Gearbox rebuild cost

Love that Turbo

Paid Member
Hello, I'm going to be buying a RS200 Clio Cup and want to get the gearbox rebuild prior to taking it home. I live in Ireland so makes sense to get it done when I'm over in the UK.
How much will it cost, roughly. And who is the best for it.
Is there a permanent solution or just have to live with rebuilds.
Thanks
Vince

Depends what you mean by a rebuild. Some companies might only replace the syncros. Some might do syncro and one or two bearings. Others might do the whole refresh.

@RSRowe had a screenshot of the true cost of parts if you were doing the whole thing, I can't seem to find it now, but from memory doing a proper job was £400ish in bits alone.

Yeah I'd imagine so, most places would drop the subframe to get the gearbox out, then you need to ask yourself whether it's worth doing the clutch while you have good access. If you're having the front subframe off you'll probably need the front end alignment checking afterwards in case anything has moved.

Then you need to use a bit of man maths and stick a diff in the gearbox while you've opened it up. It's a slippery slope.

I paid just over £2,000 to have a gearbox rebulilt, new synchros, new clutch, new slave - but I also had a Gripper put in.

If you are going to have the gearbox out you really should put a LSD in. A LSD is the best upgrade you can do for these cars as you will then have far more traction and grip through the front wheels. Even if you are just going to use the car on B roads you should think about it.

Reactions: Love that Turbo
If it's just a road car, after a rebuild I think you'll be fine for a while. Change the gearbox oil regularly and avoid smashing it between gears at high revs. Just take an extra second or two to shift and you should be fine. I reckon most of the damage is done early in the car's life either by being ragged without regular oil changes or used on track and not driven with much mechanical sympathy.

Reactions: Love that Turbo
Not bought a car yet but live in Ireland so want to get the box rebuilt prior to taking it back here.
Just waiting for the final bill for my Impreza to see how poor I am. But the Leon is going, and getting a Clio