Yellow Speed Vs Bilstein B14

Stealthist80

Paid Member
Sorry if this has been asked before but Looking at coilovers for my 200. Currently running cup suspension but want it lower. Looking for mainly fast road use with occasional track use. Not wanting to spend mega bucks on nitrons or AST so have nailed it down to either Yellow Speed or Bilstein B14.

What would people recommend? I realize the Bilstein are non adjustable but would assume quality is better than the yellow Speed.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Quality isn't better than YSR really, YSR are massive in the jap community, just first delve into French cars for them.

If you price up adjustable top mounts + B14s the YSR are cheaper.

This has been covered a few times so worth doing a search.

B14 have just monotube fronts, YSR is monotube front and rear, also adjustable dampers as you said, then top mounts too, adjustable height independent of damper stroke too, it's kind of a no-brainer.
On the FB pages many people are running them on road and track now, a few on here too (and a few who have secretly bought them and waiting to fit them).

Also BC Racing will be selling their kit soon, I have no experience on these for Clios (obviously they're not out yet lol) but BC Racing I have had on previous cars, good bit of kit too depending on price.
@leeboy has been working with them to fine tune the sets.

Last edited:
Quality isn't better than YSR really, YSR are massive in the jap community, just first delve into French cars for them.

If you price up adjustable top mounts + B14s the YSR are cheaper.

This has been covered a few times so worth doing a search.

B14 have just monotube fronts, YSR is monotube front and rear, also adjustable dampers as you said, then top mounts too, adjustable height independent of damper stroke too, it's kind of a no-brainer.
On the FB pages many people are running them on road and track now, a few on here too (and a few who have secretly bought them and waiting to fit them).

Also BC Racing will be selling their kit soon, I have no experience on these for Clios (obviously they're not out yet lol) but BC Racing I have had on previous cars, good bit of kit too depending on price.
@leeboy has been working with them to fine tune the sets.

Thanks @suj have you run either and if so what were your thoughts?

Thanks @suj have you run either and if so what were your thoughts?

I have driven both (I actually have a set of used B14s with adjustable top mounts in the attic, basically I was going to track my Clio before I bought another E36 to track instead lol, so I do need to sell them). But this was bought before YSR were out / was new.

I have driven a car with YSRs and they were so great, especially for the money (but i've had good experience with YSR, me best mate had a 190E Cosworth around 11 years ago and no one made coilovers except YSR, we did research as they were newish back then, he took the plunge and we were so amazed about them).

PS I am not saying B14s are crap, far from it, they're a good coilover, but as they were the only budget suspension option for us really, it's nice to have some competition with more importantly more adjustment to fine tune them.

Reactions: Stealthist80
I have run B14s for just under a year now. In my opinion they are a big improvement over cup dampers and springs. The combination of lowering the car with a decent damper means that the handling of my Clio was improved without the drive being too rough or harsh. But, I agree with @Sean197 B14s are probably best for fast road use rather than a track car as they are a bit too soft on track.

I am waiting for a set of Gaz Golds to turn up so I can replace the B14s. I am now looking for a stiffer ride and a suspension set up that I can get more negative camber with.

If I was going to buy either B14s from new or YSRs from new I would go for the YSRs. @Helpimonfire has a set of YSRs and I had a passenger ride in his car at Bedford and his suspension set up was stiff and planted like it should be for a track day.

I will be selling my B14s in the next 4 weeks (hopefully) so if you are interested in a cheap set of B14s for about £275 that have done about 8,000 miles and have no leaks etc. then let me know.

Reactions: Big Ben
Have you considered Gaz Golds? I run them and think they’re great. Not sure on cost these days but can’t be much dearer than yellowspeed or B14

I have run B14s for just under a year now. In my opinion they are a big improvement over cup dampers and springs. The combination of lowering the car with a decent damper means that the handling of my Clio was improved without the drive being too rough or harsh. But, I agree with @Sean197 B14s are probably best for fast road use rather than a track car as they are a bit too soft on track.

I am waiting for a set of Gaz Golds to turn up so I can replace the B14s. I am now looking for a stiffer ride and a suspension set up that I can get more negative camber with.

If I was going to buy either B14s from new or YSRs from new I would go for the YSRs. @Helpimonfire has a set of YSRs and I had a passenger ride in his car at Bedford and his suspension set up was stiff and planted like it should be for a track day.

I will be selling my B14s in the next 4 weeks (hopefully) so if you are interested in a cheap set of B14s for about £275 that have done about 8,000 miles and have no leaks etc. then let me know.
Thanks for the offer @burrellbloke but i'll be buying new and now swinging more towards the YSR

@Big Ben i was under the impression the GG's were more track biased and the majority of my driving will be fast road?
Possibly but as said you can spec custom spring rates to your preference and they come with adjustable top mounts should you wish to dial in some camber.
Fit and forget then probably b14 are what you want for FR

Reactions: Stealthist80
If you go for the YSRs I'd suggest going for the softer spring rates if you're mainly on the road. I have the track spec springs on mine and they're mega stiff. But mine has done about 1500 track miles and maybe 100 road miles in the last year.