Notchy gear box?? Clutch feel funny??

Before i start this thread, i think this would be worth while getting it pinned by one the moderators as people may find it quite useful?

After few weeks of ownership and using the car, i noticed that the when changing gear high up rev range and trying too to do quick gear change the box felt notchy. This wasn't a common theme, was summit that happened now and then. I know i will not be only one with this sort issue.

with a track day due, i changed the gear box oil for reno stuff which improved the gearbox, felt smoother. At time of doing this i had put
AP racing fluid in as we bled the brakes.

So i went to cadwell park and during the day the notchy box became more and more common but when going into gear it did so without crunching or grinding!!

After the drive home and using car next day, still knew summit wasn't right. So i ordered some fuchs synthetic transmission thinking that reno stuff maybe wasnt good enough for the job or i had been sold the wrong grade of oil. We changed to the fuchs and made no difference, the issue with notchy box was still there but again the box was not crunching or grinding.

another day or so of use i had convinced myself that even though i was fully depressing the clutch it didnt actually feel like was fully depressing... which left two options. duff clutch or slave cylinder issue.

With this i started asking few questions too people in the know with these. 1st question everyone asked was if changed gearbox oil which i had. After explaining my thoughts on the clutch, the general advice was bleed the slave cylinder as chances are it's never been changed since day one and also it may have boiled it due to never been able to be cooled.

So this afternoon car was up on the ramps, again! lol and with help of my dad, we bleed the slave cylinder. All that come out was extremely brown / crappy fluid with tiny air bubbles in it. We bleed it twice too make sure everything was out and plenty fresh stuff in the system. Again used 5.1 fluid.

Jumped in the car and soon as put foot on clutch pedal there was a noticeable difference. The clutch pedal felt positive and could feel pressure against pedal where as before felt sloppy/ flat. Selecting gears was alot easier and glided in with ease when stood still.

Been for a good drive in the car and gear changes are perfect now , how you'd expect it too be. Smooth and quick!! no notchy gear changes!!!

Problem solved - fingers crossed!!

Im one these people that believe if theres a issue i have to get it sorted or get too bottom off it. It bugs me!! I can not leave it lol

My advice people is , make sure get your slave cylinder bled. Dont matter if been on track, just 20k plus mileage of clutch changing abuse will take its tole.

I believe people may think they actually have a gear box issue and it may not be the case Or they have just accepted how the gear changes are / clutch feel is , believe its just down to age / mileage when in reality it doesnt have too be the case, which maybe can be easily sorted and bring back a newer feel to clutch and gear changes.

.....More worrying is people may have forked out for new boxes or box refurbs with new clutchs / slave cylinders and it maybe hasnt been needed....

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but its a inexpensive job and can easily be done. Got too be worth doing IMO as sure you'll see a noticeable improvement.

Took some pictures of what need to be looking for below and bit of a how to...

how do bit..

The black moulding with metal pipe running too it has a bleed nipple and button at the top of it. have feel for it.

You need to push the metal pipe with grey clip on end out of the bracket from the box.

Pressure up brake fluid system ( 10 psi ) with easy bleed brake kit.

Push the button in and then pull the plastic moulding outwards ONE click.

This will allow fluid to flow out.

When happy getting clean fluid through, push mouding back inwards ONE click and let the button set.

Push the grey clip on metal pipe back into bracket and go check got pressure when depressing the clutch.

Pump it few times and check for any leaks to make sure all gone back with no issues.

Job done

Pic...

10169074_853111758048265_1154371954_n.jpg

10152989_853111761381598_1461830136_n.jpg

This can be done on drive if you have correct tools and gear (ramps) to have car raised safely or a local garage should be able to this no problem and wont charge you much as not a massive job.

Sorry for waffling on lol but hope this will be a use too some people and will improve any issues people are having.

Would also like to add a massive thanks to Mike Noble for his advice and info on this, he been really helpful on this! so cheers matey!

Last edited:
I had an air lock in my clutch hydraulic system after I had my brakes swapped and fluid changed

Found at at 100mph at cadwell too. Gear change was getting noticeably worse as the fluid was getting hotter and the air pocket was expanding causing loss of clutch pedal. Had to wait fir it to cool down before i got pedal feel back

Did this simple bleed and all was good

Good work - only owned the car two months and im noticing it increasingly notchy and is sometimes willing to jump out of gear early.

Going to get Two techs to sort out both.

What would you recomend as the best oil for the gearbox and slave cylinder?

Any 5.1 dot brake fluid will do such as AP racing or motul. Demon Tweeks carries it all in stock and have fast delivery.

Also if haven't already bleed hole system so brake lines too.

Good luck

Sorry to hijack this thread but would be grateful if you could advise the exact/best gearbox oil I should go for. I believe it is Fuchs but not sure which type.

Think I still have some 5.1 AP brake fluid that I ran on my Scooby.

Thanks

Hi Chris, I think I may have a similar situation to yours. I have noticed my car (2009) is not as smooth as it once was and sometimes notchy. I have done a couple of track days a couple of years ago, and noticed the same with harder shifts on one occasion. The car had its 4 year service with a Renault dealer last summer and had the brake fluid changed, but they dont bleed the clutch through. Also, I was wondering if you had difficulty getting gears when the gearbox was cold before you bled the clutch through? Mine is ok once warm but difficult beforehand. Perhaps my clutch is dragging too? I cant see your pics btw. I have been thinking of getting it done but I'm terrible for trusting others with my car!!

Fish boy - Fuchs titans sintofluid, sae 75w-80 transmission fluid.

got that from Opie oils.

Stu - likey hood is you with have same issue as me matey. Defo get the slave cylinder bleed. Yes I did have stress with finding with reverse when cold but that problem has gone. My clutch is defo not dragging as I've checked that.

i have issues trusting people, that why only use one or two places. It's a simple job too do, if got a mate who's a mechanic use them. Can't really cock it up 2bh

Thanks for the reply Chris. I have low start ramps so can crawl underneath and have a eazi bleed, and a one man bleeding container. Is it best to access from underneath to get onto the bleeding point or from above? I have seen the pics from other threads but cant see yours atm, will check when I get home. I also need to find out what make fluid they used, sure I will get an answer like 'its dot 4'.
Is there a good way to check if the clutch is dragging? I would not say my biting point is really low if thats an indicator.

Ideally want too put 5.1 dot in there especially if going on track again.

Did it from underneath, maybe beable to do from above but we bigger job.

Flat ground, press brakes, release them. make sure cars not moving. Put into 1st gear with clutch depressed. If car moves forward its dragging.

Sorry to hijack this thread but would be grateful if you could advise the exact/best gearbox oil I should go for. I believe it is Fuchs but not sure which type.

Think I still have some 5.1 AP brake fluid that I ran on my Scooby.

Thanks

if you look in the opie oils section there are answers to these questions....

Ok thanks Chris will try the clutch check. I think a bleed is a good idea anyway. Not sure when I might get on track again so I will prob leave fluid for now. If you could get the pics up that would be great

Interesting read . Nothing major on mine but there us a definite awkwardness going from 3rd into 4th when getting a lick on . Nothing at low acceleration though.

Hi Chris thanks for the advice.

I have a 200 cup and I have noticed my gear changes have become slightly notchy over the past few months. It feels the same in every gear. As I go to change gear I expect a nice free flowing smooth gear change, although feels like I'm having to put effort in to get it out of gear and then into gear, I don't have any crunches just notchyness. It is also hard to select gear on cold mornings, What do you recon as I am worried the clutch maybe dragging. I have already had my brake fluid changed and bleed recently by a trusted mechanic, don't think they bleed the slave cylinder though.

I'm going to Ktec for a 36k service next Tuesday and will get a technician to drive it and see if they can diagnose what the problem is, after seeing this thread I will ask them too bleed the slave cylinder first as it's probably worth doing.

Last edited:
Bled mine today and the clutch feels much better! Doesn't edge forward when putting into first which is great, although it is pretty clear my fourth syncro is shot. Horrible grind when going into fourth over about 4.5k

Good news about the clutch at least. A had a look at mine today, not seeing how you can get near it from above without dismantling some bits. What is the access like from underneath Tree?

Good news about the clutch at least. A had a look at mine today, not seeing how you can get near it from above without dismantling some bits. What is the access like from underneath Tree?

With the help of [MENTION=5026]Edster[/MENTION] it wasn't too bad, 4 bolts to take the under tray off but you probably don't need to do that. I took the pipe (Pringles tube in my case) which connects the cold air feed from the front to the air box and the bleed nipple is right underneath. Bit of pipe on the nipple an feed it down.

It was the cold air feed tube that looked to be in the way, didnt look at whats required to get it out. Will have another look tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback guys :smile:

Last edited: