How are clio's in the snow? I'm snowed in

I'm going to agree with Danny here. I've driven turbo petrol cars for a good few years and had my licence 14 and can say that they no worse than any other car in the snow on normal tyres. The worst car I ever had in the snow was a Mk 5 Fiesta Zetec S, its my favourite car I've ever owned but it was totally rubbish in the snow, and that was on 15" wheels with a 1.6 engine.

Mine was rubbish, but the contisports were worn out at the time. Tyres are important. But if you need to use the car when there's snow, easiest thing to do is buy some auto socks. Slip them on, you get loads of traction & just take them off when you hit tarmac. Saves money & time swapping the wheels or tyres over.

The worst car I ever had in the snow was a Mk 5 Fiesta Zetec S, its my favourite car I've ever owned but it was totally rubbish in the snow, and that was on 15" wheels with a 1.6 engine.

I was just about to post about how superior my old mk5 zetec-s was in the snow compared to my 197!

I never got stuck in any snow in my ZS, in fact I was going along in snow that pretty much everyone except 4x4s were stuck in. But, in the 197 I seriously struggle in the snow and have even been stuck in places my neighbours 3-series could go (granted - tyres only had about 2mm tread left at the time).

One tip - turn off the esp. If you keep it on and keep revs low like you should I found it will cut power so much that it actually stalls itself!

I think we don't buy winter tires as it saves us from realising that a) we're stuck in a sh!tty climate and b) we're all really poor in comparison to our parallels in other countries.

a) If i remember correctly then England lies, transversal seen, at least half on the same geographical height as Germany, which puts you in kind of the same weather :wink:

b) Aww, common, i give you that in Switzerland that maybe so, but in Germany? no way...

Regarding winter tyres, they a great idea, but the winter here is so unpredictable it's very difficult to know when they're needed. For the usual 5-10 days of snow a year, they're excessive for me. In Scotland and the north of England I can see the sense, especially as the winter conditions get worse each year

And again: Those Winter Tyres are WINTER Tyres, not only SNOW Tyres :wink: So even low Temp. Conditions make them work better than the Summer Socks.

Also i have to say that a Allseason Tyre would work out for you...
Over here theres a saying... All Season Tyres are for being sh!t in All Seasons :wink:

Edith says: Dont get me wrong here, there are plenty of stupid people in Germany too who dont put Winter Tyres on...

At least you get in trouble when you get caught on Summers while driving in Winter Tyre fitting conditions (not especially snow :wink: )

Last edited:
a) If i remember correctly then England lies, transversal seen, at least half on the same geographical height as Germany, which puts you in kind of the same weather :wink:

Most of inhabited Canada also sits between the 50th and 53st parallels, yet they get some serious winters.

Because of where the UK sits we get much milder weather than we should get, compared to, say, Germany.

I'm leaving this place as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But don't get me started on that!

Most of inhabited Canada also sits between the 50th and 53st parallels, yet they get some serious winters.

Because of where the UK sits we get much milder weather than we should get, compared to, say, Germany.

I'm leaving this place as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But don't get me started on that!

:biggrin: OK got me on that, the UK is known for its outstanding horrible Weather :innocent:

But its not better here :wink:

Average Temp England: North 8,5°, South 12°. Germany (overall) Actually aorund 9,5°

But hey, im bringing this just for the fun :wink: I just like our little chit chat here, so i we can go on if you want :smiley: In the end we both wont change anything, but hopefully always get save from a to b =)

And again: Those Winter Tyres are WINTER Tyres, not only SNOW Tyres :wink: So even low Temp. Conditions make them work better than the Summer Socks.

I know, but we don't generally have any trouble until there is snow fall. Having tyres that cope with standing water is much more important in my opinion as we see so much more of that.

Meanwhile in Finland

small.jpg

No any problems, Nokian Hakkapelitta 215/45/17 stud winter tyres.
I can give you tip. If you want so good winter studless winter tyres you can get with your money, buy some Nokian Hakkapelitta R or similar proper nordic friction winter tyre. Those middle europe "wintertyres" are just bull****.

Nokia hakkapelitta R:

nokian_hkpl_R.png

Last edited:
:wink:

It depends on what you want...

In mind that your Streets during are Winter ARE Snow, youre right. I know the Hakkapelitta as an Outstanding Tyre. Its specially Made for Snow and Ice.

So in your Region, the Middle European Tyres probably ARE Bull**** :wink:

Given the mixed Situations you get here... theyre perfect.
They are even sporting some good Dry Cornering Performance and i still can go full flat on the Autobahn with them (Given you get decent ones).

from memory stud winter tyres are illegal in UK (I know they are 100% in Northern Ireland). Non studded winter tyres are legal.

That said when I had the Clio I just drove around as normal with Traction control on and had zero issues.

Havn't taken the 350z out but the RWD Smart fortwo is great in the snow - also as its so light if you get stuck it takes a child to push it out!

:wink:

It depends on what you want...

In mind that your Streets during are Winter ARE Snow, youre right. I know the Hakkapelitta as an Outstanding Tyre. Its specially Made for Snow and Ice.

So in your Region, the Middle European Tyres probably ARE Bull**** :wink:

Given the mixed Situations you get here... theyre perfect.
They are even sporting some good Dry Cornering Performance and i still can go full flat on the Autobahn with them (Given you get decent ones).

I agree with that. With nordic friction winter tyres you cant drive in autobahn 200kmh. We have max limits in winter 120kmh in highways.
Some guys who had imported cars from Germany with middle europe winter tyres drive with those tyres whole winter. It depends really more driver than tyres. We have now -19celsius and at least 50cm of snow.. so no hope for summer tyres at least 2-3 weeks :thumbdown:
Btw. those stud winter tyres really do ruin car handling.

I always wanted to try a ride with Stud Tyres... in many of the Mountain Villages they have them, but theres a low speed Limit with those Tyres (in Germany they are forbidden i think or even more limited) so only Village ppl use them for local commuting...

They are Loud as hell too :tongueout: However, Handlingwise i think they good... keeping in mind that without them you would be sliding around on the Snow :smiley:

About your Snow up there: i think its incredible! due to the low temps its a really good crisp Snow, you even have some good traction on that partly. The most times slushy Stuff down here is just ... mud. especially on the roads. The Mud is kind of more of a problem than the Snow itself, its like Super slushplaning instead of driving on snow.

However, im looking forword to get in your Region and do some serious driving there, its very good for training purposes too. But the kind of snow is not really comparable to ours most of the time (Mountain Villages often excepted...)

Similar Thread Suggestions