06 Albi Blue 197

Bit of experimenting with where to mount the camera;

2011-08-09001.jpg

2011-08-09002.jpg

I did have it just clamped to the surround but having trialled it on a long drive on Monday, it slipped over time, due to the wedge shape. Also I had the reflection of the screen vents which was annoying. As you can see above I have now modified the clock surround to give the camera a flat mounting and position it closer to the screen. This will hopefully minimise reflections, shouldn't get loose, and seems to be quite secure. I have another long drive tomorrow, where I will trial it with the intention of getting it right before my next track day in September.

Comments and questions welcome as ever!

Brave man taking a dremel to your clock surround lol. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to buy a GoProHD Motorsport or something similar to avoid having to do this?

Does look quite cool though.

It was a spare that I modified, still have my original and a retrimmed one.

I did look at the GoPro but wanted the GPS functionality of the Contour. Other than shape there doesn't seem to be much else to choose between them. I will post some sample footage soon.

Car is at the garage at the moment in preparation for taking it to Cadwell next week. Jobs in hand include;

• Clio 200 Cup steering rack
  • Clio Cup X85 front anti-roll bar
  • Remove manifold and weld up cracks at flange
  • Replace o/s/f upper lower ball joint, which involves replacing the hub carrier and the component below the hub carrier - not a cheap job

The parts associated with the hub are bloody expensive, anyone buying a Clio, especially an early one, should be on the lookout for these on the latest MoT advisory list, parts alone to replace this one ball joint will be over £300!

Hoping to get it back tomorrow evening, I expect it will be a little different to steer. We reckon the Cup steering rack takes off around 1/2 turn between locks.

Cheers, I am just hoping the 200 Cup doesn't have recalibrated power assistance compared to the standard car, otherwise it could be awful!

Picked the car up this evening, hard to notice any significant difference but it does seem a bit flatter than it did. Had a bit of a hoon around a roundabout and was a touch worried about it understeering more, but I think that was more down to my being in 2nd. In any case, I need to get the alignment checked in the morning.

Few teething issues with the heat shielding that needed to come off for the manifold, pretty much sorted buy still a bit of a tis around 2,500 rpm. I hope to get it on the ramp on Saturday morning to sort it out.

Swapped the wheels over today in preparation for Cadwell on Tuesday, quite excited about that now!

Ok, minor update, 200 Cup toe settings are slightly different to the 197/197 Cup toe settings but only by 2 minutes, with significant cross over in spec, so there would be no benefit in having the toe settings adjusted again in advance of the track day tomorrow.

Initial impressions suggest that the car is understeering more, which had I researched getting a thicker ARB I would have realised was a common result. Unfortunatley it was all a bit of a rush to get the car into the garage to get the manifold done and the ARB was very much spur of the moment because we were dropping the subframe anyway so it made sense to do it at the same time.

There are ways to counteract the understeer, such as adjusting toe out, increasing track, etc. but I don't really want to go down that road. Current view is see how it is tomorrow and then consider refitting the standard ARB.

Took the car to Cadwell Park today, it performed faultlessly, though I did struggle getting the power down coming out of Barn, and seemed to have more understeer through Chris Curve, overall though a pretty great day, despite early afternoon showers.

Pics;

XSP_3920.jpg

XSP_3964.jpg

XSP_3963.jpg

XSP_3962.jpg

XSP_4035.jpg

XSP_4034.jpg

XSP_4033.jpg

XSP_4036.jpg

XSP_0757.jpg

XSP_0789.jpg

XSP_4412.jpg

XSP_4411.jpg

XSP_4410.jpg

XSP_1033.jpg

XSP_1064.jpg

XSP_1063.jpg

XSP_4485.jpg

XSP_4518.jpg

XSP_4539.jpg

XSP_4588.jpg

XSP_1288.jpg

XSP_1289.jpg

XSP_4616.jpg

XSP_1342.jpg

XSP_4676.jpg

XSP_4703.jpg

XSP_1436.jpg

XSP_4771.jpg

XSP_1482.jpg

XSP_4803.jpg

XSP_1513.jpg

XSP_1549.jpg

XSP_4891.jpg

XSP_4892.jpg

XSP_1613.jpg

Fantastic! Car looks great, some great pictures. Think I might actually try and make some mud flaps for the front of mine this winter.