06 Albi Blue 197

Cheers!

Covered around 350 miles today, car was perfect. Will be doing a lot more miles tomorrow so long may it continue!

Need to get a filter and some oil ordered for its service later this month after the Blyton Park track day.

Read the whole thing, great stuff!!!

With all those long journeys, how are you finding the gearing on motorways etc.?

It's fine on your own, can be a bit noisy with passengers. Would be a lot worse with an aftermarket exhaust.

So today I achieved the 450 mile tank of petrol, very please with myself, 38.1mpg!

I have done well over 1,000 miles in the car since Saturday, and over 400 miles just today. What a great car, refined and responsive enough with the cruise set at 70 on the motorway, and a complete hoot on windy A roads, plus a 3rd gear that is awesome for overtaking!

On the downside the "Service Due Soon" warning came on around 250 miles ago, which I think will have been 11,000 miles after it was last serviced. I am assuming it will change at 12,000 miles to service due now or similar. The oil was changed about 4,500 miles ago, so there is no great urgency but in any case it is booked in for 27th.

That's pretty much equal to my best economy too, really not too bad considering the bad reputation these cars have for mpg

Little car did really well at Cadwell last night, the Toyos probably helped but the car was great. Took a couple of mates with me, one of whom is more of a biker and he was astounded about how it went around corners. I seemed to have forgotten most of what the instructor had told me last time, so I think the next time I book a day at Cadwell, I will try to get an instructor booked early on so I can practice for the rest of the day.

Also, got the tyres filled with nitrogen yesterday morning, adjusted them later when cold, 33PSI @ 20C = 40PSI @ 50C, so much for nitrogen not expanding!

Brakes continue to impress, there are a couple of places where I could brake harder and later, and once or twice I overbraked going into Park. At times it felt like there was a touch of debris stuck to the disc but this soon cleaned itself up. No fade though and good feel, despite standard pads and standard brake lines. I am probably going to whip the pads out to check them over when I change the wheels back later this week.

This was my first track event with the 197 Cup chassis, and to be honest I couldn't notice much if any difference. One day I will get the 200 Cup steering rack fitted and will see if that makes much difference. Not that I am at all dissatisfied with things as they are, as the car does seem really well setup for road and track use.

What was interesting was just how twitchy the rear ends of other FWD french stuff seemed to be, 1*2's, Saxos, 306's, I guess that just means they were trying harder than me!

In any case, a terrific evening and excellent fun. If you have one of these cars and don't use it on the track then you are really missing out.

Oh, and 12.9MPG on track, based on 9 road miles and 71 track miles.

Swapped the wheels back, leaky valve on one of the Toyos so waiting for a replacement.

While the wheels were off all of them got a wash inside and out, and I took the opportunity to strip down and clean the front calipers, with liberal use of copper grease.

Then today the car got a wash, wheels off again, cleaned the arch liners with AG engine & machine cleaner, wiped down the calipers again (this time cunningly not in the dark) and touched up a few marks with some red hammerite; it isn't a perfect match but should be fine.

While I was cleaning the arches, I noticed some muck and debris inside the o/s sill trim, cue removing the rearmost three bolts and unclipping enough to spray the hose in and clear out the debris. Tried the same on the n/s, very little muck in there, but may have broken one of the clips so will get a few replacements just in case.

Service a week tomorrow, bit more track action beforehand at Blyton on Sunday.

No pics from today, calipers look good but the discs look oxidised as I didn't want to drive the car to clean them until the paint was properly dry.

You may have mentioned it before but where did u get the steering wheel trimmed? I'm only in wakefield so is it local?

Car looks gorgeous aswell.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the compliment, I can't honestly recall where my wheel was done, but if I was going to have one done now I would certainly use Edge Automotive.

What were you thinking of? Mine could be for sale as I fancy something slightly different.

Cheers

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the compliment, I can't honestly recall where my wheel was done, but if I was going to have one done now I would certainly use Edge Automotive.

What were you thinking of? Mine could be for sale as I fancy something slightly different.

Cheers

I've heard some good stuff about them so i might give them a try. Im not sure what i want yet, but i dont think the blue trim on your wheel would go with my car as its green. i quite fancy taking the back seats out, sticking a half cage in and carpeting it (bit like r26r) but do it so it can all be put back when i come to sell or if i sell. I get bored of my cars easily and ive had this 2 years now and i really need to hang on to it and try save some money, so i thought doing the half stripped look would be cheap and keep the car fresh to me.

Cheers N0ddie!

Martin - if yours is green then no, blue wouldn't suit! I do have a spare plain wheel that I have rented out to people so they can get theirs retrimmed. I also have a half cage that I have decided not to fit. Collection from near Doncaster. PM me if you might be interested. I did look at fitting it though and IMO you are best removing the rear belts altogether, trying to fit the lower mounts under or to the cage is a right PITA.