Yet another Meg 225 engine in a 197 thread....

R26 conversion\map -Around 3000ish including parts, labour and remap =270 bhp - bigger intercooler 280/290bhp
Supercharger = 4000 fitted = 260 bhp
TB and standalone ECU\map 2500 = 215ish bhp
Cams\exhaust\map (depending on which one) 2000 = 220bhp

No way are cams zaust and map that cheap lol!!! :wink:

Thought the r26 conversion would be a lot more? Why so cheap Inc labour??

Buy an R26. Done. Handles better than a 197/200 out of the box. Remap+coilovers, you'd have to spend an awful lot of cash to build a Clio that would match it.

the clio and megane have the same front susspenion set up, only reason why the megane is faster is due to the lsd diff and almosdouble the amount of torque

Who on here has done the conversion and knows what's involved?
Cheers

To date no one....and just read that the Jamsport car's no longer got the charger on it. So this has made my mine up. I don't envisage many mechanical issues with regard to the conversion, cause as people have already said the Meg front suspension set up is the same, the engine externally is the same. Just need to decide whether to use the Meg loom and ecu or piggyback the standard clio ecu. Will be talking with my people later on today. Then if they are up for it, find a donar car. This will take some time as most will just break the car than sell complete if the damage is that bad....

Who on here has done the conversion and knows what's involved?
Cheers

Don't worry the charger is still going ahead :wink:

Think I'm going down the R26 transplant route. Speaking with Steve who worked on your car and he's confident about doing the loom from R26 into the clio, and then using a standalone to manage some of the mapping side of it. My plain is to fit bigger intercooler and remap for something around 280 ish bhp. Just need to find doner Meg, what all the bits available.

Last edited:
To date no one....and just read that the Jamsport car's no longer got the charger on it. So this has made my mine up. I don't envisage many mechanical issues with regard to the conversion, cause as people have already said the Meg front suspension set up is the same, the engine externally is the same. Just need to decide whether to use the Meg loom and ecu or piggyback the standard clio ecu. Will be talking with my people later on today. Then if they are up for it, find a donar car. This will take some time as most will just break the car than sell complete if the damage is that bad....

its commonly known that a car running either stand alone or piggy back system are not 100% reliable, i think your talk of piggy back system is abit over kill, i know of a megane runing 320bhp and 400 ft/lbs of torque uprated internals and standard ecu :smile:

i have been waiting for well over a year to do this, just waiting for some more final details,

Cars running standalone should not have a problem as long as they are mapped correctly. You have to expect some changes in the behaviour of the car as it is going to be quite far from standard if you have gone as far as fitting a standalone ecu. The main issue I can see with the conversion would be possibly diveshaft lengths, I imagine the splines are the same in the hub? Also multiplexed information other computers need from the ecu may become a problem right down to it could affect the sat nav etc as they all talk to each other. When just remapping a standard ecu this is fine because the basics are still the same but when fitting a standalone the basics aren't there. It must be able to be done but most tuners in French Market don't have the experience but I wonder if a tuner who normally tunes cars in the jap Market could take it on. Nearly all new cars are multiplexed so this is not a new problem.

That engine from the 250 is sitting on a pallet with gearbox/manifolds and loom still attached. Very tempting

its commonly known that a car running either stand alone or piggy back system are not 100% reliable, i think your talk of piggy back system is abit over kill, i know of a megane runing 320bhp and 400 ft/lbs of torque uprated internals and standard ecu :smile:

i have been waiting for well over a year to do this, just waiting for some more final details,

I've just returned from meeting at garage. I've got a commitment from them. We talked about different options re ecu. We intend to use meg engine loom and standard ecu. They were talking about things I don't understand but trust them. I've seen their work and they also fitted supercharger in my BMW. They are just finishing a cosworth engined transit connect. The hope for them is it may generate interest from others with Clio 197's. The plan is now to find a donor car....let's hope I don't lose my bottle and back out!!!!

Last edited:
Well I haven't backed out at all, I am waiting for my company that I am using to find out the last little bits with regards to ecu, then its all systems go :smile:

Cars running standalone should not have a problem as long as they are mapped correctly. You have to expect some changes in the behaviour of the car as it is going to be quite far from standard if you have gone as far as fitting a standalone ecu. The main issue I can see with the conversion would be possibly diveshaft lengths, I imagine the splines are the same in the hub? Also multiplexed information other computers need from the ecu may become a problem right down to it could affect the sat nav etc as they all talk to each other. When just remapping a standard ecu this is fine because the basics are still the same but when fitting a standalone the basics aren't there. It must be able to be done but most tuners in French Market don't have the experience but I wonder if a tuner who normally tunes cars in the jap Market could take it on. Nearly all new cars are multiplexed so this is not a new problem.

That engine from the 250 is sitting on a pallet with gearbox/manifolds and loom still attached. Very tempting

Very true, and u typed what I couldn't be asked to lol, drive shafts and hubs etc aren't a worry, as the r26 suspension is near on the same as the clio, as for the megane 250, no idea

The race is on then... :wink:

What companies you 2 using or any home building happening?
I think If it all fits then great and you need to consider a standalone ecu as part of the cost now to save mega money on flashing a standard ecu over again. Like a link or gems ecu and piggy back it. I wish I was in a position to get the 250 engine and get that in :worried:

Whats good is first these are friends of mine, plus like I said they hope that this is commerical viable to the garage. Not sure how long will take to find a donor car.

That guy steve is good, sure he'll have no trouble doing the looms. Did a great job on my car!!! :smile:

Whats good is first these are friends of mine, plus like I said they hope that this is commerical viable to the garage. Not sure how long will take to find a donor car.

How is it gonna be commercial viable? Not many megane engines about and new ones from Renault are about 5k

How much are they from a scrappy/2nd hand? Cant be a cheap conversion surly? You both selling 197 engines?

How is it gonna be commercial viable? Not many megane engines about and new ones from Renault are about 5k

Need to ask them that....You would say the same about cosworth engine conversions but they are always putting them in something. I guess it just broadens their portfolio....Im not complaining, glad to see that their enthusiastic about doing it. Becomes a labour of love and a lot cheaper....

My car was originally bought as a toy. Was a damaged repairable which I put on the road for a fraction of the cost. Because I have no finance, sell on value or warranty issues...its an easier decision to make. Also Ebay has changed what you can pay for items. Just got to be patience and a little luck.....something always come up. I even bought my car off it!!!!! I have an agreed costs to fit, all depends on price of donor car. I'm hoping to find backend'ed write off......

Last edited:
Need to ask them that....You would say the same about cosworth engine conversions but they are always putting them in something. I guess it just broadens their portfolio....Im not complaining, glad to see that their enthusiastic about doing it. Becomes a labour of love and a lot cheaper....

i'm not being an arse, im just asking, just incase i've come across like that, 2nd hand engines complete with all bits are about 2 k, so all in all your looking at about 5-6k, that aint gonna be viable