TL4 gearbox....no not another broken one this time (gearbox stripped down)

Foxspeed

"the new red baron"
got a spare box so decided to strip this afternoon!

not many tools required just a bit fiddly and i didnt strip the main shaft down as it would need pullers and a press - just curious over what type of chocolate they use on the synchro hubs/baulk rings

pictures to follow :clap:

tools used so far...

P3060008_zps97d8729f.jpg

Last edited:
internals

reverse idler

P3060012_zpse8a66347.jpg

mainshaft and layshaft

P3060011_zps1de39814.jpg

diff and mainshaft
P3060015_zps8fba86d6.jpg

view of baulk rings (brass coloured items)

P3060014_zps15f76588.jpg

selectors for 3/4 5/6 and the barrel selector

P3060013_zps5be59318.jpg

Great work there Foxspeed, which one(s) is/are the dodgy bit(s) then??

the brass coloured items are part of the issue - will try to get better pictures later on when i put it back together

must say this box is in very good condition - no chipped teeth/worn bearings/excessive metal swarf...

I see, how long did it take you to strip everything apart? Well at least now I know who is going to fit an LSD in my box!!

(joking:smile:)

nice work foxy, i think its the oil rather than anything else.

the brass coloured items are part of the issue - will try to get better pictures later on when i put it back together

must say this box is in very good condition - no chipped teeth/worn bearings/excessive metal swarf...

If you want I can bring my big camera around to take some hi-res shots, I'd be interested to take a peek too :wink:

If you want I can bring my big camera around to take some hi-res shots, I'd be interested to take a peek too :wink:

fine tom - might start puting it back together soon - just need to clean/degrease the outer casings first

I see, how long did it take you to strip everything apart? Well at least now I know who is going to fit an LSD in my box!!

(joking:smile:)

it took me longer working out how it came apart - i didnt have any manuals so sort of guessed/experience sort of way to strip it :oops:

to get it to that stage about hour - to strip down the mainshafts would take alot longer as bearings need to be pulled and pressed off - but didnt use any "special tools" to get it in that state!

Excellent work mate, thumbs up. I would've been lost in all those gears, bolts, screws etc within 3 seconds...

I bet i'll be harder to put it back together!

Its that "O Sh#t" moment when you get it all back together and find a spare cog on your bench.....

Then again at least with 4th gear missing it won't crunch anymore.. Lol

I bet i'll be harder to put it back together!

worst part is the mainshaft-layshaft-reverse idler you have to sort of jiggle around to get them to all line up and the 2 selector fork shafts to drop in position....

still easier than the spicer boxes i had to strip and rebuild as they need to be timed :oops:

a few thoughts

early 06 and 56 plate gearboxes seem to be better/more robust?

i have a parts listing from a dealer showing that 1st and 2nd gear have a 3-part synchro hub/baulk ring arrangement - i thought that the 3-part items were on 3rd and 4th...

i wonder if the 2007/8 boxes were changed to 3-part on 3 & 4 and this was their down fall?

will have a closer look at the stripped box and see what it has!

as for oil - theres a clever oil collector in the gearbox casing that collects oil spashed from the gears that feeds one of the mainshaft bearings - could be an issue if the gearbox oil level was low...

anyone have any other info on the tl4 box?