another problem...

james_h

Platinum Member
The car is only 6k miles in and 18 months old - and I have noticed that the drivers seat foam on the left side is starting to split/crumble slightly on the under side and is popping out from below the seat cover :worried:

Tried to just push it back up and when looking closer the metal seat base/side that the foam moulds around has dug in to the foam and started wear it.:swear:

Not a major problem and might never cause an issue, but none the less don't want to risk it getting bad at some stage when the car is out of warranty.

Took it to Renault today and I'm going to get some pics later to send off to warranty. The foam is replaceable and hopefully get a new seat cover as the one now seems over stretched and won't hold the foam up.

I should have learnt by now what to expect with french cars - and especially their seats!

The seats are so flimsy on these cars!
I've already had a new seat back replaced on drivers side due to the stitching coming undone by itself near the base. :thumb1:

Should all be covered under warranty though. Not the end of the world but still annoying!

The car is only 6k miles in and 18 months old - and I have noticed that the drivers seat foam on the left side is starting to split/crumble slightly on the under side and is popping out from below the seat cover :worried:

Tried to just push it back up and when looking closer the metal seat base/side that the foam moulds around has dug in to the foam and started wear it.:swear:

Not a major problem and might never cause an issue, but none the less don't want to risk it getting bad at some stage when the car is out of warranty.

Took it to Renault today and I'm going to get some pics later to send off to warranty. The foam is replaceable and hopefully get a new seat cover as the one now seems over stretched and won't hold the foam up.

I should have learnt by now what to expect with french cars - and especially their seats!

You took it to the dealer and they are fixing it for you . . . whats the problem

You took it to the dealer and they are fixing it for you . . . whats the problem

eerm.... no problem - apart from poor quality - its a forum so thought I would share the issue and get some feedback see if anyone else has had similar things happen.

Nothing been arranged yet by the dealer - 'hoping' to get it done under warranty.

that not very good, I thought 200 seat should be last longer than 197?

I am pretty disappointed tbh mate. Guess it's probably just a one off maybe seeing as the car is so new and such low mileage. I'll let you know what happens.

these seats r murder my foam is away to feck aswell although its on the actual bucket bit of the seat ren quoted me 290 to get in fixed i also noticed the foam was on the floor when i was hoovering. i actually posted about this a good few months back when i first noticed the problem

Cheers.

Hope so mate. Been a bit of a pain tbh - not sure I'd go for something new again as it's a pain trying to get things sorted through warranty. Rather just fix it myself!

I sympathize with you. I had a new car in another life and realized they don't stay new for long. It your not careful, you'll drive yourself crazy finding stuff. Maybe you'd be better getting rid. What I loved was the level of how you restored your previous cars. That's where your love is....

I have never had any issues with getting stuff done through warranty! You just need to be very clear about what you want done. Just make sure you go in with a set plan. The paint is currently peeling off 3 out of the 4 wheel arches on my car. I worked out why and took some pictures with my slr as its better quality than the women at my local Renault garage with their crap camera. Stuck the pictures on a cd and went down and told them why I think it had happened. The bodyshop guy agreed and the pictures were sent of to RUK. As soon as I got home I opened a complaint with RUK as this will aid in speeding up the process and you will be kept up to date.

I got a call within 3 days and the car is now awaiting my return from the states to be dropped off at the dealership for a smart repair to be carried out.

I have been told I am the customer from hell and most of the service team run away when I turn up but I'm yet to have a claim rejected on both my 200s and my old one had about £2k worth of work done on it. Oh and alway be polite, if you feel yourself getting annoyed just leave it as it will make things worse.

Good luck with the claim.

Last edited:
these seats r murder my foam is away to feck aswell although its on the actual bucket bit of the seat ren quoted me 290 to get in fixed i also noticed the foam was on the floor when i was hoovering. i actually posted about this a good few months back when i first noticed the problem

That's how I noticed. Sure you are going to get wear and foam degradation but not after 18 months and 6k miles - That's what annoys me - poor quality.

I sympathize with you. I had a new car in another life and realized they don't stay new for long. It your not careful, you'll drive yourself crazy finding stuff. Maybe you'd be better getting rid. What I loved was the level of how you restored your previous cars. That's where your love is....

Very true mate - I have thought quite a lot recently about going back to an older Clio, Rallye etc.

I have never had any issues with getting stuff done through warranty! You just need to be very clear about what you want done. Just make sure you go in with a set plan. The paint is currently peeling off 3 out of the 4 wheel arches on my car. I worked out why and took some pictures with my slr as its better quality than the women at my local Renault garage with their crap camera. Stuck the pictures on a cd and went down and told them why I think it had happened. The bodyshop guy agreed and the pictures were sent of to RUK. As soon as I got home I opened a complaint with RUK as this will aid in speeding up the process and you will be kept up to date.

