clicky steering & iffy handling.

Hi,

Recently bought a 08 plate 197 with 20k on the clock. At slow speed (parking etc) there is a click from the steering wheel at about 45°, left or right. I know the 197/200 has rack issues that are well documented here but I wonder if this is different. It's not a dull mechanical click from within the depths of the car but a click, almost like it's in the assembly near the stalks. Can also make it happen at low speed on the road.

I had a 197 before this one and in general the car doesn't feel as tight as the last one. At speed it feels fine but it just doesn't feel like the go cart I'm used to. The ride is jiggly, may be the fine Scottish roads but I did check the springs to make sure it wasn't running on cup springs that the dealer didn't know about!

The Renault warranty is dead but I have 6 months with another company but they only cover catastrophic failures, not sure if I have any chance of getting them to investigate or replace parts that may just be worn.

Any ideas? I was going to replace the suspension all over and fit a new rack but that's a grand pretty much gone.

If you bought it from a dealer, take it back. You shouldn't need to fork out tons of cash on a car you just bought froma trader. These are all things they should have sorted before selling it!

Could you update here if you get anywhere with this.

I have a similar sounding click / knock from the steering when approaching full left hand lock at lower / parking speeds. Not an audible knock from suspension, but sounds similar to what you're describing.

Problem is there are multiple knocks / clunks described in various threads here and attributed to a number of things including rack, track rod ends, lower arm links, ball joints, engine mounts ........ and the list goes on.

Need to drive another 200 but I do wonder about turn in and sharpness of mine, but then I may just be inventing that because of this!!!!

the clicking noise near the stalks could be the indicators self-cancel mechinism being faulty - might be worth taking covers off & having a look!