Clio 197 RS difficulty starting

I drove my Clio 197 RS back from the airport (about 70miles) no problem on Saturday. Later that day I then tried to drive it somewhere else but it wouldn't start. The lights just kept flashing on and off as if it was trying to start the starter motor but couldn't.

I've managed to get it started a couple of times but pumping the accelerator whilst pressing the on button but its pretty hit-or-miss!

Charged up the battery which appears fine according to my CTEK charger. Obvious fuses in the engine bay seem ok. Could it be the starter motor or the fuel pump on the way out?

I drove my Clio 197 RS back from the airport (about 70miles) no problem on Saturday. Later that day I then tried to drive it somewhere else but it wouldn't start. The lights just kept flashing on and off as if it was trying to start the starter motor but couldn't.

I've managed to get it started a couple of times but pumping the accelerator whilst pressing the on button but its pretty hit-or-miss!

Charged up the battery which appears fine according to my CTEK charger. Obvious fuses in the engine bay seem ok. Could it be the starter motor or the fuel pump on the way out?
Crank sensor

Thanks Siliconsteve.

I got a recovery guy out and we have definitely ruled out a bad battery as it is giving around 15V - sods law the bloody thing started perfectly when he was there! Drove it for half an hour and then stopped and tried restarting it again - nothing! Not even an attempt to turn over - now it is coming up with "Braking fault" and there is a quiet high pitched noise coming from the engine compartment. :chair:

I bought a couple of axle stands and a jack to get underneath and have a look at the crank sensor. I used these points to jack and stand but was jacking it up one side at a time and it was making some funny noises. I don't really trust getting underneath the front when I know the clearance is only about 10cm! Is there a way to get to the crank sensor from the top?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 14.44.23.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 14.44.23.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Siliconsteve.

I got a recovery guy out and we have definitely ruled out a bad battery as it is giving around 15V - sods law the bloody thing started perfectly when he was there! Drove it for half an hour and then stopped and tried restarting it again - nothing! Not even an attempt to turn over - now it is coming up with "Braking fault" and there is a quiet high pitched noise coming from the engine compartment. :chair:

I bought a couple of axle stands and a jack to get underneath and have a look at the crank sensor. I used these points to jack and stand but was jacking it up one side at a time and it was making some funny noises. I don't really trust getting underneath the front when I know the clearance is only about 10cm! Is there a way to get to the crank sensor from the top?
You mean charging 15 v not battery holding 15 v? Sounds like you got more than one issue. Crank sensor is on top I think. I've never looked but will later. It's on bottom on my Meg engine but thought Clio on top

Thanks Siliconsteve.

Ah OK misread your post.if it's not turning over it's not crank sensor. You need to check starter voltage then. I assume recovery checked battery posts

Sorry for the stupid question but where would I test the starter voltage? Across the starter motor connections? Where are they? :think:

Yep he checked battery posts.

Crank sensor can only be accessed from the bottom. Have you thought about taking the car to someone with CLIP (Renault diagnostic tool)?

Reactions: Foxspeed
So, not trusting the recovery guy completely, I ordered a voltmeter and have just tested the battery - low and behold it is registering only 10.5V which I believe is lower than it should be (12V?).

The battery is the original (from 08 so pretty good run!) but has limited information on it. Is a 075 the correct battery to get?

Replaced battery - now working again. Morale of the story is not to always trust recovery "mechanics"!

Will still have a go at cleaning some of those sensors when I can. Thanks for your help @Siliconsteve and @DS197

Good to hear the problem is now fixed mate :smile: I cleaned my crank sensor ages ago with brake cleaner and starting the car was much easier afterwards. Not a job that takes too long to do either.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Good to hear the problem is now fixed mate :smile: I cleaned my crank sensor ages ago with brake cleaner and starting the car was much easier afterwards. Not a job that takes too long to do either.

Mine would sometimes not start and if it did, would sometimes die when ticking over.

So I did this too recently, the sensor appeared fine when it came out, just a bit grubby. However what a difference, not failed to start or die once since. Great tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro