Dodgy stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed this thread first time around but I did see the post RST put up on facebook on friday.

Its hard to form a valid opinion without all the facts. But I'll have a go anyway :smiley:. I was a little surprised that RST put this up on Facebook in all honesty. It seems unprofessional to go about slating another company on a social media site. I don't argue that they may be frustrated with the quality of the work K-Tec may/may not have been sending out, but in reality its not RST's job to police the car tuning world, or try and "punish" people who have made a mistake.

IF the map was that bad they should have told the customer immediately, giving them the facts and letting THEM deal with K-Tec and only getting involved (directly with K-Tec) should the customer need them to.

If the map was also dangerous to other owners' engines RSTuning/the customer should have informed K-Tec, if they did not respond appropriately after a reasonable amount of time then it should have progressed to Trading Standards. Non of this should have become public knowledge unless the customer (not a professional company) decided to speak about it.

As others have said, slating other companies IMO only serves to make the company doing the slating look less professional and more desperate, regardless of who is right. Professionalism and quality of service speak for themselves.

Just and update to this (taken directly from Facebook)...

K-Tec said:
Paul, if its about time something was said then I am happy to put our experiences of other maps from other companies out in the open. All our cars are logged before they leave us and backed up by our 12 month, 30,000 mile warranty for which we have never had a claim yet. David.

RST said:
David, that map is dangerous there is nothing more to be said, warranty or not it shouldnt have that much advance EVER. How can you possibly log a car that has not ever been in the workshop and start them off with a map that will destroy an engine. Put your experiences out in the open but i can sleep at night knowing i have never done something dangerous like this, it's a complete lack of knowledge and he should know better. Surely you must remember when i called you about a 197 when andy first started? It seems he still has not learnt as it was the exact same mistake. My advice is to make sure he does not put his name in the maps if they are going to be as bad as this one! It's a shame because as a company you guys do some fantasctic products for the Renaultsport range, all to be let down with things like this.

Ktec said:
Paul, I appreciate what you are saying but at the same time I have a file here you have done with 32 degrees advance which was detting badly on the dyno, seems a little contradictory? Maybe an off day, we all have them. We have made huge progress over the last few years with different aspects of engine tuning and have many happy customers thrashing their cars around various tracks around the world without issue. We have never been ones to chase figures and we tell customers the same thing, we would rather put out a safe, reliable car with a bit less power than once with a good headline figure that won't last too long. Can't also help but think the timing of this first post is a little coincidental. Just a few hours after we advised a customer that he was getting very bad det on his recently TDF mapped Megane that came in for a service and a few days after you got the call saying the 750 Motor Club will be using our ecu and mapping as there control for their new 182 Cup race series. I hope I am wrong though.

RST said:
Send me that file and i'll import it to winols, if its a 100% match i will stand corrected but you also need to look at some other tricks i do the the files to stop the copyshops . I've not heard anything about a megane detting badly, if it's one from the group buy then it's certainly not in the map, saying that if a car has been sent out detting for whatever reason it's out of order and shouldnt be given to the customer like that. This is why i try not having dealers all over the palce so you can police things better! I was obviously annoyed about the 750 thing but thats business, you can offer more support/money to the club so they are bound to go with that. You dont need to keep looking for excuses though and i'd gladly speak to you on the phone regarding this issue. You know full well that i'm straight up and always call a spade a spade

Ktec said:
Morning guys, we have taken on board what has been said as we are not ones to simply dismiss criticism, ignoring feedback would not allow us to move forward with what we do. We stand by the warranty and back up we offer customers and if we feel changes are needed, they will be made. I would like to publicly thank Paul for allowing us to reply on his FB page and hopefully we can catch up some time soon, FCS maybe? I would also like to finish by saying the pictures posted on our FB page yesterday of a a cam seal from a badly built forged Megane R26 engine is nothing to do with Paul or RST, it was built elsewhere (some people were jumping to conclusions). David.

Moved to Pub talk, thats about right....

No 'we' never publicly slag off other forums do we? We never question tuners RR figures or products? We never question other members judgement or how they spend their money? We never think we've got it right and others got it wrong on here? The Utopian ideals yet so much hypocrisy on forums at times is laughable.

If RST and Ktec want to go at it, that's up to them......whether privately or publicly. Their work and reputation will stand up on its own long after any public argument, disagreements or post on forums....and that will have nothing to do with who's currently in vogue.

Like I said. Rather than 'other' people putting their 2 Penneth, some things a better left for people who are fully aware of the circumstance to resolve their issues.

Like I said. Rather than 'other' people putting their 2 Penneth, some things a better left for people who are fully aware of the circumstance to resolve their issues.

Yeah, but if you put stuff in the public domain, people are going to form opinions rightly or wrongly. Its the nature of social media (inc. forums)

its a known fact that Andy at GDI cant map for ****t, but its also known that RST have told K-tec about this in the past.
This just highlights an area that K-tec ad David himself says needs to work on to go forward.

All this could be done via a phone really. Was wrong of rs tuning to go on facebook and post what they did.

Least k-tec have repiled too it and kept to a degree of professionalism

I think it's good that it maybe raises the awareness of the potential risks of remaps wherever you go.

Least k-tec have repiled too it and kept to a degree of professionalism

Yep, they had a little dig (understandable) but kept it civil. Taking it on the chin and saying they are listening to the feed back and even thanking Paul was a brave move.

I think it's good that it maybe raises the awareness of the potential risks of remaps wherever you go.

Very true, I've always thought of them (as I'm sure most do) as a pretty safe bet, when that's clearly not the case. Its not the case that I wasn't aware what a remap was or how its done, but I'd just never really put 2+2 together and really thought about it.

its a known fact that Andy at GDI cant map for ****t, but its also known that RST have told K-tec about this in the past.
This just highlights an area that K-tec ad David himself says needs to work on to go forward.

without wanting to open a can of worms of slagging match, surely if what you claim is correct, then for the number of cars that have been mapped, why do we only hear of the odd one that has issues?

without wanting to open a can of worms of slagging match, surely if what you claim is correct, then for the number of cars that have been mapped, why do we only hear of the odd one that has issues?

odd ones?? its just that some have become more public than others

not only that theres a swipe at tdf as well :eek:

That's the latest trend on CS at the moment though, your not in with the cool crew unless you slag TDF off, despite 90% of offenders never even having personal experience with them...

That's the latest trend on CS at the moment though, your not in with the cool crew unless you slag TDF off, despite 90% of offenders never even having personal experience with them...

i gather thats all stemmed from that build project!

but in all this all 3 respected tuners have shall we say had "bad press" :nope:

odd ones?? its just that some have become more public than others

so how come you have heard of all the non public ones and the rest of us havent?

Not that it matters, at the end of the day we all have our prefered or favoured tuners and we will all have different opinions.

ktec will continue to provide a service as will RST. Lets just hope it stays professional....... :tongue_smilie:

so how come you have heard of all the non public ones and the rest of us havent?

Not that it matters, at the end of the day we all have our prefered or favoured tuners and we will all have different opinions.

ktec will continue to provide a service as will RST. Lets just hope it stays professional....... :tongue_smilie:

totally agree with this. What i meant by my last post is K-tec are fully aware of complants past and present about one area, and thats mapping.

the main thing for me is, if it went pop, would k-tec actually amit the fault lied with them? guess that is an opened answered question really

Status
Not open for further replies.