Very white or LED number plate bulbs

never understood why would you waste your pennies and put led lights for the reg plate... love the way they blink when they're broke though :smile: makes me laugh! I say a few of these "must have mods" and you can get something decent for your clio... not even upgraded to the silvatecs... actually thought about putting an orange film on the front indicators, would look cool and oldschool

I've just ordered a set of LED's for both my sides and the interior lights..they are going to be the same ones i had on my Civic and they were extremely bright!!

Good old fleabay!!

So I decided I fancied some of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220664847704&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I already have them in the front of the Clio but wanted them for the number plate, and for the number place on the CR-V. Checked the bulb fitment on the CR-V and found that it was a 501, just like everyone said it was for the Clio, so didn't bother checking the Clio. Ordered Sunday night, according to the tracking info they attempted delivery yesterday and were at the collection office.

Left work early, rushed to the station, train, taxi to collection office, got home, and found that the Clio doesn't have 501's in the number plate but actually has C5W's, which are long and cylindrical with a contact at each end. So while I was able to fit some to the CR-V, I was nonetheless a bit miffed at they weren't right for the Clio.

So, while some Clios might have 501's in the number plate lights, some won't. Also according to HIDS-Direct the correct fitment for the 05on Clio is C5W.

Moral of the story - check your car before you buy.

a "501" is a capless push in bulb
t-16450-282.jpeg

and this is a C5W or 239 festoon bulb
std_239_festoon.jpg

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem ralphy, got some 501's for the number plate, as this is what was stated, turns out its a c5w! was also rather miffed lol

How did you get the bulbs holders out?? Is it a screwdriver effort? Having issues with these and getting the glovebox one out too!!

Hi lads,

Does anyone know the sizing of the festoons in the number plate lights on the 197's? I can't currently go and measure them myself otherwise I wouldnt have been lazy and asked on here :tongueout: Are they 36mm, 39mm, 42mm or some other size :smile: Thanks,
Josh