Used track tyres and coldish day

At Oulton Park on Friday with andyi and mates.

I have a spare set of wheels with used yoko ao48s on (tread above wear markers). Standard wheels have contis on with 4-5mm left.

Question is on a coldish but dry day which would be better to use? Worried that as a track novice still I don't want to end up in the scenery due half worn cold summer track tyres. Won't be pushing beyond my ability but would value the opinions of more experienced people.

If it's wet I'll be on the contis.

Cheers.

AO48's all day long. Just take it easy the first few laps each time you go out and let them warm up. You'll know when they're "on" when going trough Cascades (first big left hander) because you'll feel the back digging in.

I would use the continentals

Your not chasing ten tenths and for now as a novice the conti will be better on anything other than a dry day with some track temperature.

Personally I'd go with the Conti's. You know they'll deal well with everything (cold temperature, cold track, possible rain (?)). With the way the weather is at the mo it could just piss it down out of nowhere, and the last thing you want is to lose your nerve and ruin your day.

A more experienced driver might choose the AD08's, and/or if you were sure of a warm/hot day then the AD08's would really be in a different league.

(The comment about experience isn't a dig by the way, just an honest opinion from one semi-novice to another :smile: )

ok will do - just a little nervous as there's stuff to hit, unlike at bedford.

AD08's all the way nick....oulton is in a total different league to bedford mate you'll love it,i did my second track day there a few weeks back and can't wait to go again

have you thought about some tuition? i had a session with one of the tutors and they really helped me get the best out of myself and my car round there

don't want to turn this into a "which tyre is best" thread but AD08's are equally as good as conti's in the wet if not better,i hear what the guys above are saying but AD08's will improve the experience

Personally I'd go with the Conti's. You know they'll deal well with everything (cold temperature, cold track, possible rain (?)). With the way the weather is at the mo it could just piss it down out of nowhere, and the last thing you want is to lose your nerve and ruin your day.

A more experienced driver might choose the AD08's, and/or if you were sure of a warm/hot day then the AD08's would really be in a different league.

(The comment about experience isn't a dig by the way, just an honest opinion from one semi-novice to another :smile: )

not taken as a dig - I am well aware of my abilities (or lack of) at the present time hence the question!!!!

I'd start off on the contis, and if theres another 197 running let them warm up the yokos for you!!

If you do swap sets part way through just remember the second set will be stone cold and very skittish if they have just been sat there, as per usual really just let both you and the tyres warm to the track, its a great circuit take the time to learn it and most importantly enjoy it!!

If it's dry you might as well use the Yoko's it saves trashing your road tyres, providing you get heat in them and it doesn't rain it'll be fine.

ah right sorry my bad,had no experience with these tyres but i'd bloody like some! they look awesome

i've not seen any clio owners running these,probably cos they are about £250 a corner new i think

no worries - got some 197 wheels with these part worns on for £480. They look to have a decent amount of wear left.

take both sets and try both, you make your mind up on the day, first trackday or not. you will feel which feels better for you on the day.:wink:
trackdays are about having safe fun and not having to worry about things,everyone is different and some members may love a trackday tyre on cold or damp track. some may like to use a road tyre, there is no right answer on this. it is what you like so try both and start the learn what you like on a cold trackday.

enjoy mate its such a buzz.

Last edited:
I actually used the A048s for most of the day in the end - fitted them mid morning. Hadn't really used the contis in anger up till then, mainly because of a series of red flags.

Needed a good 1-2 laps to get some heat in them - no grip when cold, unlike the contis. After that, to me they felt really good and lasted the day well.

AO48s are phenomenal tyre when the heat is in the rubber. We use them as standard at work on the S2 Exige

I'm tempted to get them next when the AD08s wear out. Even they were great at cadwell at 28 degrees ambient temp