Mike's modified airbox experiment - cold airtastic!

^^^thought yours was running about 220/230 woody? with your cams. With kevs car, Matt from TDF always said he thought his engine wasnt the best to start off with. I swear i read ben_r1's car with the same mods makes 215?!!!

Whats the problem with saying stage!?! lol!!
Dont no what else to say lol?

There's no standardisation with it unless you religiously follow one tuning company.

It's the reason why I don't bother re-selling or offering exhausts and induction kits....there's so much cheap stuff on the Market that people won't pay for quality.

And with the F4Rs parts are relatively expensive, I wouldn't say limited.
I've got or can get any number of titanium/forged/cast/billet bespoke engine components, but none of it's cheap! And on the road car scene people won't spend the required ££££ to get to a decent spec.
Not that I blame them, It's horses for courses, it's a road car.

I think alot of the madeno racing setup cost is in the carbon pipe. He told me it alone takes 6 hours to hand make and looks amazing in person, single piece genuine carbon fibre.

Bingo. Average joe certainly could NOT replicate that carbon intake/CAF and it's very disrespectful and naive of people to think otherwise IMO

Thats the thing though, theres obviously lots of F4R part available for tuning but they are mainly used on competition cars which will never make it to internet forums.

My point was theres no real tried and tested route to go down. Look at Kevo's old car the engine work was experimental because of this and after a lot of different routes he ended up with 205bhp

A fair bit off topic now :lol:

Thats a good answer to a different question :whatever: :001_rolleyes:

Your a funny guy.

Bingo. Average joe certainly could NOT replicate that carbon intake/CAF and it's very disrespectful and naive of people to think otherwise IMO

That's a very good point, but there's no real need for it to be made of carbon and that's the only part of it that is carbon, it could/should be plastic. They've gone to all that effort on the pipe and the rest is average, lobster tailed feed into the OEM concertina pipe on the TB. If plastic's good enough for the post-filter air, why is the pipe carbon? Vanity.

It's like having a Gucci shoe on one foot and a Dunlop Green Flash on the other.

. It's like having a Gucci shoe on one foot and a Dunlop Green Flash on the other.[/QUOTE said:
Nice look :wink:

Any way boss i couldn't be arsed to read 11 pages of trash

Whats going on with the airbox?

Jim

Ha ha!

Doing the pipework this weekend for the modified inlet, doubt I'll get time to get the bumper off to play with the other. The Oulton on the 30th to see how it feels.

It's not going to be pretty for now, but hey ho!

Also, if you look into the O/S of your grille, you'll notice there's a blanking plate blocking fresh flow to the main intake pipe which pops through the slam panel (for want of a better description). I aim to remove that and encourage flow to the opening by extending it down to the grille with something like this.

Screwfix FTW!

p2623229_l.jpg

Last edited:
It's not going to be pretty for now, but hey ho!

That's the beauty of prototypes; they don't have to be. Get the thing working first then worry about making it pretty :wink:

That's a very good point, but there's no real need for it to be made of carbon and that's the only part of it that is carbon, it could/should be plastic. They've gone to all that effort on the pipe and the rest is average, lobster tailed feed into the OEM concertina pipe on the TB. If plastic's good enough for the post-filter air, why is the pipe carbon? Vanity.

It's like having a Gucci shoe on one foot and a Dunlop Green Flash on the other.

Agree with you on the carbon but I'm sure they have their reasons for using that material. I'd rather see it made from something else to bring the cost down and make it accessible to more people, even if there is a small compromise to make in power gains.

The price quoted in this thread doesnt justify that carbon part.

Once a plug is made, it will cost about £100 to reproduce that.

Perhaps it was over developed and they company won't take a hit, hence passing on the cost to customers? Who knows...

Yeah thats most likely the case, but cant see them selling many tbh.

Would be interested in seeing some third party testing...

Its made from Carbon... the wonder material that smacktards will pay 100's for as they believe thats what its worth... when really the materials and associated processes are slightly higher priced than glass fiber :w00t: and they just want to impress their mates with the CF effect.

As carbon fiber made its debut in the space race in the 50's, itll be interesting to see what people will pay for the materials used in modern flight TODAY... ooooh in the next 50 years... some of the materials i work with everyday dont even have names lol. Build an IC engine from them and you could probably produce 1000bhp from a 2.0l capacity :smiley:

As carbon fiber made its debut in the space race in the 50's, itll be interesting to see what people will pay for the materials used in modern flight TODAY... ooooh in the next 50 years... some of the materials i work with everyday dont even have names lol. Build an IC engine from them and you could probably produce 1000bhp from a 2.0l capacity :smiley:

What materials are these? The eurofighter typhoon has a carbon fibre shell/monocoque so i'm suprised that there could potentially be some 'better' materials out there

What materials are these? The eurofighter typhoon has a carbon fibre shell/monocoque so i'm suprised that there could potentially be some 'better' materials out there

Engine materials, not fuselage/skin materials.

Although there are several "better" materials in development. There are several polymers in testing, set to replace CF and titanium in the next couple (or 3) decades. Some very cool stuff, especially for stealth and high altitude applications.

Original point lost lol...

I wrapped my intakes up with DEI reflective tape and used my mates laptop with OBD reader to read the intake temps and on idle it was a small bit cooler. However as soon as i drove there was no advantage to heat protecting the intake.