Val-Racing ATB LSD review

As above. The fitting needs to be done properly, and after that no maintenance. This is an ATB diff, so no clutch plates or anything, and it works with the normal gearbox fluid.

As above. The fitting needs to be done properly, and after that no maintenance. This is an ATB diff, so no clutch plates or anything, and it works with the normal gearbox fluid.
Cheers mate . I've got a new box to go into my Clio in the next month or two so might as well order one and get that fitted before I get the new box fitted

If you've got the spare cash, and you like to do track days, that is a great time to add a diff to the gearbox.

Depending on the condition of the box you are going to swap, you may want to get fresh differential bearings as well.

You would be mad to be pulling a second hand box apart to fit a new diff and not fitting new bearings! Same with any seals that are in there. They all have to come out and be put back on the new bits so you may as well spend the pittance on new stuff so you know it is all good.

James

Reactions: bedoef
I replaced the ring gear bolts - there is less thread engagement in the Val Racing diff with original bolts due to it being thicker. It took me ages and ages to find some bolts that fit without cutting down.
When the shim was measured was the VAL diff longer or shorter than the original one and the shim went back in before the bearing? Have one to be fitted but my gearbox guy is a bit nervous.

Reactions: bedoef
When I installed mine it was shorter and needed a shim under one of the bearings, it was about 1.5mm from memory

Reactions: Gorman
I replaced the ring gear bolts - there is less thread engagement in the Val Racing diff with original bolts due to it being thicker. It took me ages and ages to find some bolts that fit without cutting down.

Which bolts did you use?

Which bolts did you use?

f789f6a07d3df98e24ce0a0a09e3a056.jpg

These are what we use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a couple years on and I will say that this diff was a great value buy. No issues so far (knock on wood) through many track days and hard laps. I have since moved up to stickier rubber, and the diff hooks up no problems.

I have noticed a little slip when the axle hops a bit over bumpier sections of track, but the reaction of the diff is very quick and doesn't really impact lap times at all.

Like all the other guys on here have said, a diff transforms the car and is the best mod you can do to the clio, hands down.

Reactions: wootwoot
So a couple years on and I will say that this diff was a great value buy. No issues so far (knock on wood) through many track days and hard laps. I have since moved up to stickier rubber, and the diff hooks up no problems.

I have noticed a little slip when the axle hops a bit over bumpier sections of track, but the reaction of the diff is very quick and doesn't really impact lap times at all.

Like all the other guys on here have said, a diff transforms the car and is the best mod you can do to the clio, hands down.
How many road and track KMs have you done?

How many road and track KMs have you done?

Hard to say really. Gearbox was rebuilt in late 2018, and in the 2.5 years since the rebuild I have done around 35,000+ kms (I think). That include easily 12 track days, and at least 4 or 5 on 240 TW tires. Feels just as good as day 1.

Reactions: wootwoot
Have had some seat time with the val racing lsd now, so far, in my opinion its brilliant, you have to have some faith that if you get on the accelerator it will bite and pull you into the corner which it does which is what you would expect with a good diff on a fwd car, a lot will depend on the rest of your setup but i'm very happy with it. If this car had a lsd from the factory it would have been many times as legendary as it is. I still cant get full power down in 2nd in the wet which is probably more my tyre and chassis setup but other than that, brilliant.