Dodgy stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
so because one particular car has been shown to have a bad map, your assuming your car must have one also, despite many of us having K-Tec maps on our cars without issue?

Maybe instead of calling someone a cowboy, you actually pick up the phone and talk to them, share your worries and see what they are willing to do for you. This way you get peace of mind and you dont slander other peoples names.

It's more than one car, or did you skim read the other posts on Facebook and in this thread from people with similar experiences of that particular mapper and problems. You only have to look a few posts up the page to find one. I know nothing about mapping cars, in fact I know very little about how an engine works, so I trust professional people to do that job for me, my car has been back for remapping 3 times already because I was not happy about the flatspot it had (still has a little bit) to be honest I feel embarrassed complaining because I really appreciate the service I've gotten from them. Always felt like a valued customer and that nothing was really too much trouble.

For clarity, I did not call anyone anything, I said that I was starting to wonder, as in my mind was being changed into thinking differently, I fully intend to call k-Tec and speak to them, I'm sure I'll be reassured even though the only person there that can check my map is the person who I have reservations about and who mapped it in the first place....looks like I will have to spend money taking it to another garage for a second opinion but peace of mind is important I guess.

Thanks for your feedback, for the record I don't mince my words, I'll call a spade a spade, I don't think he's a cowboy, but I have trust issues and god knows who to believe

Last edited:
Just as a PS to that, am I supposed to call them up and say, hey by the way I'm reading all this crazy shiz on the Internet about how awful you are at mapping cars. Could be BS or it could be true, but because I know feck all about the subject, I'm just going to spend the next two years of Clio ownership worrying I'm gonna go do a Brian Spilner "Danger to manifold" down my local duel carriageway.

That's really not a conversation I want to have.....

Just call and talk. I had one in to check for a worried customer just yesterday (as I'm closer to home for him, they sent him to me for his convenience). Turned out the big misfire and hesitation was down to the cam timing being out by a huge amount (cambelt done by a garage in the midlands somewhere, no idea who). Flat spot is an issue on the standard car unfortunately, and it's difficult to solve with the standard ECU without causing conflicts between lambda correction parameters. they won't be offended if you ask for it to be checked

Morning guys,

Not had a chance to read through the whole thread but having been guided to this thread I think it would be a good idea to put our side across.

The file in question was send to an overseas tuning company for them to try on a car they had in which was being fitted with 402 cams and an Akrapovic exhaust system. They had been asked to test the car on 99 RON fuel, log some data and let us know what changes may be needed. Upon testing the car it appears there was some knock at around 2500 rpm, but we only found this out on Tuesday. Instead of come back to us to ask us to make some changes they sent a copy of the file to RST and we all now what happened with that. Of all the many tuned files we have supplied overseas customers with our Renflash tool we have never had a car with this sort of results, instead we have had nothing but positive feedback about how well their cars are performing.

This was not our finished file and we were expecting to have to make some changes and help with issues as they had already asked us how to set the cam timing and how to get the cam cover off.

Over the past 2 years we have mapped around 500 Renault Sport models, including many Clio 197/200 models, quite a few of which have had the cam package installed (as given a 5 Star rating in last months Evo magazine). It is with hand on heart that I can honestly say that we are not aware of having a single engine failure from any of the mapping we have carried out. At the same time we have seen many cars pass through our workshop for new engines and rebuilds due to poor mapping carried out elsewhere, we just choose not to shout about it.

All of the mapping work we carry out is covered by our 12 month, 30,000 mile guarantee and each customer now receives a warranty booklet when they collect their car. It is a little known fact that tuning companies should be supplying this written warranty to their customers by law, hence the booklet we now issue. We have a lot of customers who solely use their cars for track work and one great example is a guy called Nick who takes his Porsche 997 Turbo S and Clio 200 to Spa at least once a month and hammers both cars around the track with his friends. His 200 is tuned with our 402 cam package and gas flowed cylinder head (amonth numerour other parts), the car is shown no mercy what so ever and yet drives there and back time and time again without a single poroblem. We have another few customers, again with cammed 197s and 200s who are regulars at the Ring and treat their cars in the same manner, not to mention those that give the UK tracks a hammering as well. The feedback we get form these guys gives us confidence in knowing we are doing good job tuning these cars. Any cars we have on the dyno are also data logged not only on the rolling road but on the road as well. We connect a computer which allows us to monitor various parameters whilst driving inthe real world just to make sure everything is running 100%.

I beleive it is best for us as a company to keep going along the path we have set out for ourselves and not deviate or start getting into slanging matches with others in our industry. You would be amazed at just how many issues some of our customers have with work they have had done elsewhere, including mapping, but we prefer to let the customer make up their mind what they would like to do about it. I would be lying if I said we have never had to make a tweak or change to a customers car over the years, it is what we have a warranty for and we will always be happy to give a customer's car a free checkover if they are unsure about any aspect of the work we have carried out for them. At the end of the day we are only happy if the customer is, it is as simple as that.

I think I have covered just about all that I wanted to get across and if anyone needs reassuing, or would like us to give their car a once over please give us a call on 01202 820800 (option 2) and we will be happy to get you booked in.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

David.

Just as a PS to that, am I supposed to call them up and say, hey by the way I'm reading all this crazy shiz on the Internet about how awful you are at mapping cars.

eeeeer...yes?? why wouldn't you? You trust the professionals to do some work on your pride and joy but when something like that occurs then the least you can do is to contact the tuner in question.

Gotta lol at all the folk that jumped on the slagging K-Tec bandwagon without knowing the facts.

Gotta lol at all the folk that jumped on the slagging K-Tec bandwagon without knowing the facts.

Far as I can see most people were merely sharing their personal experiences with ktec, most I which had nothing to do with ktec vs RST. Who specific decided it was the new fashion to slag ktec off without knowing the above facts? This isn't cliosport I think most members have been well behaved.

What makes me laugh is how reputable tuners only show their face on our forum to defend their reputation...

Far as I can see most people were merely sharing their personal experiences with ktec, most I which had nothing to do with ktec vs RST. Who specific decided it was the new fashion to slag ktec off without knowing the above facts? This isn't cliosport I think most members have been well behaved.

What makes me laugh is how reputable tuners only show their face on our forum to defend their reputation...

thats because they will be too busy building and maintaining their reputation!

Wasn't the case a few years back, isn't the case on other forums. Just nice to have a little but of information and two way topics with these companies and at the end of the day helps them sell their stuff too!

Wasn't the case a few years back, isn't the case on other forums. Just nice to have a little but of information and two way topics with these companies and at the end of the day helps them sell their stuff too!

In my eyes good companies don't need to come on forums and big themselves up. If they are good, thier customer base does it for them.

In my eyes good companies don't need to come on forums and big themselves up. If they are good, thier customer base does it for them.

Couldn't.disagree.more... ( that's how we make a statement right? )

Take 519Automotive, he's one of few companies who still have time to come online and discuss products, deals, services and give general honest advice about clio tuning which the entire community can benefit and learn from. Not so many years ago ktec were on here discussing what we'd like to see in development next and offering big articles of information on remaps and setups etc. I for one found it more useful to hear other people's questions more than simply picking up the phone and ringing them one on one.

And I'm not singling ktec out here, just the unfortunate example, most of them don't bother anymore. And I haven't used or spoke to Danny in years so no bias there either, just calling it how I see it.

Take 519Automotive, he's one of few companies who still have time to come online and discuss products, deals, services and give general honest advice about clio tuning which the entire community can benefit and learn from. Not so many years ago ktec were on here discussing what we'd like to see in development next and offering big articles of information on remaps and setups etc. I for one found it more useful to hear other people's questions more than simply picking up the phone and ringing them one on one.

And I'm not singling ktec out here, just the unfortunate example, most of them don't bother anymore. And I haven't used or spoke to Danny in years so no bias there either, just calling it how I see it.

valid points and to be honest have to agree with what your saying but i suppose as they have got more "successful" then they have less time to spend on here which in some ways as you say is a shame

i do agree with this also, I guess its a double sided sword, as on one hand we want to talk to them about the products etc, but then we moan the results are not true. Then when customers show thier own results and products in a more unbiased way we then complain the tuner isnt online talking about them.

but anywho.... :thumbup:

Maybe it's just me but, while it's nice that k-tech have told the full story the map still originated from there and was sent out to be put on someones car. RStunings complaint was that the map itself could potentially be dangerous to someones car, so why was it sent in the first place? Or are RStuning wrong about it being dangerous?

They've taken it off their wall, but to be honest running 30degree advance on a high reving N/A engine isn't that much, civics quite regularly run 34degrees on the k20 engines once over 7k rpm.. plus ktec advised to run on higher RON fuel.

-Unless there were any signs off det on the plugs, etc then i think its just a cheap shot

-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.