Wheel detailing

Can anyone suggest a good product to keep black speedlines looking "black".
A polish or a brake dust repellant to stop them looking dull after a few days.

Cheers guys.

Hi guys

You might think twice about buying Bilberry after reading through this thread: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=218043&highlight=bilberry&page=2

I used to own Bilberry because everyone was telling me how amazing it is. Unfortunately, I found it was nothing special at all and I've since found much better products.

I sell Dodo Juice Supernatural Wheel Cleaner, which combines fantastic cleaning power with being PH neutral, so it can be used on even the most delicate of wheel finishes.

I also stock Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid which is very versatile and makes a fantastic wheel sealant. I'd put money on it lasting far longer than Poorboy's wheel sealant, not that this is a bad product, just that SNH is superior, in my opinion.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
well i have found the bilberry to work well and last ages - i dont use it in too strong a concentration as i clean my wheels regularly - it lasts ages

i have also used ag wheel cleaner and again that was great

the issue here is making sure you dont let your wheels get too filthy in the first place!!!

as for a wax...............i just use the same as used on the bodywork no need to have seperate waxes for all different parts of the car :biggrin:

well i have found the bilberry to work well and last ages - i dont use it in too strong a concentration as i clean my wheels regularly - it lasts ages

i have also used ag wheel cleaner and again that was great

the issue here is making sure you dont let your wheels get too filthy in the first place!!!

as for a wax...............i just use the same as used on the bodywork no need to have seperate waxes for all different parts of the car :biggrin:

What happened to me and, I think, what happens to many people is they use a wheel cleaner and think 'WOW, they look amazing' and they assume that the results are the wheel cleaner's doing. And, to be fair, the wheel cleaner has done its job... cleaned the wheels.

I think what people often don't realise is that, like brushing your teeth, the majority of the cleaning comes from the brushing action, rather than the toothpaste you're using, or in this case wheel cleaner. For this reason, I think that pound shop wheel cleaner, washing up liquid or even car shampoo will often achieve the same results that Bilberry can.

To be fair to Valet Pro, I still occasionally use their Blue Wheel Gel and I think this is a decent wheel cleaner for when wheels are in really bad shape. But it's acid based, which means you can't use on a regular basis, without the risk of stripping the paint.

I completely agree with your final two points, prevention is better than cure and specific wheel sealant is not required. All I'd add to that is that wheel protection must be able to cope with high temperatures. For this reason, traditional wax probably won't last for very long, whereas a modern synthetic sealant, like Supernatural Hybrid, are ideal and will often outlast and outshine specific wheel protection.

Last edited:
The only thing I'll add to this that hasn't been said 100 times before is what Monster has just posted. Normal waxes can be too soft to last on your wheels. I've found even when using a relatively hard wax (collinite) that it wears off fairly quick and has left sometimes a bit of residue behind (in that annoying little crease that runs down the spoke), which is then a total bitch to clean out.

I've always used autosmart smart wheels and it's pretty good. Even shifts the nasty deposits from my carbone lorraine pads without much trouble (These pads are notorious for bad dust).

ive used bilberry for 2 years and found it great i water it down and use it weekly and never had a prob i use to use AG Wheel cleaner now that was too acidy and really didnt give any results and did dim and make my alloys peel on my 172. as for was i use smart wax rim wax but when that runs out ill just use the wax i have for the body work as the rimwax does seem to last right long.

People seem to forget billberry is a budget product. £9 for a litre vs £20 for 650ml for Zymol.

It's good stuff IMO but it's not the best out there like some people think. I wonder how many people who say billberry is best have even tried Zymol, swissvax and cough! Dildo juice.

People seem to forget billberry is a budget product. £9 for a litre vs £20 for 650ml for Zymol.

It's good stuff IMO but it's not the best out there like some people think. I wonder how many people who say billberry is best have even tried Zymol, swissvax and cough! Dildo juice.

I still don't understand what you've got against Dodo Juice?!

I still don't understand what you've got against Dodo Juice?!

Its not good for the money.

£ for £ raceglaze is much better, in fact most maguires products are better.

I have used their clay, lube, sour power, rainforest rub and lime prime. With each one I could name half a dozen products that are similar priced and better.

You have come on here and quite rightly said don't follow the sheep with billberry wheel cleaner but then question my feelings on dodo juice.

Yet again I wonder how many people who sing dodo's praises have tried Swissvax, Zymol and Raceglaze?

The answer will be very few and don't just say price cos a pot of glasur is the same as super natural and titanium is cheaper so I'm not just being a snob.

Interesting that you haven't found any dodo products you like, I've never used any of them so can't comment but I've not heard anything bad from anyone else.

And also find it interesting you think swisswax/zymol do the best of everything? Certainly not the case

I think the whole zymol range is aimed at people who take great care of their car, washing it reguarly and not looking for massive cleaning ability and durability.

For example, their wheel cleaner is meant to be effective and easy to use as a product used for regular washes but its not meant to be good at shifting heavier deposits like the billberry/autosmart/Iron X/Wolfs products are.

EDIT: even zymol themselves say billberry is a better cleaner (Post 9): http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=142148&highlight=zymol

Last edited: