How difficult to change gearbox?

I am thinking about having a go at changing my gearbox myself. How difficult is it? I am practically minded person but admittidely not the most experienced with cars. Most difficult task I've accomplished thus far is changing my front shocks on my 197. If someone could give me a quick run down and how to go about it and what to watch out for that would be great. If it's going to be too much for me to handle I'll pay someone. Just like to save money and like the pride I get knowing I did it myself.

Cheers

I found it easier to drop the front subframe. Split the hubs off the driveshafts/CV joints. Support the bottom or top of the engine, disconnect the 2 shift cables off the gearbox, loosen the starter, then break the gearbox from the engine.

You'll want to change your clutch and slave at the same time - about £200 for genuine parts.

If all nuts/bolts are nice and new/loose then it's a fairly easy job. I managed it the second time within a few hours, but if doing for the first time I would allow a good day, potentially 2.

The shafts can be proper stuck in the gearbox!! But yea as above, drop the subframe, give yourself plenty of room :smile:

yea take the whole lot off, when you do it, it makes its so much easier for access, not that bad a job. Can give it all a good clean too :smile:

It's only 1 bolt at the bottom of the steering column which releases the steering rack. ARB will drop with the subframe and hubs.

It's also a good opportunity to replace the drop links and anti-rotation links. I got mine from ECP for about £50 all in.

Reactions: yazmo197
Thanks for the info guys, think I will give it a go. ill let you know how I get on!

It's well worth doing yourself. At the very least it will give you a great appreciation and understanding of how the car works and is put together, which always helps when something goes wrong.

While you are there I'd be looking at condition of the following also;
Driveshaft and CV boots (easy to change whilst off, painful once all back together)
Drop links and anti-rotation links
ARB bushes
Lower engine mount bush
Gearbox mount/bush
Steering rack - check for play as I know this is a weak point, and there is some sort of plastic bush you can replace easy enough
Change gearbox oil - obvious one, but you'll have to drop the oil out of the old and new box when removing the shafts
Change clutch and slave cylinder