197: Wet Roads = Shocking!

Anyone else find the control of the Clio in wet weather makes it a death trap? Had a few close calls when just sticking to the speed limit and coming to corners can feel it wanting to tail out! I have Event tyres on which are near enough new, I bought the car with them on. Not the best tyres and not the ones I would have put on myself but they are good enough. Big treads and have been on for about 3,000 miles now. What's your thoughts?

I had some "cheap" tyres on my old Suzuki Ignis Sport, they were good right up until there was a tiny bit if moisture in the air never mind during rain. Coming up to an S bend doing next to no speed (less than 30mph) car understeered, then oversteered and then ht the verge and rolled.

Lesson I learned then is - The value you put on your life is what you spend on your tyres.

Sorry but I'd put this down to the tyres you have. My 200 is pretty stable in the wet on the std SC3 tyres.. i.e. sensible until you start driving like a tool.

...has to be the tyres, my Conti's grip well even in the wet....plus if the roads have been dry for a long time then there will be more dust and grease lifted into the water, making for a bit less grip than a 'clean' wet road......

I would agree with the conti's, very good in the wet I have found. Even when worn there still good until you push to hard but happens with any tyre.

I agree with the other posts, mine is very good in the wet, on the standard conti's, sounds like your tyres want changing and stick the Event's on eBay.

mines on rs2.....very skittish in the wet but still can take corners - but compared to the other tyres the abs does work alot :001_unsure:

I'd say tyres mainly, but I will say that we had some rain here yesterday and the roads were very very slippy. My van was spinning the wheels in third on one road! Having driven my 197 with a group of us in Waes last year, with weather that can only be described as awfull, with the right tyres, these cars are amazingly good in the wet!

Last edited:
I've driven a 200 (not mine) round a v.wet track with standing water with no problems (traction control on) - tbh I was amazed at how hard it could be pushed in the conditions without going off. This with the stock Conti's. As others have said it sounds like rubbish tyres.

I got pilot exaltos on and I never feel like I'm losing grip in the wet I can still push it hard and not lose grip.

I'd say tyres mainly, but I will say that we had some rain here yesterday and the roads were very very slippy. My van was spinning the wheels in third on one road! Having driven my 197 with a group of us in Waes last year, with weather that can only be described as awfull, with the right tyres, these cars are amazingly good in the wet!

i also had no bother last year in wales in the full downpour running the conti 3s. cars always felt planted and capable even driving hard.
Change the tyres, will feel like a new car

I have Toyo Proxes on all round and in the wet they are not as good as the Conti's but still pretty damn good in the wet once a bit of heats into them.

As said many times, buy cheap get cheap. If i was you i'd upgrade them :smile:

Conti's are by far the best tyre, nice and soft and will grip the road. Think eBay is a shout with the Events then cough up for some Conti's. Had a shot of my mates 197 before with them tyres on and whipping it out round corners was unreal! Cheers lads.

Change the tyres, honestly the risk of running cheap tyres isnt worth the cost! The clio is one of the most stable cars Ive ever owned in the wet and I put that completely on the SP3's it runs. - Without dumping the clio the wheels NEVER spin

This is my first car from a almost 2 years ago, I was under the speed limit, hit a wombat (think like a pig) and spun 360 degrees through four trees onto my roof falling down a 10m ledge. Having been taught what to do in a spin I simply couldnt gain enough traction to stop the spin, I managed to slow it and got the front end going straight but the tyres were just too cheap and didnt hold the road. Its seriously not worth the risk driving on cheap rubber, it should be illegal. - these tyres were a khumo brand and were only 2 weeks old on the car, id had some OEM dunlops on prior and they suffered wheelspin MUCH less

IMGP3349.jpg
IMGP3413.jpg

Last edited:
Event tyres are simply shocking, end of the day there is just 4 patches each roughly the size of your palm which keep you in contact with the road, i would always make these the best.

i find the hankook v12's fine in the wet not as good as in the dry but u cant have it all, im afraid in this case u get what u pay 4, take the ones u got on off and sell as part worn, or just watch the weather forecast