Gearbox Reconditioning Midlands??

I have just been quoted £2277.66 to replace my broken gearbox. Does anyone know anywhere within the Midlands that I can get mine either replaced or repaired at a better rate? I cannot afford to pay scandalous dealer prices!

Thanks

That is shocking! I've seen gearboxes go for less than £100 and i'm sure it won't cost you £2000 to get it fitted!

That was also Replace the broken bits (synchro) on mine and seals etc

Edit just realised the question . Same parts afaik there isnt any uprated ones available

Ive read that it was changed from a 3 piece to a 1 piece or something but thought that box was just as bad. Would love to find out more about a bullet proof one

http://www.rsceuropeltd.com/

They have new TL4 024 gearboxes for £444 including VAT & delivery. Advertised on cliosport.net (I think they are on eBay also)

Then it's just fitting costs, shouldn't be more than about £500 to fit I wouldn't have thought (depends on the garage you use I assume though)

EDIT:

They are actually cheaper than that on there website! £354 + £25 p&p

Last edited:
Renault changed bits on the very much later 200s to essentially bullet proof bits.

What exactly has changed to make them 'bulletproof'? Any further information would be appreciated, as well as the source of this.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I've never actually seen or heard any hard evidence of any changes.

I'm on my third 'box and nothing has ever been mentioned to me that a change has been made to ensure the part will now last longer. Surely if they've changed the construction or materials within the gearbox, then that's an admittance of a design fault and would be a strong argument for claims made against them?

The 5th and 6th gear ratios are slightly longer on later 197's and 200's, nothing major IMO! Probably to meet emission regs.

The early box (TL4 003) is found on 2006 and early 2007 cars, then the later box (TL4 024) was introduced in late 2007- cars.

It's the internal design change I'm unsure about.

Last edited:
TL04 003 was the earlier box with the shorter ratio. The TL04 024 I have mentioned in my post above is the later gearbox with the longer ratios

Where is the proof of these so called updated parts??

I keep seeing it mentioned (only on this forum) but have yet to see any part numbers or anything?

Where is the proof of these so called updated parts??

I keep seeing it mentioned (only on this forum) but have yet to see any part numbers or anything?

Ollie had his internals replaced and seen the different bits. Single piece syncros as opposed to 3 piece.

I mentioned this "upgrading" of the old box after the issues to my Service Manager and the look he gave me suggested that they havent touched them :/

Is the single piece syncros the reason for tighter more notchy gear changes compared to the first box i had?