Clio Meg RS320bhp conversion (update Meg Rad)

'How Fast'...First time on the track for me and the car.

Enjoyed my first time on the track and had some good dad n' my lad time. Unfortunately, need to re-think cooling system if I'm to track the car on a more regular basis. I couldn't drive the car in anger without the engine running dangerously hot. Therefore really only limited to a handful of laps. Very frustrating has couldn't make use of the very helpful Martin, the instructor or also enough laps to learn the track, made worse cause it was my first time on any track.....Grrrr Excuses out the way!!!!!

Need to emphasise, day to day driving, no cooling issues at all, but for more track day use (very different tolerances), will have to potential go to a smaller or different design IC. Current one is huge but is blocking enough of the air going to the rad, hence car running far too hot. After complaints, 'Forge' have just changed the design for the Meg 250 IC for the same reason.

General observations (that aside), was the reminder of how great the NA Clio is on the right track in the right hands. The ability to carry momentum in the corners appears to be the key. All things considered, the more powerful megs were no quicker than their NA counter-parts, but I suspected that might be the case anyway at Bedford. I'm guessing, where the FI clio's will differ is on the more power tracks where the need for more torque comes into play...

Best part of the day, I got to see how much grip and braking these cars are capable of. Its given me even more confidence in the car, and has already completely changed how I'll drive it in the future. Anyone who loses these cars on a bend in normal driving conditions would have to be doing something really stupid, these cars are that good.

That aside, the car is fine from the experience, and issues are easily resolved. However, the best money now to be spent is getting me to have a better understanding of how to drive quicker. That's a better investment than any other mod, and lifelong skill irrespective of what car I'm driving in the future...

Last edited:
It's a shame that your car was running too hot to complete any 'hot' laps, the joys of modifying I guess!

Also very refreshing to see somebody being honest about their modifications and complimenting what could be seen on paper as lesser cars. Definitely agree that driver training and tuition is far more beneficial than enhancements and mods in the majority of circumstances.

It's a shame that your car was running too hot to complete any 'hot' laps, the joys of modifying I guess!

Also very refreshing to see somebody being honest about their modifications and complimenting what could be seen on paper as lesser cars. Definitely agree that driver training and tuition is far more beneficial than enhancements and mods in the majority of circumstances.

Thanks. Like you said, its the joys of moddin' and all part of its development. It's common sense re. having cooling issues tbh. The Meg 250 rad is 1/4 bigger, the IC is a 1/4 smaller than mine. Furthermore, the mesh on the Meg 250 grill is equally more of a open design. All helps....

Last edited:
I think Noddie hit the nail on the head right there.
Your car is gorgeous!!
And the engine bay (heating issues aside) is a work of art:smile:

i would also like to add that your car not only looked awesome but sounded insane. that 250 lump with the Superprint exhaust is a great combo

was great to put a name to the face

Nice to meet you I was Kevin the guy with the 250 hope you got home safe Kevin

Nice to meet you Kevin....might take you up on the spa visit....

It looks good in the pics Litchy but fudge me its gorgeous in the flesh.

I think Noddie hit the nail on the head right there.
Your car is gorgeous!!
And the engine bay (heating issues aside) is a work of art:smile:

i would also like to add that your car not only looked awesome but sounded insane. that 250 lump with the Superprint exhaust is a great combo

was great to put a name to the face

Thanks for all your positive comments. Would be great if you talented drivers could pass on some of that knowledge my way.....lol

I think this is the problem on mapped/ intercoolered meg 250s in high temp climates. The intercooler covers up too much rad, but i think its down to the hot coolant water from the turbo recirculating back into the engine coolant system. Cant remember the make but rs tuning sell them, but there intercoolers come with with a turbo cooler (mini radiator) that cools the turbos coolant before recirculaing back into the main system.

I think this is the problem on mapped/ intercoolered meg 250s in high temp climates. The intercooler covers up too much rad, but i think its down to the hot coolant water from the turbo recirculating back into the engine coolant system. Cant remember the make but rs tuning sell them, but there intercoolers come with with a turbo cooler (mini radiator) that cools the turbos coolant before recirculaing back into the main system.

Thats interesting....I'll google it....