Difficult gear change

Hi guys,

Recently -last week- got my 200's clutch changed. Now installed: complete reinforced Helix system. In the beginning all went well yet a few days ago I noticed that changing gears sometimes was difficult, especially in first from a stand still but also from second to third (especially above 6000 rpm-lower revs seem to be better). It's not an always occuring event. So sometimes start the RS, first gear goes in nicely and off I go. After a stop, at the next set of traffic lights, first gear needs a tremendous amount of force to get in. Same with second to third. Sometimes no problem, the next time I rev upto the limiter and third is nowhere to be found... Suggestions??? Could it be air entrapped somewhere during the clutch change?

Called the guy that did the job for me and he agreed to take a look at it tomorrow. I'm planning on staying next to (or under) my car 'till the problem is found, anything I can look out for myself? There's a sticky here from Foxspeed 'bout the clutch slave cylinder bleed point. Could someone please elaborate a bit for me please? I'm not a mechanic myself yet had hoped the other guy was... +15 years of experience working on cars, he should know the drill.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem with first gear and reverse gear. When I start the car its sometimes near impossible to get it into reverse gear!!

If anyone has anyone light on these problems it would be appreciated.

Changing gear oil to Castrol TAF-X 75W90 MIGHT solve your problem if it isn't of mechanical nature.

I switched to Castrol when I had to change my first clutch (at 25kkm) and had new 3L put in last week when my engine has been rebuilt.

There was a noticable difference in the mourning when the car was cold and on the other gears too.

And another word of advice - if you can't put your stick in the 1st gear when standing still - put it first in 2nd gear and then pull into 1st.

Last edited:
My neighbour driving a Megane 250 RS (311HP actually) called his dealer since mine is on summer holidays. They informed us that the Clio 200 is equipped with a PK6 gearbox and needs 2 liters of Tranself NFP 75W80 oil.

Anyway, since the car is out of warranty and my dealer on holidays, took the car to a respected tuner in the vicinity of were I live. This tuner was only brought to my attention after I had the clutch system installed. They had a look at it and apparently there was way too much oil in the gearbox, which was causing a leak at both sides of the drive shafts. Without taking it all apart again, they could not tell what caused the difficult gear changes. I scheduled the car in for today as we normally would be leaving on summer holidays to the South of France for two weeks, driving my girlfriend's Clio Grandtour but sadly her mother passed away this morning. So I'll be needing the 200 a few more days, as we will now leave next thursday evening. Hope everything holds up :001_unsure:

PS: so the 200 will be @ the tuner for two weeks. He will be trying to release a few more horses out of the atmospheric block. Unfortunately on his brand new 4-WD dyno it only produced 182 HP @ the cranck (stock, only ITG panel filter installed and this bloody Helix clutch) . After reading some OBD data the inlet temp. was 66 °C (150 F) which is way to hot.

Last edited: