Gearbox notchy...any ideas?

I have a Clio 197 (08' plate) and recently the gearbox hasnt felt its normal slick self. It seems to be very tight and stiff, and when changing gear very notchy. Also when changing up through the gears you hear a clunk noise. To change gear you also have to have the clutch right down at times and too be honest I aint happy.

Anyway I have booked it into Renault for Monday next week but I was wondering if anyone else had had any similar problems and if so what was the fault?

Im thinking either an engine or gearbox mount has failed or is on the way out, but the clutch is also a worry which at just under 3 years old is a little bit of a joke considering the mileage is just 16k. Some of you may have seen my post on the RS forum and they have mentioned sync mesh's....can anyone elaborate further with their experiences???

Any help or advice would be great as Im currently feeling really fed up with the Clio :worried:

Cheers Hughsie

I think (i only read it briefly) but as in the RS thread quite a few have had gear boxes replace, not a huge number but a few.

It's been suggested refreshing the gear box oil can help.

I can't say my gearbox is amazing, sometimes you have to be quite forceful with it but it's generally ok and I actually find it is worst when you're trying to drive sedately. As soon as you start to pick up the pace it feels more in its element.

Mine is woeful from cold to say the least and you have the sledge hammer it into first from neutral, but after that its not too bad. I changed the gearbox oil last year and that helped slightly. Blipping the throttle on downshifts is my work around for it.

Gearbox Oil

Try Redline "Shockproof" gear oil. We used it in an S3 Audi that had a terribly crunchy gearchange from 1st - 2nd and a crunchy gearchange from 2nd - 3rd. Cured the problem almost 100%. You would never have believed that an oil could alleviate such a pronounced mechanical issue; but it did. Its not cheap but its plenty cheaper than a gearbox rebuild