06 Albi Blue 197

Not done much with the car recently, had a nice gentle drive down to Bristol and back last week, slightly disappointing economy though as I only got 34mpg out of the tank, despite driving as though Miss Daisy was in the car.

What was annoying was a couple of rattles, one from the glovebox, another from the phone bracket and a third from the steering column cowling. With this in mind I set to this evening, discovered some bolts and the cigar lighter at the back of the glovebox, so hopefully that will have solved that. I then stripped part of the drivers dash apart and refitted using some anti-ratttle tape, which I also used on the phone and nav brackets, so fingers crossed the rattles will now be resolved.

Might have another from the n/s/r quarter, which I partly removed when looking at fitting the cage, so that might be coming out to be refitted shortly.

Cheers guys!

It seems really odd, but I am not sure if they are too light or too dark, just perhaps not quite how I expected.
i have to agree with you Ralphy cant make my mind up on the colour i think darker
nice wheels though

Wow, someone who actually does something about the rattles! I feel a how to coming on. Mine sometimes has a little rattle from the steering column. It's only every now and again though, so not really bothered. the worst thing for me is the heater fan, which after about an hour - 2 hour drive starts to make a horrible noise than gets louder and louder. and renault wolverhampton won't do anything about it because it only does it after such a long time.

My fan sometimes sounds noisy, but I have always assumed that is just how it is.

The steering column trim would vibrate from time to time, I put it down to my possibly not refitting it properly when I changed the wheel. I have used a lot of the anti-rattle tape, but cut in half. Only thing I need to confirm is that the top and bottom halves have properly engaged, the tape makes pushes them apart slightly, despite being hidden. The bottom half screws and clips into the column, the top half just clips into the bottom. I think it is all ok, but it may push apart while driving.

Touch wood I also fixed a rattle from the back of my sisters mini, though it savaged my finger in the process.

Mines got a few rattles now too, have no idea where they're coming from though which makes them kind of difficult to fix! Never had any interior trim off either so surprised its happened

Yeah, they are often pretty tricky to track down.

Mine seems better today than it did previously, but now I think there may be one or two (much lesser) others that I didn't hear before, or assumed were related to the originals!

Changed my lower engine mount on Saturday for one from a lower mileage car, just a bit of preventative maintenance.

Had an appointment in the peak district this morning, thoroughly enjoyed the car both ways, must have said to myself several times that I really love this car.

Also just checked and I have now had the car for nearly a year, and I still love it. I am going to do over 800 miles in this car over the next three days and am really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Boot leak, other little things. Size, lack of low down urge and how bad it feels when there are more then 3 people in the car, or a full tank, or a full boot. Plus it's bad on fuel and I don't use it enough, but when I do, the fuel and high gearing annoy me. I'm on holiday atm, driven down to Somerset and struggled with the mpg. Plus could do with extra space and low down pull. We tend to go away in the UK about 5 times a year. When I want to play it's great, but the missus hates me driving fast and she also hates driving it. I would like to sell the missus' car and just have one, save some dosh!

Hmm, sounds like you need a Golf/Focus TD.

I wouldn't want to try to cope with the Clio as the larger or main car. It is great, but the boot isn't big, especially with a spare wheel in there, and you are right about the economy, plus the doors are really long and it has a massive arse.

Still love it though!

Tbh I think the boot is big for a super mini hot hatch. Managed last weekend to get 4 chairs and a dining table in the back from Ikea, and the day before got a pram, buggie, car seat and all the gubbins in no problem.

Our trip computer is currently saying just under 32mpg and thats including however many trackdays its done. So far, we've never regretted buying it or gave not yet fallen out of love with it yet.

The missus really wants a Leon FR. Diesel or Petrol, the petrol is surprisingly cheaper to insure. Plus it's quicker. My dad had the same VAG engine in his TT and would get much better economy than you would expect. Might go and have a look at one soon.

Sounds nice. If you are getting bored with the car then it could be worth changing.

Don't forget however to take account of depreciation as part of your running costs, plus consider that if you buy retail, then you will only get trade money for yours but will pay retail for its replacement, so will probably be around £1,000 worse off in net terms.

Even if the petrol is cheaper to insure, I would still consider the diesel, though it depends on the mileage you will do.

Ye, the diesel was my first thought, but we don't do a lot of miles on a regular basis, it's when we go on holiday. We regularly go to Barmouth and to see family in Devon. That's why I think the petrol might be a better option for us, we need a bit better economy than the Clio, but I'm not sure the amount of miles we do would warrant a diesel. However, I think the tax is cheaper on the diesel.