Chris's LY 200t.

It's not unheard of drivers to admit they were at fault at the scene and then change their story afterwards

Unfortunately we experienced this recently when my wifes car was written-off.

Not sure a dash-cam would have helped; as her car was static, turned off with no-one in it - when someone else reversed into it.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Unfortunately we experienced this recently when my wifes car was written-off.

Not sure a dash-cam would have helped; as her car was static, turned off with no-one in it - when someone else reversed into it.
You can purchase dashcams which have a g sensor, so when it detects a collision, it'll turn on and start recording. Of course you need one for the front and rear. Also depends on if your area is safe enough to leave dashcams in the car. I know mine certainly isn't :angry:

You can purchase dashcams which have a g sensor, so when it detects a collision, it'll turn on and start recording. Of course you need one for the front and rear. Also depends on if your area is safe enough to leave dashcams in the car. I know mine certainly isn't :angry:

Doesn't seem like my area is good enough to leave a parked car. Let alone one with a camera in it :smile:

Thought the motion sensor thing would be available Which is why i started "Not sure...."

Reactions: DS197
So if someone pulls out on you and you hit them its your fault?
If it's from the right yes it is, if it's from the left and you hit them in the side, 50/50, in the rear, your fault. Basically the law states that you should be in control of your vehicle and be driving in such a way that you have enough time to brake.

Reactions: Jimmy
I'm afraid it's not that simple when it comes to putting in a claim mate. It's not unheard of drivers to admit they were at fault at the scene and then change their story afterwards, and without any proof you'll have to settle for a 50/50. Come renewal time, you'll be shafted for some other plebs inept driving, as not all insurance companies increase premiums if you have a non fault accident.

ETA: Plus the number of close calls i've had are unreal and since i've had my dashcam, they seem to have reduced substantially. It would be silly to imply there is a direct correlation between the two, but that's what my experience has suggested.
Yes but it's the point of impact that's important, if you rear end someone it's your fault, it don't matter if you recorded it.

Then this is a sad world we live in when someone pulls out on you and it's still blame on you if that's what your saying.

Just take a look on YouTube at dash cam compilations. The amount of people trying insurance fraud it's worth doing just for that.

Some insurance companies now are lowering prices if you have a dash cam fitted so they obviously find them useful.

Then this is a sad world we live in when someone pulls out on you and it's still blame on you if that's what your saying.

Just take a look on YouTube at dash cam compilations. The amount of people trying insurance fraud it's worth doing just for that.

Some insurance companies now are lowering prices if you have a dash cam fitted so they obviously find them useful.
You will get a discount this is true but once it's agreed it will become a full time responsibility for you, if you have an accident and can't produce the footage for whatever reason this will go against you. If say for example you recorded someone deliberately stopping in front of you, this footage may help your insurance company reduce their loss but they won't pass that saving onto you, it will still likely be your fault in all but a few cases. It's harsh but it's the way it is.

I'm not saying I would opt for this, as your right, it's something you have to have full time responsibility for, I for one might go on a short drive and not bother with it as an example.

But your saying that it's not useful, but in the other hand insurers must deem it as useful otherwise they wouldn't offer to lower premiums.

I personally wouldn't ever purchase one but the way the world is going they will be installed permanently on mainstream cars straight from the factory very very soon imo

A lot of cars have cameras already but not as dash cams..

Example BMW has them for adaptive headlights.

Teslas have them for automatic drive etc...

> "Where is your footage?"

"dash cam wasn't working..."

> "Then your written off car gets you nothing... sir"

:smiley: Really wouldn't surprise me.

It's just giving them another excuse to weasel out of paying you money in my opinion. As for a discount... I'm sure that's offset by bumping up prices elsewhere.

Any company offering you a discount for anything has only their own interests at heart. No doubt at all.

Just get a good solid mount for your phone and use a decent app I reckon.

> "Where is your footage?"

"dash cam wasn't working..."

> "Then your written off car gets you nothing... sir"

:smiley: Really wouldn't surprise me.

It's just giving them another excuse to weasel out of paying you money in my opinion. As for a discount... I'm sure that's offset by bumping up prices elsewhere.

Any company offering you a discount for anything has only their own interests at heart. No doubt at all.

Just get a good solid mount for your phone and use a decent app I reckon.

Don't hold back lol :ninja:

Similar Thread Suggestions