I got a call within 3 days and the car is now awaiting my return from the states to be dropped off at the dealership for a smart repair to be carried out.

I have been told I am the customer from hell and most of the service team run away when I turn up but I'm yet to have a claim rejected on both my 200s and my old one had about £2k worth of work done on it. Oh and alway be polite, if you feel yourself getting annoyed just leave it as it will make things worse.

Good luck with the claim.

Yep, agree with everything you say.

I have to be professional in the job I am in and I'm always 100% professional when calling/going to Renault. We go through the faults, pass on the photos etc, it just seems to take an age I am passed between Renault Customer Service, Warranty and the dealer as no one wants to take responsibility.

'It's as if you have to really prove the issue' is all I can say - when most of the time they are so obvious I shouldn't even need a photo. (ie seat foam split and all over the drivers side floor)

James, I have a 197 and personally I wont have a new 200 because I like to mess with cars and that would only compromise the warranty. Better getting yourself a good daily driver and as you originally planed, a 197. Would love to see what you could do with making a track prepared 197, without like some just throwing money at it at Ktec or others. Proper engineering....care and attention

James, I have a 197 and personally I wont have a new 200 because I like to mess with cars and that would only compromise the warranty. Better getting yourself a good daily driver and as you originally planed, a 197. Would love to see what you could do with making a track prepared 197, without like some just throwing money at it at Ktec or others. Proper engineering....care and attention

mate - I 100% agree with you on the inability to modify and race prep anything new - regretting it slightly, but at the time I had to get rid of the 172 cup as I needed something at least semi-practical for work.

I would like to go the track prepared route as per the past, and start competing - if not for a season at least some track action.

I do miss the engineering side - especially when I see my friend competing at Shelsley Walsh changing the gearbox on the day! etc. The Brother in law isn't entering his 106 rallye this year - maybe I should make an offer on it and buy it back!

As for a 197 track car I think weight is a key area on the latest clio's. Fully stripped and braced up with a decent track dedicated suspension set up would be first up - I've lost touch with what's out there for the modern clio. Engine wise I'm not sure how much is to be had from the stock unit - I don't know enough about this engine - the Peugeot XU9J4 (mi16) and TU2J2/TU5J2 (106 rallye 1.3/1.6) were my forte before defecting to Renault. Throttle bodies and new engine management is probably the obvious choice. If it's a flat circuit as opposed to hill climbing I can imagine lightened flywheel could be an advantage. Decent LSD as well. oh and a set of semi slicks like Michelin Pilot sport cups. Brakes are pretty much as good as you are going to get IMO especially if the car is to be lightened - maybe carbon lorraine pads for light track use and uprated brake fluid.

As for a 197 track car I think weight is a key area on the latest clio's. Fully stripped and braced up with a decent track dedicated suspension set up would be first up - I've lost touch with what's out there for the modern clio. Engine wise I'm not sure how much is to be had from the stock unit - I don't know enough about this engine - the Peugeot XU9J4 (mi16) and TU2J2/TU5J2 (106 rallye 1.3/1.6) were my forte before defecting to Renault. Throttle bodies and new engine management is probably the obvious choice. If it's a flat circuit as opposed to hill climbing I can imagine lightened flywheel could be an advantage. Decent LSD as well. oh and a set of semi slicks like Michelin Pilot sport cups. Brakes are pretty much as good as you are going to get IMO especially if the car is to be lightened - maybe carbon lorraine pads for light track use and uprated brake fluid.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan!!!

As for a 197 track car I think weight is a key area on the latest clio's. Fully stripped and braced up with a decent track dedicated suspension set up would be first up - I've lost touch with what's out there for the modern clio. Engine wise I'm not sure how much is to be had from the stock unit - I don't know enough about this engine - the Peugeot XU9J4 (mi16) and TU2J2/TU5J2 (106 rallye 1.3/1.6) were my forte before defecting to Renault. Throttle bodies and new engine management is probably the obvious choice. If it's a flat circuit as opposed to hill climbing I can imagine lightened flywheel could be an advantage. Decent LSD as well. oh and a set of semi slicks like Michelin Pilot sport cups. Brakes are pretty much as good as you are going to get IMO especially if the car is to be lightened - maybe carbon lorraine pads for light track use and uprated brake fluid.

Sounds like a plan!!![/QUOTE]

How did I know you would say that! ha ha :thumbup: