Exhaust Advice

Give Engine Dynamics a call, they're based in Kelvedon. Great bunch of people and will be able to offer advice/prices.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Still running standard engine mounts! I feel the manifold will be a job for a later date as well!

A friend suggested Miltek, I need something that won’t be too loud piddling around town, but then has some life higher up the revs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've literally just described the Scorpion res system! Milltek is a bit tame for my liking.

I reckon I had some serious bad luck with my Scorpion. That droned SO bad.

I reckon I had some serious bad luck with my Scorpion. That droned SO bad.

Really? Resonated I'm guessing? Can't remember been a while since I flicked through your thread about it...

Mine drones a little bit when I'm sat on the motorway but not a huge amount more than standard in my mind...definitely bearable anyway!

Really? Resonated I'm guessing? Can't remember been a while since I flicked through your thread about it...

Mine drones a little bit when I'm sat on the motorway but not a huge amount more than standard in my mind...definitely bearable anyway!

Yeah, resonated. It was severely painful on the motorway. I certainly had some bad luck with that car!

Yeah, resonated. It was severely painful on the motorway. I certainly had some bad luck with that car!

I feel your pain, albeit slightly more concerned, having driven 300 miles over the weekend with my ‘new’ standard droning exhaust.

It genuinely got to me and made me feel exhausted (no puns intended)

Reactions: Micah
I feel your pain, albeit slightly more concerned, having driven 300 miles over the weekend with my ‘new’ standard droning exhaust.

It genuinely got to me and made me feel exhausted (no puns intended)

To be honest Ross, I wish I had picked up a used or even new Akra. Nothing will have that OEM+ feel to it like the Akra does, and I was pissed off paying £375 for it, plus the cost of removal and refitting of the standard system again. A total waste of time and money.
Not sure if it was my car or the exhaust, but Cassie from here bought it and she doesn’t seem to have any complaints.
I’ve heard that all systems for the Mk4 drone and the best ‘mod’ is to have a silencer delete - done my homework on this one!
So if you can, and funds permit, an Akra with standard manifold will be your ‘nirvana’.

I hated my Ktec system on my 197. The drone was terrible and motorway speeds and was very very boomy. I also removed the cat at the same time and the flat spot was terrible, made the trip over to RS Tuning to have the flat spot mapped out. I couldn’t wait to have that system off and replace it with an Akra. When you total in the cost of the Ktec system along with the map from RS Tuning you wouldn’t be far off the price of an Akra.

I’ll certainly be going down the Akra route once they become available again.

I’ve been pretty swayed towards the KTEC system, but ideally I’d want it fitting and it’s a good 4 hours away, ballache!

Akrapovic would take a bit more saving for, but I don’t see anywhere supplying the system / offering fitment!

Akrapovic is also quite loud. Okay, in highway not bad.. no drone or anything. But when you accelerate in city speeds it is quite loud.. (or i am too old).
Thats just my opinion.. Maybe you like it.
I had akrapovic evo system in my previous 200 Gordini which i sold some years ago. Now i have 197 original exhaust and i am really happy with it.
Fitting is not difficult? I think normal mechanic with lift can fit it easy.

Akrapovic is also quite loud. Okay, in highway not bad.. no drone or anything. But when you accelerate in city speeds it is quite loud.. (or i am too old).
Thats just my opinion.. Maybe you like it.
Fitting is not difficult? I think normal mechanic with lift can fit it easy.

Think the beauty of the akra is it’s loud when you want it to be and not intrusive at other times...

Having said that I found the scorpion to be like that also.

You could get any independent to fit a Scorpion etc as the build is very good, it will fit like a glove. Even more so with the Akra, it’s a work of art.

Akra quality is spot on, i would spend 1500€ money for evo system.. if i like more sound.
Look videos from youtube, there is many videos where is akra in clio.

From what I've read the Ktec system is pretty loud and drones pretty bad, if you're wanting something similar to standard and fairly priced I'd definitely be going for the Scorpion Resonated system. You could order one online and get it fitted at any local garage, mine charged £20 for my Akra fitting.

If you're in it for the long haul and like to have the best for your car I'd definitely be going for an Akra Evo system, I have one on my R27 and it's brilliant. No issues with MOT whatsoever, no flat spot and sounds great - plus it removes one cat and still doesn't need a remap, it actually feels like it drives better since fitting.

The only problem with the Akra is (and I'm actually in this situation at the minute) if your manifold breaks then its either repair OEM and risk it happening again or fit the Toyosport manifold but this removes the remaining cat which will causes MOT issues and will need a remap.

Thanks Matt, appreciate that feedback!

At the minute I’m favoured towards the Scorpion as I would want something along the lines of standard, and Engine Dynamics is only an hour away which could provide & fit.

It doesn’t help by the fact that I’m too indecisive!!!

The Akra is very appealing of course, and I feel like the manifold would need catering for later on down the line (certainly can’t fund both at the minute!)

In the coming months I have the belts to think about saving for, as well as new pads/discs/set of fronts (feel free to spare me a loan haha!)

Thanks Matt, appreciate that feedback!

At the minute I’m favoured towards the Scorpion as I would want something along the lines of standard, and Engine Dynamics is only an hour away which could provide & fit.

It doesn’t help by the fact that I’m too indecisive!!!

The Akra is very appealing of course, and I feel like the manifold would need catering for later on down the line (certainly can’t fund both at the minute!)

In the coming months I have the belts to think about saving for, as well as new pads/discs/set of fronts (feel free to spare me a loan haha!)

The joys of owning a French car :french:

Keep an eye on eBay etc afew 2nd hand ones pop up.

I have a resonated Scorpion on mine too Ross and can also recommend it, from a sound point of view. Louder than OEM, but not too in your face at all. I bought mine second hand, however in hindsight I wish I'd bought it brand new.

Pav's KTEC does sound fantastic too - I don't think you'll go far wrong with either, as a 'budget' alternative to the Akra (which I imagine would be most people's first choice if they had that sort of money to spend on an exhaust).

Reactions: Pav and RossWoods93
Thanks Jimmy (and everyone else that’s posted!)

I think my list of pros and cons of each option is complete! it’s time to sit down, scratch my head, watch endless YouTube sound clips and to try and make a decision! Exciting times though, I’ve never delved into the world of aftermarket exhausts, but it’ll be nice to unleash the bark the Clio has got!

The decline of my “I won’t modify” ethos starts here

Thanks Jimmy (and everyone else that’s posted!)

I think my list of pros and cons of each option is complete! it’s time to sit down, scratch my head, watch endless YouTube sound clips and to try and make a decision! Exciting times though, I’ve never delved into the world of aftermarket exhausts, but it’ll be nice to unleash the bark the Clio has got!

The decline of my “I won’t modify” ethos starts here

I was gonna chip-in Ross. But i just figured i'd cloud the issue of your decision more - with so many opinions already !

You've sat behind me and know what a res Scorpion sounds like............

***And for the record; i don't think anyone will mock you in the future for having a stainless exhaust. Even if the rest is dead standard; how you always aimed to keep it. I've seen many a 'classic' car for sale ; where when the exhaust has gone and it's been replaced with stainless on an otherwise bog standard car. Thats just called a sensible / prudent decision....

GOOD LUCK :smile:

Scorpion system will be quieter for sure if you are doing some motorway driving...ktec drones a bit so it may get on your nerves..