Seeking Exhaust and Manifold advice

Hey all,

Right now, on my 197, I have a rattling pre-cat and possibly blowing flexis. As I see it I have a few possible solutions, but being a bit of a scrub when it comes to the technicals on cars, I need advice.

The options as I see them are:

1. get the manifold swapped by Engine Dynamics for a repaired one, which includes a removal of the pre-cat and a custom tune. £760

2. order a toyosports manifold and get someone to fit it. £175 plus fitting costs.

So the toyosports manifold would probably work out cheaper, but will that fit with the standard main cat? are the tubes the same diameter or do they need modifying? Is anything else needed to fit?

of course, option 3 would be to get the entire system, manifold to back, replaced. Which I don't think I can afford.

Thoughts, suggestions? Anything appreciated :smile:

Have the same problem myself. I ordered the K-tec manifold and will be leaving the car to the local mechanic to fit it next week.

The Toyo is cheap but from what I could gather it doesn't fit as good as the original or the K-tec so you have to reduce vibrations to avoid it hitting the subframe, i.e. you'll most likely need stiffer engine mounts.

Reactions: Jay_197RS
The Toyo is cheap but from what I could gather it doesn't fit as good as the original or the K-tec so you have to reduce vibrations to avoid it hitting the subframe, i.e. you'll most likely need stiffer engine mounts.

That's fair enough. I've got some powerflex bits on the way to stiffen things up. I can feel the engine rocking and thought this would be a good thing to do anyway.

Wish I could afford the K-tec :smile:

So, I would have no problem just getting the Toyosport manifold and dropping it into a local guy to fit? They wouldn't expect any other parts to help with the fit?

Have the same problem myself. I ordered the K-tec manifold and will be leaving the car to the local mechanic to fit it next week.

How much was the price including delivery ?

Plus the Toyosports will need mapping in to get the best out of it anyway so add £250+ on.

Buzz me over a video once it's fitted, I think I popped a flexi on the way home from work...:tearsofjoy:

Once I take into account the fitting costs and remap it almost seems worth going the Engine Dynamics route. Keeps it fairly standard and is all included.

This is my daily driver so I'm not really looking for massive performance gains.

Once I take into account the fitting costs and remap it almost seems worth going the Engine Dynamics route. Keeps it fairly standard and is all included.

This is my daily driver so I'm not really looking for massive performance gains.

Massive performance gains on these things are impossible mate, so forget it.

Problem with fixing the stock manifold is it is a short(ish) term solution, you'll have the same problem down the road because you're not fixing the inherent weaknesses of the manifold, you still have the same flexis in the same location. Depending on how long you keep the car this may or may not be a problem.

Problem with fixing the stock manifold is it is a short(ish) term solution, you'll have the same problem down the road because you're not fixing the inherent weaknesses of the manifold, you still have the same flexis in the same location. Depending on how long you keep the car this may or may not be a problem.

What sort of life span do we see on the flexis?

What sort of life span do we see on the flexis?

My car is 11 year old with approx 78k miles and has only just started having flexi issues so 11 years in my case, however I've seen people with 20k miles on the car having flexi issues - As with most things on these cars, you just have to keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Cool, no worries.

I've got Powerflex upper torque arm and lower engine mounts on order to stiffen things up. I may order new OE upper engine and gearbox mounts just to make sure they are in good health.

Then I think for now I'll get the Toyosports manifold fitted with the rest of the exhaust as standard.

If I didn't get a remap done, would I be looking at an engine management light? or just be running less efficiently?

I'm thinking I could run without the map until more funds come in, replace the cat with a hi-flow sports one and upgrade the rest of the exhaust system later on. Then get a remap done.

Only thing then I have to be careful of, is that my MOT tester doesn't fail me. :sweatsmile:

You’ll probably want it mapped. You’ll almost definitely have a flat spot, I hated every second of driving mine with a flat spot. It was awful.

Take it to Andy at ED and get it mapped. Have a chat to him and I’m sure he’ll do you a deal on just tweaking it once you’ve got an exhaust fitted (if I read that correctly?). He’s doing similar with me when I finally get my manifold changed. Reminds me I need to get in touch with him!

Take it to Andy at ED and get it mapped. Have a chat to him and I’m sure he’ll do you a deal on just tweaking it once you’ve got an exhaust fitted (if I read that correctly?).

Fair enough, I'll give him a call and see what he can do for me.

@Doogle Both the K-tec and the Toyo are catless so they both need a remap, only the stock one doesn't.

@Benno sure thing, will put something up after it's fitted.

I knew they both would need mapping, my comment was more of a plus to what the OP had said. It is expected on basically any car, it certainly was on my old diesel beamers.