Mike's modified airbox experiment - cold airtastic!

We ran logs on intake temps while doing a dyno run here in Johannesburg. Altitude about 1600m above sealevel, time was between 12:11 and 12:50. Temperature was around 32 - 34 degrees C.

Intake temps reached a high of 74 degrees C during run resulting in a reading of around 10kW (13.3hp) less than a previous run when the car was cooler earlier in the morning. Allowed the engine to cool down and sprayed some cool water over the intake and plenum and got the intake temps down to 54 degrees C with resultant gain in 11kW (14.67hp).

It is a fact that this engine suffers from heatsoak and up here at altitude in the thin air and heat it is much more pronounced.

This is a spot on result.. I'm from Pretoria, close to Johannesburg.. WE NEED MOAR COOOL AIR !

Lol stop whinging, how am I picking holes in "everything" you say?!

I was answering your question about map value.

For the record, if anyone is brave enough, the best place for a cold air/high pressure feed for an airbox is the scuttle area :wink:

Lol stop whinging, how am I picking holes in "everything" you say?!

I was answering your question about map value.

For the record, if anyone is brave enough, the best place for a cold air/high pressure feed for an airbox is the scuttle area :wink:

a la honda intake mods

you can pack that in straight away.

and thanks for the info with the pressure difference, my knowlege is limited as i learn about cars as a hobby and not for a job etc.

with the panel filter, am i right in saying that the lower the pressure or closer to atmospheric pressure the readings are the better the engine will perform?

will a blocked up air filter cause the sensor to read a few pascals higher and reduce performance?

Thanks

has anyone seen the typr r intake?

the after market one?

they pop out in the scuttle panel and look like a small letter box over the bonnet.

they look mint and as there is a very short distance to travel from the intake to the throttle body they are one of the best filters out there imo

you can pack that in straight away.

and thanks for the info with the pressure difference, my knowlege is limited as i learn about cars as a hobby and not for a job etc.

with the panel filter, am i right in saying that the lower the pressure or closer to atmospheric pressure the readings are the better the engine will perform?

will a blocked up air filter cause the sensor to read a few pascals higher and reduce performance?

Thanks
Yup exactly that.

We ran logs on intake temps while doing a dyno run here in Johannesburg. Altitude about 1600m above sealevel, time was between 12:11 and 12:50. Temperature was around 32 - 34 degrees C.

Intake temps reached a high of 74 degrees C during run resulting in a reading of around 10kW (13.3hp) less than a previous run when the car was cooler earlier in the morning. Allowed the engine to cool down and sprayed some cool water over the intake and plenum and got the intake temps down to 54 degrees C with resultant gain in 11kW (14.67hp).

It is a fact that this engine suffers from heatsoak and up here at altitude in the thin air and heat it is much more pronounced.

I found something similar on my old car with the experiment I did.

It wasn't as much to do with difference in temperatures though, it was a botched cold air feed I had made in a rush.

We ran the car (again) and it gave low power for fast road cammed j4 engine.

On closer inspection the cold air feed I had used was crushing under high rpm and was very restrictive.

I fitted another cold air feed tube that was of better material and moved it from the slam panel to where the passenger side fog light should have been and ran the car again.

It made 144 hp, a rise from 134 it had made previously. I can't stress enough how important cold air really is.

I was quite shocked at the time with the results.

I've seen the Puzzle (?) carbon one for the 197, which utilises the 'nostril' as a ram intake.

Do you have any pics of the Clio GrpA and Type R ones you're talking about, for ideas?

I see this Mugen one, the pipe was similar to my intentions for the grille's intake behind the 200's.

17200-XK2-K1S0.jpg

I know, and if the clowns made it in plastic, they'd sell hundreds of the things for sure!

Also update:

I've been informed from someone at Renault that the vacuum controlled flap is nothing to do with cold start/idle functions, so ok to disable.

Purely 'feel', I have no evidence to back this up.

My only measure was at Snetterton, the further I got into a session, the flatter it felt and the slower my entry speed into Esses off the back straight became.

Jimmy said the same of his 200, others have mentioned it too.

As I've said, it's an experiment with a few bits and bobs I have lying around in the garage and a rough theory. If it doesn't work, then I'll say it doesn't. I expect NO gains, just hopefully less negative effects of heat.

What diag software is available to live monitor intake temps. I'm very familiar with VCDS in the VAG world, so I'm not inexperienced. If something is readily available then I'm happy to do tests with both airboxes at Oulton on the 30th.

Mine felt noticeably slower after some hard laps. :thumb1:

tbh by the end of the day i was getting board with it felt really strong for 5-6 laps then start to tail off

It was fine at Brands Hatch tho might be down to snett being a faster track?