Wheel centre caps - scheming genius needed.........

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Just had my wheels freshly powder-coated Gloss Black and painted up all four hubs while i was there. Was really careful putting wheels back on so i didnt mark them on brake calipers etc, or mark them when doing up the wheel studs. I popped the original (Silver'ish) centre caps on and Voila !

First thing my workmates said was "Need black centre-caps Shuv".

So here the new caps now sit in my hand, and this [Standard] type affair pushes out from inside to remove. And the wheels are clearly now on the car............

Do i really have to take the wheels off individually to fit new caps ? I really dont wanna jam a screwdriver up the side of them to 'pop' them out and mark the new finish.

So drill a hole in the centre-cap (Dont wanna save them) to lever them off or.............................anyone else have a better idea or been here before ?

Its simple old caps = £, old caps with holes = 0. Pick them out with care or jack the car up remove each wheel, the diamonds on them usually fall off so if you pick them off little slots might give you enough with a right angled pick or two pull them there is a chance then may go back together no damage. The first tyre change the guys will not give a dam about your wheels or locking nuts anyway. By the time you wrote this you would have had a wheel off by now

Its simple old caps = £, old caps with holes = 0. Pick them out with care or jack the car up remove each wheel, the diamonds on them usually fall off so if you pick them off little slots might give you enough with a right angled pick or two pull them there is a chance then may go back together no damage. The first tyre change the guys will not give a dam about your wheels or locking nuts anyway. By the time you wrote this you would have had a wheel off by now

My guys will give a toss about my wheels. I wouldn't use anyone who didn't.

The caps were £8: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-57mm-...664158?hash=item3d132c20de:g:bAAAAOSwPc9W1aaX. Anyone even considering spending any amount of time farting around to remove a second-hand set carefully needs a head-check.....

But i hear your point on the Renault emblem coming off. Perhaps i can wedge that out - making cap removal easier. Cheers.

Otherwise im breaking the drill out :wink:

I would take the first wheel off and see how the 4 x £8 caps fit the genuine ones have a metal ring inside the legs to keep a tight fit, no point damaging the caps to find out the new ones are not up to the job. I remember a guy fired his mobile at the wall saying my new phone has been delivered I'll not need this one now to open the parcel to find a welcome pack and no phone in it, still makes me laugh.

I would take the first wheel off and see how the 4 x £8 caps fit the genuine ones have a metal ring inside the legs to keep a tight fit, no point damaging the caps to find out the new ones are not up to the job. I remember a guy fired his mobile at the wall saying my new phone has been delivered I'll not need this one now to open the parcel to find a welcome pack and no phone in it, still makes me laugh.

In that case - ones currently fitted are not original and neither are the new ones. Lug pattern on the rear to clip in is exactly the same....and neither has a metal ring inside.