Stereo upgrade

The 6 cd changer in my 197 seems to have taken a dislike to ejecting CDs. Is it possible to upgrade the system yet keep the dash display and steering wheel controls.

Right guys from doing some searching on here, it is possible to change the system for an after market one.

Correct me if I'm wrong the iso leads are behind the dash which you unplug from the extension leads which run down to under the seat. You then have to extended the ariel wire from under the seat up behind the dash.

What i cant find out is about the steering wheel controls do you have to extend them up from under the seat?

What systems have you guys put in?, I'm not to bothered about the display working

Right guys from doing some searching on here, it is possible to change the system for an after market one.

Correct me if I'm wrong the iso leads are behind the dash which you unplug from the extension leads which run down to under the seat. You then have to extended the ariel wire from under the seat up behind the dash.

What i cant find out is about the steering wheel controls do you have to extend them up from under the seat?

What systems have you guys put in?, I'm not to bothered about the display working
In regards to the ISO leads and aerial wire, you're correct. The ISO leads are indeed behind the dash, and the aerial wire extension will need to run from the unit under the seat to behind the dash. The steering wheel controls sit between the headunit and original ISO leads if I remember correctly. There isn't much space but the steering wheel control unit/wires will fit. You may find the whole installation easier with the glovebox taken out. There is a how-to guide on here, but it's a quick and easy job to do.

There is a unit to keep the original dash display working with the headunit, more information can be found in this thread link and the unit can be purchased from here but at near enough £100 it's not cheap. I believe that if you purchase the unit to keep the dash display, you won't need the steering wheel one as the latter is part of the former, however i'd double check that. I went with a cheap Alpine mechless headunit with Aux, USB and Bluetooth in combination with the steering wheel controls. The headunit itself was only £50 from halfords and i've had no problems with it at all, so don't be put off by the cheaper units. Hope this helps :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions