Naturally aspirated - upgrade options.

I am not going to talk about which route to go, as its each to their own.

But what I will comment on is the 'reliability issues'.

My 200 has had its megane lump in for just shy of 18,000 miles, which has included multiple track days in the UK and abroad and numerous laps of the Nurburgring. So its had a good few thrashes! And what has failed on it........... nothing. What has broken........... nothing. How many times has it had a hissy fit and not started....... zero.

If you get these conversions done right then they can and do run like a standard car, with the same reliability.

Anyone weighed their clio with the Meg engine fitted? Am guessing its a pretty good power to weight ratio even at standard power

Anyone weighed their clio with the Meg engine fitted? Am guessing its a pretty good power to weight ratio even at standard power

Not weighed it but don't think there's that much difference, not enough to worry about unless your as quick as Vettel on track.. I ditched the aircon on mine so probably saved what I added. As for power to weight ratio, mines probably around the 240/250bhp per tonne which is more than an Evo

Last edited:
No I've still got the Clio gearbox, for what I sacrifie in top end (maxes out at around 145-148 ) I gain in phenomenal acceleration. Not got a diff and to be honest I have yet to see the need one for road/fast road driving, prob a different matter on track but the car is fine without it.

Gearbox still feels solid too, I always wait until it's fully in gear before I boot it rather than full bore gear changes.

Last edited:
Its an interesting discussion. For me its all about individual choice but lets not lose the fact that these conversions (even if your not interested in it yourself) at least informs your opinions. I take my hat off to Ben and Mike who have put not just their conviction and beliefs (not to mention money and their time) into developing something unique. More recently Andy who's showcase his skills, and level of expertise. All of which has brought positive interests from other forums and the media. Its not just all about Cliosport or Meganesport.

This is what gives the forum longevity, development, sharing of new ideas and not being afraid trying something new. Isn't that what makes the Jap and dub scene remained so interesting. This also can mean saving time and money. Def not about encouraging everyone to throw out their NA engines but just there is now another way.

I think (I can only speak for myself) if this conversion had not happened, I would have definitely had sold up 12 months ago.

Last edited:
No I've still got the Clio gearbox, for what I sacrifie in top end (maxes out at around 145-148 ) I gain in phenomenal acceleration. Not got a diff and to be honest I have yet to see the need one for road/fast road driving, prob a different matter on track but the car is fine without it.

Gearbox still feels solid too, I always wait until it's fully in gear before I boot it rather than full bore gear changes.

I guarantee if u had a diff, u would completely change your perspective. Knowing what I no now I'd get one on a standard car! Can't wait to see your car tho, bet it's an animal!

I think the mk3 Clio scene has been very good at pushing the boundaries. Some of these conversions, mine included have been a complete ******* to get to to where it is, but when it's got there it's been a driving experience like no other. This is where I can get where litchy is coming from with regards to selling. Not saying I'm selling but it is genuinely hard to find something useable like they are now and not have to sacrifice everything to only enjoy it on track. I love my track days but I still like to be able to go out on a Saturday and have a blast and still pop to tesco on my way back lol!

Its interesting about the diff cause its funny, never really felt like I had one. I almost was questioning to whether I had the R26 gearbox (lol) until I turned the TC off. Said this elsewhere, with it on, the car was bogging down, and it felt really intrusive which was unnoticeable in the same way with NA engine. Since last week, I just turn it off soon as I get in, its a different car exiting the bends....cant tell you you how different it is....

Can definitely feel it working in the Meg in comparison to the Clio, having driven Oulton Park in both the Meg laps up specific corners where even with a lot less power you were having to manage what traction you had in the Clio.

On the road it might not be such a big deal, unless you enjoy booting it around roundabouts for the fun of it :smiley:

I am not going to talk about which route to go, as its each to their own.

But what I will comment on is the 'reliability issues'.

My 200 has had its megane lump in for just shy of 18,000 miles, which has included multiple track days in the UK and abroad and numerous laps of the Nurburgring. So its had a good few thrashes! And what has failed on it........... nothing. What has broken........... nothing. How many times has it had a hissy fit and not started....... zero.

If you get these conversions done right then they can and do run like a standard car, with the same reliability.

good to hear but that's only yours so far...

Mines been ok too, granted I needed a new turbo but that's only because the turbo I bought was shagged.

The car has now done 3,000 miles without missing a beat. Not actually heard of anyone having problems with finished cars, the problem seems to be getting them finished in the first place.

there are other components that are borderline on life on the clio as standard so will see how these survive or not

But you're saying these conversions are unreliable based upon an assumption that parts that havnt failed will fail

But you're saying these conversions are unreliable based upon an assumption that parts that havnt failed will fail

nope not saying that at all...

there are some items - gearbox / perfo-hub that rapidly wear on the normal cars let alone the 300+ super duper turbo engined cars

that's why I did say the megane is the better as those parts are different for that very reason - personal view and also know how some meganes get driven and still work fine...

TBH, any modification on cars are a trade off. I cant say I've bolted anything non-standard to a car and there wasn't a positive/negative trade off. I accept that because often the gains often outweigh the losses. What I would say is if you get the opportunity, then have a go in one. You may still like the honesty and the mechanical connection that NA gives you, and at times I miss it. However, if you want the Clio to go faster, with no detriment to its chassis or to what is an over braked system anyway, then the Meg conversion does this IMO whilst keeping it very Renault. Open the bonnet, and it certainly doesnt look like it shouldnt be there. Mines not a perfect, but the NA isn't either. Parts may break sooner, tires may wear quicker but the trade off for me is most definitely worth it....

Last edited: