whats the best super unleaded?

theyre all made to the same BS and will be very little difference between them. maybe a slight difference between 97-99RON but if anyone says they can feel one 97 is better than the other theyre either talking bull plop or have some superhuman sensitivities.

Sometimes the difference can be made by how long the super stuff has been sat there. they don't sell a huge amount so the tank doesn't get refilled particularly often. So if its been sat there less than a week then :thumbup: but if its been there a long time then :thumb1:
There was a thread a while ago that was kinda about this and some people were saying it made no difference how long it had been sat there.
IMO, fresher is better!

Since day one of picking up the 200 I have only used Sainsburys, I did get a tank of BPs stuff when I collected it though.

Tesco momentum is just additives and not actual 99ron or whatever is quoted. I noticed on my 182 that a few tanks of Tescos stuff emptied alot quicker than the Sainsburys and V Power that I usually used.

I would use V Power all of the time but I got fed up of traveling for it. Sainsburys is half of the distance therefore a lot more convenient for me.. Plus I collect nectar points.

You will only notice the difference on a car with a Turbo. Just use whatever is available. Anything you think you are noticing is placebo.

After using the major premium brands over the last 12 months here is my order of preference:

1. Sainsburys - car runs the smoothest, good power and mpg
2. Momentum - doesn't run as smooth but gives slightly better power but noticably more flatspots/kangarooing
3. BP Ultimate - same as Sainsburys strangely enough but waaaaay too expensive!!
4. V Power - very inconsistent results, the most flat spots/kangarooing
5. ESSO - same as V Power

I think the results vary from car to car IMO, and also I think that most people go for the cheapest option so not sure how 'fresh' some forecourts supplies may be.

This is so weird, because mine runs best on momentum but worst on Sainsbury's! I can tell the difference with the kangerooing, but performance not really.

All the fuel in New Zealand are from the same source in Singapore, except with Gull from Aussie. They even share the same storage in NZ. Only diff is additives.

For me I prefer Shell slightly better than Mobil, tend to get a bit more miles and power out of a litre.

Sometimes the difference can be made by how long the super stuff has been sat there. they don't sell a huge amount so the tank doesn't get refilled particularly often. So if its been sat there less than a week then :thumbup: but if its been there a long time then :thumb1:
There was a thread a while ago that was kinda about this and some people were saying it made no difference how long it had been sat there.
IMO, fresher is better!

Octane rating decreases over time, lecturer on combustion taught me that at uni so it's definitely true

So in theory because 97 octane isn't purchased as much as 95 so the 97 is stored longer the different fuel that's sold could both be around 95?

:001_unsure:

No one will notice any difference with one tank. You will need to get through 4 or 5 then start looking at MPG and driveabilty differences.

I work for a company in oil & gas. One of our main customers is Shell UK, mainly Shell Stanlow. I'm no expert on fuel by any means but have spoken to a few of the chemists at Shell Stanlow in the past, according to them, the additives in V-Power are far more advanced than any other Super unleaded. There are various tanker filling points down there (Tesco, sainsbury's, BP etc). They all use the base petrol that has been refined at Shell Stanlow. The only difference is that at the point of filling the tanker, the company have a seperate tank which adds their own additive to the base fuel. So the only difference in the fuels are the additives.

Personally I only use V-Power in my car as I find my car does run better on it. But there is a obviously a mixed opinion on which fuel is best, so its each to their own. Experiment with a few different fuels in your car and then stick with whats best for you.....................

I've only ever used Tesco 99 ron in mine which seems excellent, quite impressed also when I can also get 35 MPG with it too, unless you get a bit carried away with the loud pedal...

I use tesco 99 in my car after using v power for a while, did a tank of 95 in an emergency situation and she ran rough as. Can't tell the difference between v power and momentum. I've heard the ecu takes ages to adapt to fuel choice anyways I recon consistency is the key, that's why peoples cars settle with certain brands of fuel?

Best advice is to use a station which is very heavily frequented. That way the fuel is fresh.

I find no difference running mine on V-Power or Sainsbury's SUL as the Sainsbury's is always rammed

I work for a company in oil & gas. One of our main customers is Shell UK, mainly Shell Stanlow. I'm no expert on fuel by any means but have spoken to a few of the chemists at Shell Stanlow in the past, according to them, the additives in V-Power are far more advanced than any other Super unleaded. There are various tanker filling points down there (Tesco, sainsbury's, BP etc). They all use the base petrol that has been refined at Shell Stanlow. The only difference is that at the point of filling the tanker, the company have a seperate tank which adds their own additive to the base fuel. So the only difference in the fuels are the additives.

Personally I only use V-Power in my car as I find my car does run better on it. But there is a obviously a mixed opinion on which fuel is best, so its each to their own. Experiment with a few different fuels in your car and then stick with whats best for you.....................

I've done years miles upon miles in the Clio Sports. I totally agree with this. V-Power is by far the best fuel, as was Optimax before it.