Just after some advice... Exhaust and remap...

Evening chaps,

I've been speaking with David (who's been really helpful) at KTEC recently about this but would like some advice possibly from people that already have what I'm after.

I assumed that I could just have a crackle map whilst still running a standard exhaust but have been informed that I would need a decat to get the best results. I was then informed that I could go for the Pro exhaust, decat, remap and crackle...

Now all I'm after is the car to sound more crackley (that's not even a real word) so the question is, could I just go for the decat pipe and remap? (I read that if you don't have a remap the car tends to have a major flat spot.. true??)

Basically I just want to know if that would get me what I'm after? If I did go just for those would I even need the crackle map on top?

The link is to a YouTube video but just states 197 decat... Would this be how it sounds??

http://youtu.be/0Ke3l-Lp5pM

Any helps appreciated chaps

Ross

I wouldn't shell out for a remap without a decent exhaust myself. You also need to consider getting rid of the OEM manifold, as this contains a pre-cat. If you map in a crackle with a standard manifold it will rape the cat...

Ok that's a fair point and thanks for coming back to me.... So let just say I went for the KTEC decat pipe without mapping, would that actually cause any issues? (other than I believe MOT failure). Would surely sound like the one in the video wouldn't it?

I haven't got an issue with spending the money but I actually quite like the fact the exhaust pipes are flush with the diffusers, all about the aero hey ha.

Standard with decat does have an effect but an exhaust system along with the decat will have better results and give you what you are after. Just the decat would only give the crackle your after when you come off the power at high revs from my own experience. some very cheap manifolds on eBay atm with the 'pre-cat' removed if your looking to get rid of both cats.

Hi mate

Firstly I will say I don't have a problem with Ktec, however I would recommend RS tuning in Leeds to remap your car. From what I hear they have a much better reputation and take a lot more pride in there work. Plus they remap just as many cliosports as Ktec so the know there stuff.

I kinda agree with Ktec for best results you should get a cat back system & decat pipe before te map. Also you are likely to get get a tiny flat spot with the decat pipe, but a map will defiantly help iron it out.

Personally (I know this is harsh) I think that video sounds awful. It's tinny and raspy and way to loud for my liking. I had my cat and centre silencer removed from my standard system a few months back and had it refitted within 3 days as I couldn't stand the Tinny noise. It sounds a lot like the video you posted. Have a look on my progress thread as there a video of what mine sounded like. In my opinion, when the standard system is messed with it ruins the cars sound, even just a decat pipe. Don't let me put you off though, if you like it then by all means do it. [emoji4]

I would recommend looking into a cat back system & Decat pipe. A reasonably priced system e.g Miltek or Ktec give nice purposeful roar without blowing you ear drums and combined with a decat and remap they will give some cheeky pops and crackles too, even with the pre cat .

Last edited:
For a few pops and bangs I don't think any sort of decat is really necessary. I have a KTEC cat back sat in my garage that used to pop and bang on every gear shift and really gave the sound some character. Obviously for extreme crackles you'll need a crackle map and/or decat but personally I would go for a cat back over a de-cat on its own. PS I didn't have a remap with my KTEC cat back and the tiny flat spot at like 2.5k rpm didn't bother me at all.

the full decat mani will give you flames, but you can pop without it, although the added fuel will ruin it slowly if you leave the pre cat in.

As James said, the exhaust with just the decat will crackle and pop a lot anyway without any map.

So if you got it remapped after putting a decat on. Then decided it wasn't loud enough and put a catback system on it, depending on the system, you might have to have another lol. Do it once do it right.

Evening chaps,

Thanks for the responses, I think to be honest I've made my mind up and just going to go for the KTEC cat back in the first instance then start fiddling with the other bits and bobs if I feel the need... I'll keep you's updated.

Mines full decat including manifold, in tomorrow at k tec for remap and crackle/pops and bangs. Would defo recommend only getting it done once fully decat :smile:

If you want my 2pence. I just chopped out the rear silencer for 40 quid and left it, to me know sounds like I've changed to a full exhaust and map lol. Crakely, I like the word. On gear change and off throttle.

If you want my 2pence. I just chopped out the rear silencer for 40 quid and left it, to me know sounds like I've changed to a full exhaust and map lol. Crakely, I like the word. On gear change and off throttle.

did you get a decat fitted dude? I had a custom exhaust made without the rear silencers and I personally think it sounds great but fell like a bit of bite has gone :scared: but like you say it does crackle and pop a lot.. especially when it's cold!!

did you get a decat fitted dude? I had a custom exhaust made without the rear silencers and I personally think it sounds great but fell like a bit of bite has gone :scared: but like you say it does crackle and pop a lot.. especially when it's cold!!

Nope just left it all stock. Been fine going through MOT's