Worth swapping or selling my 200 for a diesel Audi

Hello

The mpg on the 200 is quite frankly poor, I wasn't expecting it to be great but on average I'm getting 26-28mpg which is 60/40 motorway and town.

It's costing me £140 a month just in fuel and I barely go anywhere!

I'm thinking of getting an Audi A4 TDi which seems to do 50mpg meaning I would almost half my fuel costs and that's not taking into account cheaper tax (I think?) and cheaper insurance.

I do like the 200 but the costs are just too high for a little French hatchback.

I reckon I could get 8k for the 200 and then put another 1k towards it and buy a decent A4.

Does this seem like a sensible move?

Anybody else done anything similar?

Plus I will be moving next year which means a 20 minute drive each way to work and sometimes I have to drive for work (although I claim this back)

Cheers

I've actually just gone the other way. I owned various 172's for years but for various reasons I started doing mega mileage. I sold up and bought an e46 320D which was by far and away the best car i've ever owned. Fast forward 18 months and my commute was down from 320 miles to 6 miles. I've now gone and bought a 197. I knew what I was getting into fuel wise before I bought it as my fiancee had an R27 a while back.

I've an inbuilt hatred for Audi drivers, so my suggestion would be to go and try a BM :smile:

What about the extra money your gonna go and spend on the Audi? You ain't gonna get VAT back. Or the depreciation on yer 200.

Your fuel costs may be less but you'll make up for that saving by spending more on the car per month.

What about the extra money your gonna go and spend on the Audi? You ain't gonna get VAT back. Or the depreciation on yer 200.

Your fuel costs may be less but you'll make up for that saving by spending more on the car per month.

I have lost maybe 1500 on the 200 since I bought it but there's little Ivan do about that.

The extra money for the Audi is what I have saved.

you really need to work out the cost to change and the "potential" savings you would make - assuming it would do 50mpg...

I also monthly do more kilometers that I figured I would do, bit I cannot even imagine selling my 200..
Perhaps next year I will sell it and buy 4 door - A4 2.0 TDI or E90 320d (2nd child on the way) but for now I am enjoying every km.

An A4 TDI is a soul-less car and the pinnacle of boring! I'd give it some serious thought first.

At least get something like an Ibiza Cupra TDI and some better suspension.

I doubt you'll get 50mpg out of the A4 TBH. My 1.6 TDCI fiesta van for work struggles with that at only 90bhp and 1000kg its hardly a big estate like the Audi.

Like others have said if your going to put £1000 in to buying the Audi and claim to half you fuel of £140 month, thats a £70pcm saving it'll take you 14months to see any benefits on fuel. That also doesn't take in to account that Diesel is roughly 8% more expensive that Petrol at most stations (meaning 50mpg already becomes a real world 46mpg when you work the costs back)

This is all just money talk though, the question is, do you enjoy the 200? Will you enjoy having a big German car like the Audi instead?

Diesel Audi? When are you writing the suicide note because you might as well start now.....

This is all just money talk though, the question is, do you enjoy the 200? Will you enjoy having a big German car like the Audi instead?[/QUOTE]

100% agree with Speedy Gonzales the man can throw a go kart round and speaks much sense, what is main reason to be swapping car? Is it being bored of the clio or does the consumption ruin the fun element? Its hard times out there and cost of running a car can play a huge part in a decision but if ya break the figures down.... its less than £2 a day you will save on fuel in the real world. Is it worth it? Thats difference between a Greggs and a packed lunch or a pint on way home. I love my car and in truth I tend to just top car up and pay cash then throw the receipt, I don't want to know what it costs as it would spoil the fun. While ya can afford it and while ya enjoy it I would stick with Clio. Thats what I intend to do, once it becomes not worth it or bored then change

Well said Andy! So very true.

Some of my mates have made some bizarre moves in the name of 'saving money' such as losing £8,000 on swapping an Audi TTRS for a BMW 335D. It would take a LOT of time to make that money back in fuel saving!

...100% agree with Speedy Gonzales the man can throw a go kart round and speaks much sense...

8) 8)

I'm with you on the "fill it up, throw away the receipt". I do the same, I top it up, pay zero attention to fuel consumption then fill it up again when its empty. Occasionally I'll notice its drunk a tank of fuel in a week, but it's like a naughty puppy, I can't stay mad it the Clio, it's not her fault she has a drinking problem. :smiley:

Having said that I don't use it to commute, so I might be more conscious of it if I saw it as a daily expense. To me its more a luxury I choose, like going to the cinema or for something to eat, I could stay at home and eat for less and watch the T.V, but where's the fun in that?!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FunnyMan Clio 200 Area 15
chris_blue Spotted 0
MarcB eBay Finds 1
J Clio General Chat 3
Alex88 General Chat 2