Another headlight problem!

CallorFold

Platinum Member
So after both of my sidelights going pop, I've replaced them and confirmed they're working ok...(pretty certain all lights were functioning 100% ok as I specifically checked everything after replacing the bulbs).

Now a week later, it seems my drivers side high beam is stuck on when the dipped beam is on..

If I change to sidelights only, everything is ok, but if I turn dipped beam on, passenger side is fine, drivers side is both main and dipped beam. If I actually put main beam on, passenger side comes on too. So the problem only appears to be the drivers side headlight cluster....

Any ideas?? Might it be worth removing the sidelight bulbs to see if this is causing it?

(For reference, the new sidelight bulbs I fitted were OSRAM Cool Blue Intense 5W5's - although I replaced like for like as far as I remember and the previous OSRAM bulbs were in for a year+)

Speaking to someone at work (previous Renault owner) it seems like Fuse Relay might be a likely cause, anyone know where this is located? Presumably it's the awkward one to get to which requires removal of the battery?

Please ignore all of the above. Popped out at lunch time to take a look and realised I was being stupid.

What has actually happened is the passenger dipped beam bulb has gone. Nothing to do with main beam.

On another note, OSRAM Bulbs are proving to be absolute shite. Both side light bulbs and 1 dipped beam bulb have blown in the space of 3 weeks. All were 4 bulbs (side+dipped) were replaced approx. 1 year ago. Can't imagine it's long until the drivers side dipped will blow too, although hopefully I'll have fitted a new pair by then.

Yeah they were ' OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited', and the sides were the 'Cool Blue Intense'

Don't think I'll be replacing with Nightbreakers again, might try Phillips or Bosh alternative.

Just ordered some 'Philips 12972XV+S2 X-tremeVision' from Amazon. Prime magic should mean they arrive tomorrow so I can fit tomorrow night.

Well, what an absolute fucking joke that was. Those dipped beam bulbs are an absolute menace to change. Best part of 1 hour and my hands are ruined.

Clever me didn't realise you had to remove the wires from the bulb, then release the retaining clip, then the bulb drops out and carry the same steps in reverse order to replace.

Managed to pull the retaining Spring off completely on the passenger side, then shining a torch light and watching my hand through the little gap in the headlight where the bulb came from to find the 2 pin holes and get it re-attached!!

These new bulbs had better last until the car is sold! I was about 2 more hand cuts away from torching the entire thing for an insurance claim

Well, what an absolute fucking joke that was. Those dipped beam bulbs are an absolute menace to change. Best part of 1 hour and my hands are ruined.

Clever me didn't realise you had to remove the wires from the bulb, then release the retaining clip, then the bulb drops out and carry the same steps in reverse order to replace.

Managed to pull the retaining Spring off completely on the passenger side, then shining a torch light and watching my hand through the little gap in the headlight where the bulb came from to find the 2 pin holes and get it re-attached!!

These new bulbs had better last until the car is sold! I was about 2 more hand cuts away from torching the entire thing for an insurance claim
Yeah it's tight alright. I done the same, looked through the headlight.