Naturally aspirated - upgrade options.

supercharged?
i assume its a V6 cosworth variant with a supercharger bolted on, oposed to the more commonly known YB Turbo Cosworth engine?

yea, I'm always thinking the car is boat loads of fun now, and in fairness, where I usually drive I don't often get shown up by anything, most of the roads are bendy and fun. I often get a new focus RS (possibly driver ability) can't keep with me on the twisty roads on my way home, and although my last stretch is on a straight, im normally at the other end before he's caught up, I can't knock the clio AT ALL, I was just after that little bit more!

Will fitting a meg engine cause me to gain power but loose handeling as a down side? as I keep toying with the idea, but knowing if I go down the staying NA route, I can get little bits in at a time, AND they are all going on my engine which I've had from new and is smashingly good! :tongueout: ... * TOUCH WOOD * ..

Nitrous is fine on standard internals as long as you are sensible and have the system set up correctly.

My system was 50bhp (at 100% delivery) running through a Max Extreme progressive controller. With the controller a multitude of parameters were programmable and the system took readings from revs, throttle position and gear selection.

The system was set that it would only activate if the throttle pedal was at 90% above and then it would only activate within a defined rev window, I had this set at 3750-7000rpm. It was also set not to come on in 1st gear.

The delivery of gas was also progressive throughout the rev range depending upon the gear you were in, for example in 2nd and 3rd gear delivery started at 30% at 3250rpm upto 70% at 6000rpm. in 5th and 6th gear delivery was 100% through the rev range. The full 50bhp was only ever delivered when you were fully nailing it.

Nitrous can be reliable but it is very expensive, a full bottle can cost £70 and can be wasted in 6 minutes on full throttle in 5th ad 6th. saying that its great for traffic light GP's as you only use it for 10 secs. You could also spend 2k upwards on a Wizards of Nos kit professionally installed.

The drawbacks are the cost, and that its not permanent power. To work with maximum efficiently the bottle also needs to be at the right pressure and temperature. My system was optimised to be run with a bottle heater so it had to be up to temperature before i would use it.

Overall I loved my time with it, it doesn't give a kick like in the fast and furious but it does make a noticeable difference. Maybe one day when the my meg engine is forged I may return to the dark side of gas to hit 600bhp but until then I say spend the money on a Meg conversion.

As for staying N/A I was always an advocate for keeping it natural as I loved the high revving nature of the Clio, now Ive got the Meg conversion I can honesty say I wouldn't go back, it still revs near enough to 7k but the power delivery is ferocious and I don't have to drop a gear or 2 to get past someone. Having boost in the Clio really is the way forward
Thats the thing Angel been sensible :wink:

Great shot this would love one as a toy.

Boost isn't really my thing, unless it's something like a cosworth, something special.

Drive a 330bhp Clio and then tell me its not special.

Will fitting a meg engine cause me to gain power but loose handeling as a down side? as I keep toying with the idea, but knowing if I go down the staying NA route, I can get little bits in at a time, AND they are all going on my engine which I've had from new and is smashingly good! :tongueout: ... * TOUCH WOOD * ..

No, the Clio loves the Meg engine, everyone that's driven one says its how Renault should've made it. The car can more than handle the extra grunt, in fact it makes it so much better for it even in and out the corners

Last edited:
I often get a new focus RS (possibly driver ability) can't keep with me on the twisty roads on my way home, and although my last stretch is on a straight, im normally at the other end before he's caught up, I can't knock the clio AT ALL, I was just after that little bit more!

that could be a bit of driver ability, or maybe lack of ability on the FRS owner.
being an FRS owner aswell, they do handle very well, but they certainly are not as confidence inspiring as the clio is through the twisties, it took me a while to dial myself in to it, but the extra grunt it had certainly helped on certain parts of a twisty road spirited drive.
he probably could have kept up (if he was competent) but he would have been pushing mighty hard and pushing his confidence to do is from my experience, especially if it were a standard example.

that could be a bit of driver ability, or maybe lack of ability on the FRS owner.
being an FRS owner aswell, they do handle very well, but they certainly are not as confidence inspiring as the clio is through the twisties, it took me a while to dial myself in to it, but the extra grunt it had certainly helped on certain parts of a twisty road spirited drive.
he probably could have kept up (if he was competent) but he would have been pushing mighty hard and pushing his confidence to do is from my experience, especially if it were a standard example.

lol yea, In fairness, the mrs was terrified in the drivers seat, even though shes full of confidence in my driving, and the car (she drives it too) it was the fact he was bouncing all over the road sort of out of controll trying to take a curve in the road at 130, - obviously slowed down a bit then I passed him on the round about and was away, I'm purely putting it down to the road and driver ability though.. I still won :wink: (ps, dont get out in it often, twice a week tops, so when someone wants to play, I usually do, rest of the time its speed limits!)

Last edited:
Just supercharge it, feels NA loads of tourque, and an 8k rev limit. Winner!!

Best of both worlds tbh. Eats porches, and with a diff u can plant your foot down as soon as you dare, bonus of having a completely linear power delivery, you can just keep your foot planted. No drama at all, just planted all the time.

Best of both worlds tbh. Eats porches, and with a diff u can plant your foot down as soon as you dare, bonus of having a completely linear power delivery, you can just keep your foot planted. No drama at all, just planted all the time.
At what cost for what BHP though? Surely the R26 with LSD conversion is cheaper?

4K for 240Hp iirc? for the supercharged conversion. thats if you pay someone to do it though.

At what cost for what BHP though? Surely the R26 with LSD conversion is cheaper?

Initially it will be, only difference being you will hit your brick wall later. But depending how far you go, you still need forged internals, bigger turbo, fuel system etc etc it goes on. So in the end they are both roughly the same costs. There both different and ultimately it depends how u want the car to deliver its power, the noise to 8k is addictive tho! Pros and cons to both really, but neither are disappointing.

Don't ok where your getting 4k from with someone else doing it. Mine would be 5.5k for 260/70 drive in drive out. K tecs is 240ish but I suspect they are using a smaller charger than mine. Charger alone is £1700 ish, so if u fit and install the unit and ecu yourself all u will need is to get it mapped. That's the unknown cost as no one has done it.