Another Gearbox bites the dust

M

Mentalpen

28 days outside of warranty ffs.

I've asked RUK cs for a new box and clutch.

See what they come back with...........................

4th syncro is shot, with servicing and parts I've spent around 150k in 10 years so I'm hoping they will up there offer when they get back to me.

Just Sod's law it happens so soon after its 3rd birthday.

Been quoted £1,200 for the box replacement which is cheaper than most but that still equates to £43ish a day.

I've also enquired about a 200T but can't get figures till around the 8th which I told them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gear boxes on these are shocking, I bet around 50% have a gearbox change in the warranty period. With the money you've spent and the obvious **** box I'd be fighting for it to be done for nothing if I was you.

That's the idea along with a new clutch, however it's better to pay something as you then get a warranty, even if its 1p.

Pay nothing and you get no warranty.

Whilst I'm obviously not happy it's not that it's gone wrong its how they deal with it that counts. So far it's been a price off £1200 which is around £1000 less than anyone else and that was from the dealer putting the part number into a computer and it saying 40% contribution.

So a phone call to CS and they then ring the dealer to negotiate rates Renault will pay for it fixing. They then pass that to me saying they are doing it at X now.

I just have to keep being unhappy chappy as much as I can I guess. Of course loyalty to Renault will come in as will the car which has full main dealer history.

With it being bank holiday I don't expect a reply till mid/late next week.

Cheers Zanda i have full confidence in Renault, only contacted them twice before and they have been great on those occasions.

The manager I spoke to was very understanding although I doubt they will have much say in it. As with all companies they will only be able to authorise so much before it has to be passed on higher up the chain.

RUK just got back to me and upped there offer to 90% or me to pay £220.

They said they can't do more but I'm going to go back to them later this aft.

I'd be happy to pay that, £220 for a new clutch and gearbox is pulling their pants down!!! :smiley:

Not that you should have to mind, I fully appreciate that, but still, that's not bad at all.

I tried to get a new clutch at both times, when the slave cylinder went and when the box went.

Got shot down at both attempts

This thread makes me feel ill :worried:

Damn gearboxes are such a shame, every owner is now either pissed off theirs has broken or worried that theirs might.

Damn gearboxes are such a shame, every owner is now either pissed off theirs has broken or worried that theirs might.

I'm not.

Mines on 65k now and is sweet as a nut. If it breaks it breaks it's 5.5 years old now, so I think it's had a good innings personally.

I'm not.

Mines on 65k now and is sweet as a nut. If it breaks it breaks it's 5.5 years old now, so I think it's had a good innings personally.

a gearbox shouldnt really have a life expectancy - these days it should be a fit and forget component just a shame the tl4 has this weakness! if it was like the old vauxhall f13 box you could/i did a fifth gear replacment without removing the box :clap:in fact you could remove the whole geartrain and leave the box in position!!!

For £220 I'd consider that a good outcome, to be honest it sounds to me RUK are really looking after you.

As for the premature failures in the gearboxes who here bought a renaultsport for its legendary reliability? Some things you must accept when buying a French performance motor. Having said that mines like new still so I could have a different opinion if it does go :wink: