Mike's modified airbox experiment - cold airtastic!

i was told the box below the the expansion tank is for reduce induction noise.

I've seen the Puzzle (?) carbon one for the 197, which utilises the 'nostril' as a ram intake.

Do you have any pics of the Clio GrpA and Type R ones you're talking about, for ideas?

The gruppe M's are quite common with CTR boys, fitted a few over the years and they come out of the scuttle. They're around £350 last I heard.

One major difference the inlet manifold is on the other side, I think Mikes method is going to be the most cost effective but i do wonder if the standard airbox just simply cant flow enough, Think mike should get it gold plated like a McF1 then report back! :w00t:

honainduction.jpg

I've got some gold tape kicking about! I imagine it'd be a real struggle to engineer that type of scuttle set up, given the inlets location and room, as you say.

I do wonder about its size too...

I know, and if the clowns made it in plastic, they'd sell hundreds of the things for sure!

Also update:

I've been informed from someone at Renault that the vacuum controlled flap is nothing to do with cold start/idle functions, so ok to disable.

its an acoustic valve to help reduce intake noise.

Should it be jammed shut or forced to stay open?

And whats the total purpose of it?

I appreciate the induction noise aspect, but its always caused me concern that its dragging in warm air from the engine bay.

Nice thread BTW, im intending custom box mods too, will be good to see your progress :smile:

i dont see why people are that worried about a bit of heat

once tha car gets above a certain speed the heat issue doesnt exist as its pulling in enough cold air etc

One major difference the inlet manifold is on the other side, I think Mikes method is going to be the most cost effective but i do wonder if the standard airbox just simply cant flow enough, Think mike should get it gold plated like a McF1 then report back! :w00t:

honainduction.jpg

OMG at this set up

Madeno racing have the best setup I believe, I was speaking to the designer and they assured me the reason it cost so much is due to the hours of dyno testing underwent to get the setup perfect, and a genuine 7bhp peak isn't to be sniffed at?

Ouch, just checked out that Mandeno racing setup.

Best part of £800...I'd imagine that's well out of most people's budget.

Madeno racing have the best setup I believe, I was speaking to the designer and they assured me the reason it cost so much is due to the hours of dyno testing underwent to get the setup perfect, and a genuine 7bhp peak isn't to be sniffed at?

Is this off that type r or a clio induction setup? Anyone no what gains had from that R3 setup? Or what simonoxo got?

Is this off that type r or a clio induction setup? Anyone no what gains had from that R3 setup? Or what simonoxo got?

Madeno Air Intake System = € 887.00
Assembly costs = € 136.00

Notes:
Power increase + 11 HP @ 5800 RPM
Power increase + 7 HP @ 7200 RPM
Torque increase + 12 Nm @ 4800 RPM

grafiek.jpg

I'm presuming the quoted increases are at the wheels, if that's the case they're very good results.

Indeed, the chap said he was most proud of this product and his personal favourite item from his whole company, comes highly rated from other users in holland too.

But as said £800 is enough for a cheap holiday and tbh I think cone filters look a little cheap and boy racer like anyway in this age of sealed carbon boxes.

Indeed, the chap said he was most proud of this product and his personal favourite item from his whole company, comes highly rated from other users in holland too.

But as said £800 is enough for a cheap holiday and tbh I think cone filters look a little cheap and boy racer like anyway in this age of sealed carbon boxes.

For ATW figures £800 isn't that expensive for that gain.

Exhaust + map is around that much and offers less (10bhp at the fly?).

I'm very sure it does increase bhp and torque to some degree but going off past experiences with bolt on mods and 'quoted' gains I'm not a firm believer until it's on the dyno in front of me proving itself.

11bhp on these cars from an open filter is a very optimistic result.

Yep, as you should be. 11bhp ATW is a big power increase from just an intake but googling hasn't turned up any more power graphs or info so who knows.

As for the puzzle carbono I can't find any results online for that either.

Sorry for going OT a little!

It's not really OT, there's ideas to be got from all the different set ups.

Does anyone have a pic of this Madeno kit installed? I can't quite picture its set up.