Another gearbox oil thread

Yip... When I changed my gearbox oil to Ravenol, I was hoping for miracles... Who knew the fix would be that cheap and easy?

Yip... When I changed my gearbox oil to Ravenol, I was hoping for miracles... Who knew the fix would be that cheap and easy?

Just hope other folk with the same issue resolve it too.

I was beginning to think the clutch or slave was on its road out and after just having the subframe off for a new rack and manifold i wasn't looking forward to ripping it all to bits!!

Thanks guys :smile: Just to check any things to do after disconnecting the battery other than the radio code?

Not that I can remember... Just make sure you rest the battery on something plastic or rubber while it's out of the car... And be careful with the battery housing. Some of those clips are made from the finest French chocolate...

Really interesting thread my 200 has always been a pig to get in gear when cold. Iv noticed the car goes into gear fine when the engine is off so I tend to select 1st clutch in and start engine, hence why I'm sceptical mine is a linkage issue ..feels more like a clutch problem, but this is worth a shot I guess. Any pictures of this ?

Really interesting thread my 200 has always been a pig to get in gear when cold. Iv noticed the car goes into gear fine when the engine is off so I tend to select 1st clutch in and start engine, hence why I'm sceptical mine is a linkage issue ..feels more like a clutch problem, but this is worth a shot I guess. Any pictures of this ?
Check post #37

To be honest mate that's exactly how mines had always felt, It's freezing temps up this way lately and I've not had the same amount of bother since I lubed the linkages, I mean don't get me wrong, when the box is stone cold there is a little resistance like most cars but at least I can get it into gear.

Before hand I was fumbling about trying to carefully find any gear that it would slot into then work my way back but now it's no where near the problem it was.

I think if the plastics ie sockets are especially cold and no lubrication then it's gonna hinder the movement so maybe just maybe cause the issue of not fully engaging the gears.

For as simple a fix, just get your hands under the battery, have a feel about and you'll feel the linkage, if u take your time you'll get a can of lube in to spray but it's cleaner taking the battery out.

Worth a try don't you think? Better than constant putting strain on the linkages and making matters worse due to wear.

Yeah 100% worth a try I currently dread starting the car from cold and selecting 1st as it feels like something is going to break each time. Il grab a can and give it a try and report back see if it helps. Praying it will:d

I leave my car in reverse whilst parked up, when I have backed off the drive it normally goes into 1st fine (touch wood!) I have just ordered a can of silicone spray, will see if it helps.

Apologies in advance for being pedantic.. but I will only get it wrong if I don't ask exactly what to do :book:

When I look down the side of my battery I can see what's in the 2nd and 3rd pic. Are these what I lube up? If so, how - just spray around?!

Or is it the very end things in the first pic that I should be lubing (can't see them down the side of my battery). If it is these, what do I do? :smile:

Cheers for any help!

852d71b4408882932b9ba43afc29d375.jpg

08CF2369-1319-4978-81A4-0EB6FC2898B8-1723-00000334094267C1_zps5a82b30b.jpg

6A362EA7-8A76-4E08-B0C7-CB460353C3F7-1723-00000334126B4FB4_zps28e5608a.jpg

Spraying some lube on that definitely helps, but it's obviously better if you can do the full Monty. And yes, just spray some lube on it.

I also found that removing the air inlet pipe creates a bit more space for the guys who don't wanna remove their battery

Apologies in advance for being pedantic.. but I will only get it wrong if I don't ask exactly what to do :book:

When I look down the side of my battery I can see what's in the 2nd and 3rd pic. Are these what I lube up? If so, how - just spray around?!

Or is it the very end things in the first pic that I should be lubing (can't see them down the side of my battery). If it is these, what do I do? :smile:

Cheers for any help!

852d71b4408882932b9ba43afc29d375.jpg

08CF2369-1319-4978-81A4-0EB6FC2898B8-1723-00000334094267C1_zps5a82b30b.jpg

6A362EA7-8A76-4E08-B0C7-CB460353C3F7-1723-00000334126B4FB4_zps28e5608a.jpg

I found it was the (very end things) [emoji23] that I lubed which made all the difference, if you expose enough area by removing the battery also the battery box and or the Airbox which really isn't that difficult, it will make things a lot easier to see what you're doing.

Anyone who tries it should post their input whether it's worked for them or not. Always handy for others to see.

Narrowed the pic down a bit, see where the cable goes into the outer tubing? I sprayed into there in the hope it would help the cables move more freely. Also the sockets on the end I sprayed, once you expose them you'll see what likely needs lubed! [emoji106][emoji108]

I found it was the (very end things) [emoji23] that I lubed which made all the difference, if you expose enough area by removing the battery also the battery box and or the Airbox which really isn't that difficult, it will make things a lot easier to see what you're doing.

Anyone who tries it should post their input whether it's worked for them or not. Always handy for others to see.

Thought I best use the technical term for them :wink:

Still not 100% sure where I need to be spraying but hopefully it will become obvious once I'm looking at it! Pic is a bit too small to see much detail and I can't seem to zoom in.

Once I've done it I will be sure to report back

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but i have just tried the silicone lubricant trick and have a picture that better shows where you need to be, so i thought id put it on here for anyone that looks in the future. 700b4cced3a04c90d9f3e45f2f7699e4.jpg underneath that black tray, it is what the battery sits on. Then here is what you lube up16b74a55de5c1944114fa62ad520e76e.jpg