How are clio's in the snow? I'm snowed in

If you have couple of winters on the front corners you should be fine, the conti contact 3 are a summer tyre, I crawled round a corner last year and slid right up onto the kerb. I don't take her out much in winter. If I went and bought winters id probably be a snow demon, best be sensible though

If you have couple of winters on the front corners you should be fine, the conti contact 3 are a summer tyre, I crawled round a corner last year and slid right up onto the kerb. I don't take her out much in winter. If I went and bought winters id probably be a snow demon, best be sensible though

Conti contact 3 is what I have except bald ones, need to take a drive in the snow today to go and get new ones - should be fun...

Lol I done this in the pissing wet just to see and needless to say the thing did a perfect 90' turn :/ if I didn't love her soooo much then I might have taken her out.

It's the only way to get around sometimes, seriously it's not just me releasing my inner chav. I wouldnt have got up my street and round the corner to my garage without doing it.

Wide summer tyres and virgin snow do not a happy partner make :s

It's the only way to get around sometimes, seriously it's not just me releasing my inner chav. I wouldnt have got up my street and round the corner to my garage without doing it.

Wide summer tyres and virgin snow do not a happy partner make :s

Inner chav lol if I try it with the other half in the car I get an all mighty punch to my left arm so will just have to try it in the snow on my own. As you the ADO8's would be interesting :wink:

Really bad idea to put winters on one axle only.

yeah, you need a snow driving lesson. get off the throttle, and change up a gear

I'm 27 mate been driving 10 yrs but turbo cars in the snow is a no no unless its 4x4 also doesn't help with 18 inch wheels

Eventually dug the Clio out was very impressed with it to be fair lots of bleeping when doing handbrakes in the snow.! But on a serious note it was impressive

Well I found that mine struggled with the hill up to the new house. Got stuck and have to dig it out . I don't really think it was the cars fault, it was resting on the snow rather driving through it when I got stuck so all in all I don't think it was too bad! First time getting stuck in four years of owning it... :smiley:

Its not the first time im reading here that you UK Guys dont even seem to know what Winter Tyres are. I dont actually know whats wrong with you, either you all have balls like a Bull, no Money for Winter Tyres or just a deathwish!?

Since im 18 when you got your license its common sence that you put on Winter Socks at around October till ~April.

They are not just for Snow, the Rubber Compund is made to work better than your Standard Street Tyre below 7 ° too. On Dry Tarmac, your Summertyre wins in some things like braking, but even if its Wet at lets say 3 ° your Winter Tyre will get you to halt much sooner!

Well, i know, its hard to argue with you guys about that, but the point is, even 2 meters less of brakeway mean, the progredient braking factor with loss of speed in mind, the difference between standing still in front of a Child or hitting it with 25km/h!

Its not a moral tirade, just something to think about.

With Those AD 08 and kinds youre talking here its even worse. They are not only Factory marked when new that you shouldnt even store them at low temperatures near Zero because the Rubber takes Damage due to that, but even when its warm their Wet braking Performance is below the normal Summer Tyre ones.

Its just bloody mental to go with these in Winter conditions!

For the Clio itself: Its a total Snow Capable car! Its no 4x4 by all means, but with Winter Tyres and a bit of sense in the foot you can get almost up every mountain given its not pure Ice, and thats without putting Chains on it. Just avoid harsh weight distribution changes and thats it. Starting of in First with no use of Throttle or a little Throttle in 2 Gear.

OK, written enough... i know how you guys think about it, so you may now start the ****storm over me :tongueout:

Always enough Grip and a bit of Tarmac under the Tyres for all of you =)

Last edited:
I dont know why dude, but thats what happened last time i was mentioning something like that before some UK Guys. They got pretty mental about it, arguing that i should learn how to drive since all the english ppl do it like that :wink:

But even if 1 person here considers Winter Tyres after reading this - it was worth it :wink:

I get what you say but its rarely cold enough for long enough to merit winter tyres here in the UK in my opinion. This year has been particularly bad though your still only talking 4-5 days with snow on the ground (well around me anyway). I usually run all year round tyres in the winter and switch to summer tyres come march/April. Winters here tend to be fairly mild compared to most of europe though they are wet.

some of us do use winter tyres - most don't.

those of us who do get stuck behind the ones who don't when the snow comes :smile:

generally feel much better in these temps and conditions

clio is 2nd car so don't bother putting them on it though!

I'm 27 mate been driving 10 yrs but turbo cars in the snow is a no no unless its 4x4 also doesn't help with 18 inch wheels

Eventually dug the Clio out was very impressed with it to be fair lots of bleeping when doing handbrakes in the snow.! But on a serious note it was impressive

10 years? Makes you an expert then?

Turbo cars are no worse to drive in snow than any others, as long as you drive properly. keep the revs down, gear high and you'll not spin up.

I think we don't buy winter tires as it saves us from realising that a) we're stuck in a sh!tty climate and b) we're all really poor in comparison to our parallels in other countries.

13 years of owning RWD turbo cars lets me disagree with you. Turbos aren't a problem, the drivers are. it's easy to stay off boost, you just have to learn how

Regarding winter tyres, they a great idea, but the winter here is so unpredictable it's very difficult to know when they're needed. For the usual 5-10 days of snow a year, they're excessive for me. In Scotland and the north of England I can see the sense, especially as the winter conditions get worse each year

Similar Thread Suggestions