Naturally aspirated - upgrade options.

Still recovering after a fun NA day in the 182 at Cadwell mate thanks

Enjoyed watching a nice 911 gt3 trying to catch Stuieplk in a tin pot frenchie!!

I remember looking at it hew it was for sale it was a high comp forged engine that's y it was 8k+ to build , itbs are no were ner that price

He only did the pistons and arp bolts. So wasn't completely forged. But he also needed a different dash, different ecu. It isn't cheap. And he only got the power he did because he had cams, head work, inlets, no cats etc etc, so that's where the 8-10k starts to come in. On a base car 6k for itbs surly won't get u beyond 210. And cams do that alone. So this is where it doesn't really become an option anymore and why only 1 has done it, same with mine lol

He only did the pistons and arp bolts. So wasn't completely forged. But he also needed a different dash, different ecu. It isn't cheap. And he only got the power he did because he had cams, head work, inlets, no cats etc etc, so that's where the 8-10k starts to come in. On a base car 6k for itbs surly won't get u beyond 210. And cams do that alone. So this is where it doesn't really become an option anymore and why only 1 has done it, same with mine lol

Spot on. Its not the cost of the ITB's, it getting them to work properly, other things had to be factored in which added to the additional costs to make the power to justify the expense. Its a major labour of love. I think even mike must have had points when he thought, why did I bother, I certainly have sitting at Bedford with car that I couldn't drive cause it was overheating on the track.

It's a labour of love whatever route you go down because these cars are so highly strung from the factory and they're really not cheap to tune. The F4R doesn't have much left to give unless you throw serious money at it but there are ways to just enhance the characteristics it already has, such as cams and the usual breathing modifications.

As everyone is aware by now I've gone to the darkside that is FI. This wasn't something I'd ever planned on and infact I was on the fence about even going so far as to swap the cams but sometimes cars throw you a bit of a curveball and before you know it you're balls deep in parts!!! My one piece of advice, regardless of what route you go down, would be decide on your spec' and organise a deadline/timeframe with whoever is doing the work from the outset. It will make life infinitely more simple and less stressful if you do that...

Since we talk possible engine upgrade routes, can someone who is more technical minded than me please explain what are the realistic gains to be expected with this upgrade?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4804&appid=3

Higher rev limit but you'll need major head work for them to fit. You'd also need to forge the engine to get the best possible gains so your still looking at a £6k+ engine build for less horsepower and much less torque than my Meg engine. :smile:

Higher rev limit but you'll need major head work for them to fit. You'd also need to forge the engine to get the best possible gains so your still looking at a £6k+ engine build for less horsepower and much less torque than my Meg engine. :smile:

This.

pretty much decided by reading this thread that I'm going to get everything perfect - niggly bits put right, back seats out, fixed buckets and harnesses in, then get a megane donor car and get the engines swapped, or atleast the engine in my clio. should be a pretty little project for me and my dad, just wondering guys, will I loose my keyfree stuff? or will I just swap the coding from one ECU to the other as if I was fitting a brand new ECU to my old engine? I'm going to have to have a good chat with some of you lads who have done this before I crack on.

can't wait to get started though!

This.

pretty much decided by reading this thread that I'm going to get everything perfect - niggly bits put right, back seats out, fixed buckets and harnesses in, then get a megane donor car and get the engines swapped, or atleast the engine in my clio. should be a pretty little project for me and my dad, just wondering guys, will I loose my keyfree stuff? or will I just swap the coding from one ECU to the other as if I was fitting a brand new ECU to my old engine? I'm going to have to have a good chat with some of you lads who have done this before I crack on.

can't wait to get started though!

I've still got all my luxuries, keyless, auto lights, auto wipers etc. :smile:

I've been weighing this up the last few weeks and in my head Meg engine seems way forward imo, but does it lose any feeling of being the Clio or is it what it should be??

Its what it should be.. We all love the Clio for it's pin sharp handling, fantastic brakes and the ability to make you smile. With the Meg engine it's still got that character but the smile is bigger because the rate of acceleration out of the corner is unreal.