance and road-worthiness.
Road Etiquette
Driving with the flow of traffic (IE drive at an appropriate speed)
Improvised navigation (WITHOUT a satnav)

But then i also think there should be several levels of examination:
Basic Driving Test
Motorway Driving Test
High Power / Performance car test (197s and 200s included :tongue_smilie:smile:

DISCUSS!
-AJ

Some of the things you have said youd like on tests currently are.

Car maintenance and road-worthiness. -- basic checks are tested, oil level, coolent, bulbs, tyre tread etc.
Road Etiquette -- odd area this as how people use the roads isnt always correct dispite the way its done.
Driving with the flow of traffic (IE drive at an appropriate speed) -- many people fail on account of going under speed. (failed on it my self)
Improvised navigation (WITHOUT a satnav). just last week this was brought in.

the maintenance part of the test is a joke really... if you cant find the oil dipstick or the washer fluid fill cap... you should be allowed to drive a car.

Etiquette is very much in the eye of the beholder, but people need reminding of basics like 'merge in turn' and 'give way to the right' and 'letting a car in front of you will not add any time to your journey'

the improv navigation has been brought in recently according to the article, it would be interesting to see how it is implemented though.

No test atall i think just take lots of money from you like insurance lol.

On a serious note.

Car maintence (I know a few females that have never opened a bonnet.
Road Etiquette
Motorway Driving
Skid pad training (Not for drifting)

Ever see on top gear were they shown what the Finnish driving test included. Skip pan - definitely a good idea.

Under the bonnet - the instructor should cover it in first few lessons (my opinion)

and manoeuvres going to 1 instead of 2, not to sure about this :-/

Its not just females, a lad at work who is in his late 20's been driving since 17 came in the office the other week and told me his red oil light was on all the way to work, 'what does it mean' he asked, when i told him he needed to put oil in it he said i thought they did all that when it gets serviced. I told him it needed topping up and after ten mins under the hood he then came back in to ask 'where do you put it????'

Its not just females, a lad at work who is in his late 20's been driving since 17 came in the office the other week and told me his red oil light was on all the way to work, 'what does it mean' he asked, when i told him he needed to put oil in it he said i thought they did all that when it gets serviced. I told him it needed topping up and after ten mins under the hood he then came back in to ask 'where do you put it????'

Theres always one that lets us men down :jumpon::jumpon::jumpon::jumpon:

I personally think the driving test system should be made harder than it is! Too much clueless idiots passing now a days!

Typical examples being the little 17 year old boys whizzin about in their Corsa/Clio/Fiesta's flat out and not having a bloody clue! And also i have noticed a fair amount of female drivers that sit 10+mph over the speed limit all the time and think they are safe but have no idea how to control a car if it went into some sort of spin! The reason i say female due to all the male 17 year old guys i know passing actually put themselves in positions in abandoned fields etc to learn how to control stuff, im not saying they have total control but they have a slight more of an idea.

I personally think the system should allow no more than 5 minors in the test. My driving instructor when i was learning (my uncle) shouts at his pupils if they go below say 56mph in a 60 zone due to it could be holding up traffic (obviously allows lower speed where needed such as bends or bad bits of road and rain etc). It also gives drivers a huge confidence boost learning on a strict schedule.

Also doesnt matter if they are 17 or 57, why do people STILL stay in the right lane to go straight on at a freaking roundabout when it CLEARLY states right turns only! Really grinds my gears.

There is also all the stereo typical drivers that i won't rant about.

Anyways, yes i am a total c*nt of a driver myself but only because i am a person who stays to the rules and outwith where it is 100% safe.

My driving instructor when i was learning (my uncle) shouts at his pupils if they go below say 56mph in a 60 zone due to it could be holding up traffic (obviously allows lower speed where needed such as bends or bad bits of road and rain etc).

Sounds like my instructor... used to shout at me for everything :smile:
Passed my test first time though, so it must have worked!

Liam speaks the truth.

He is not that much of a bad driver, but then, I haven't been out with him, but he has been out in my little beastie :smile: