Which Brake Discs?

Hello mates,

I'm on way to upgrade the brakes with discs for my R27

I have decided to go on FERODO DS2500 for the brake pads (Front and Rear)

My question now on which discs to go for?

GENUINE RENAULT CROSS DRILLED BRAKE DISCS

KTR BLACK EDITION GROOVED FRONT DISCS <== I vote on these!

BREMBO HIGH CARBON FRONT BRAKE DISCS <== Aren't those the stock discs supplied on our cars? Confirm please!

How are those compared to each other?

Is it must to change the rear as well? Because only renault cross drilled discs provide both, front and rear... (Not sure, I have to email K-Tec) But would it be a problem to mix with brands and types? Or shall I keep the rear as they are and change the pads only?

Link: http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio 197 Then click on Brakes on right side

Last edited:
I wouldn't fit crossed drilled disks, a lot of the R26 owners have had problems with them cracking. Go for grooved disks over drilled.
As for the HC disks I'm not 100% if they are the standard disks fitted to the 197, I remember reading somewhere that they were but all the forums say they are standard Brembo's. I'm trying to get to the bottom of that one

So the stock are not HC, what are the advantages for HC over stock material?

BTW, the grooved are HC Brembo as well but with black zink plat on them, i think it helps keeping them clean...

I think i'm going for:

Front Discs: KTR Black Grooved (Made by Brembo), Rear Discs: Stock
Front and Rear Pads by Ferodo DS2500

Any thoughts guys?

I'm not sure if the standard disks are HC I have read that they are, but also that they aren't. The black will wear off on the braking surface, the zinc plating is just to stop the disk going rusty and has no impact on performance.
The grooves in the disk will help keep the surface of the pad fresh and clean

any more info on this guys, ?

as i am looking into buying new front discs/pads but also unsure which ones to go for, :confused1:

oh btw what does H/C ^^^^^ stand for, doh, :tongue_smilie:

any more info on this guys, ?

as i am looking into buying new front discs/pads but also unsure which ones to go for, :confused1:

oh btw what does H/C ^^^^^ stand for, doh, :tongue_smilie:
HC stands for High carbon mate. I read some specs somewhere that said the standard disks were HC but I'm trying to confirm.

IMO the standard disks are great, I'd stick with them if I was you. I can get standard OEM disks for around £60 each, plus I can groove them for you if you want :wink:

You have to remember that the standard front disks are made by Renault, they are made by Brembo so your getting a really good quality disk. I will be sticking with standard when ours is due for some new ones I will just groove them. You can tell they are good quality disks when you machine them.

Last edited:
HC stands for High carbon mate. I read some specs somewhere that said the standard disks were HC but I'm trying to confirm.

IMO the standard disks are great, I'd stick with them if I was you. I can get standard OEM disks for around £60 each, plus I can groove them for you if you want :wink:

cheers rich,

what advantage does it give having them grooved for day to day driving if any rich, :'(

also then mate, what about pads if i am going to stick with standard discs ? ( not sure i need pads, but they aint dear so i will get some ).

thanks.

Firstly you need to fit new pads if you are getting new discs regardless of the life left in them. You should always put new pads in with new discs.

Secondly grooving them helps to keep the pad surface clean and fresh and helps the gases escape that are generated under heavy braking. For day to day driving I suppose grooving makes no difference, its when you go for a blast you'll notice.

Thirdly I rate the standard pads, if you want to upgrade get yourself some DS2500's but I'd stick with OEM if I was you.

Are you gonna change them yourself?

Firstly you need to fit new pads if you are getting new discs regardless of the life left in them. You should always put new pads in with new discs.

Secondly grooving them helps to keep the pad surface clean and fresh and helps the gases escape that are generated under heavy braking. For day to day driving I suppose grooving makes no difference, its when you go for a blast you'll notice.

Thirdly I rate the standard pads, if you want to upgrade get yourself some DS2500's but I'd stick with OEM if I was you.

Are you gonna change them yourself?

sounds like i shall stick with the standard step up then mate, how much for the stock pads do you know, ?

fitting myself, your having a laugh :lol::lol: not a chance im affraid. i like to get my hands dirty, but not that dirty lol.

cheers for the info rich, ( might take you up on your offer ).

I think you should be able to pick pads up for around £80 for OEM's

if you want the disks grooving let me know, I dont charge much.
and if you want me to change your disks & pads let mw know, I dont charge much :wink:

I know someone that sells OEM disks and pads cheap on MS, PM me if you want his details

Last edited:
I think you should be able to pick pads up for around £80 for OEM's

if you want the disks grooving let me know, I dont charge much.
and if you want me to change your disks & pads let mw know, I dont charge much :wink:

I know someone that sells OEM disks and pads cheap on MS, PM me if you want his details

PM,d you mate, :thumbup1:

I checked with my local dealer today about the standard discs and they confirmed that they are not HC!!

Still I won't take their answer as a reference... I emailed KTR on the same and waiting for their respond.

Mate, what is the advantage of having HC over standard? Is it less heat which will reflect on better performance or something else?

BTW, I asked my dealer on the brake oil, they said its Castrol Dot 4, and they don't recommend Dot 5

Any ideas on better brand or the Dot thing?

And I'm sorry I know I went off topic... :smile:

Easy one first, brake fluid. DO NOT use DOT5 fluid, its silicone based and completely useless in road cars, unless you are going to change it every month. Either use a good quality DOT4 or a DOT5.1. DOT5.1 is basically a better grade of DOT4 they are both compatible with each other and it doesn't need to be change any more frequently than DOT4. I use DOT5.1 in the Clio's although I would happily use a high quality DOT4.

Personally I wouldn't take the word of a Renault parts person but thats just me, I'm still not saying the standard disks are HC. Any steel that has a high carbon percent (0.5-1.5% iirc) is generally stronger and tougher, but thats a bit general, metallurgy is a very complex subject. High carbon steels can be more prone to cracking under constant temperature change and can become less "tough" making them wear faster. It all depends on what the other elements in the metal are. I would try and find out what the disks are designed for, if they are designed to do 4 laps of the ring before splitting, but give you the best braking you've ever know then you dont want them for road use :wink:

Im running DS2500 pads and KTR Black Edition discs and would def recommend these they are fantastic done a good few thousand on them now and i just touch the pedal and they still have bite and when the pedal is pressed hard they really stop you can even feel the front of the car nose diving into the road when you slam on..fantastic brake package.