Engine / Gearbox Mounts & Vibration

So since I've had my car it's always been a bit aggressive when pulling away. Alot of vibration. I didn't really give it too much thought as I've been busy doing jobs on it rather than driving it.

I had it MOT'd today through a friend and he picked up on the vibration.

It only seems to be when pulling away, once the cars moving its generally alot better.

So, does this sound like an engine / gearbox mount issue?

# The left side upper engine mount looks fine, doesn't appear broken.

# Upper engine stabiliser has the yellow and purple power flex mount by the looks of it - would this created vibration?

How many more mounts are there and where are they? What are they under or where is the best place to see them from?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Sounds like it’s just the powerflex bush to me. I get exactly the same with powerflex bushes all round.

There’s a lower engine mount which you'll need to get under the car to see and a gearbox mount which is under the battery tray.

Reactions: Red Baguette
Sounds like it’s just the powerflex bush to me. I get exactly the same with powerflex bushes all round.

There’s a lower engine mount which you'll need to get under the car to see and a gearbox mount which is under the battery tray.
Thank you. What side or location is the lower engine mount?

So is it just the 4 mounts?
Engine Upper
Engine Lower
Gearbox Mount (under battery)
Stabiliser Mount

Alot of People seem to fit the powerflex stabiliser mounts but does it have any real benefit over a new oem mount? Is it that much stiffer?

Thank you. What side or location is the lower engine mount?

So is it just the 4 mounts?
Engine Upper
Engine Lower
Gearbox Mount (under battery)
Stabiliser Mount

Alot of People seem to fit the powerflex stabiliser mounts but does it have any real benefit over a new oem mount? Is it that much stiffer?

Lower Mount is at the rear of the engine, underneath. (no.20)
resize_image.jpeg.jpg

The powerflex stabiliser mount stops the engine rocking back and forth under braking/acceleration and helps stops the manifold flexis failing due to engine movement.

Lower Mount is at the rear of the engine, underneath. (no.20)
View attachment 156509

The powerflex stabiliser mount stops the engine rocking back and forth under braking/acceleration and helps stops the manifold flexis failing due to engine movement.
Can you see the lower mount from looking down behind the engine where the manifold is? The reason ask is I have an idea where I think it should be but there's nothing there, but space where a mount could go.

I'm sure it's unlikely, but it came with a toyo manifold fitted, if it's near here I'm hoping they haven't forgot to put it back

Not sure if you can see it from the top, but i’d be surprised if it was missing and it drove without any horrific knocking/banging. You’d be able to rock the engine back and forth a lot

Not sure if you can see it from the top, but i’d be surprised if it was missing and it drove without any horrific knocking/banging. You’d be able to rock the engine back and forth a lot

Yea it doesn't rock, just alot of vibration pulling away initially. I'll have to have a look underneath on the weekend.

Reactions: EthanMenace
I've been under the car today, turns out the lower engine mount has been poly bushed and in such a way that the mount is at an angle rather than horizontal. I've ordered a new oem one. I also disconnected the stabiliser bar as that has the power flex bushes and it was better again.

Reactions: Albert540